Angry LJ4240n with 49.4C02 at power up - Help!

First let me say that I've dealt with this error many, many times. It's usually a corrupt file or a firmware fix.

This printer had old firmware from 2005, so I updated it to the newest from HP's website from 2013 (08.240.1). Still no luck. The printer worked fine when plugged into my laptop with a crossover cable. As soon as I plugged it into their network it came up with 49.4C02. I made sure their print queues were empty and even talked to the customer's help desk to have them clear their queues again. I got a replacement formatter with network having a firmware vers. from 2007, still got same 49 error. Updated it's firmware to 2013 version, still errored out.

Any ideas?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    LJ4240n with 49.4C02 at power up - Help!

Re: LJ4240n with 49.4C02 at power up - Help!

Can you still plug in your laptop and it works, If it does, then your customer has issue on network, bad cable, bad port on switch, could be almost anything. Does the 49.4c02 error come up right away .if you unplug the network cable does 49 come up. The embedded jetdirect on the formatter may have been damaged. you can disable the embedded jetdirect and install a regular jetdirect if it is cheaper than replacing the formatter again.

Ruled out the cable from printer to wall and swapped ports too. Thought about disabling embedded JetDirect and installing EIO but they decided to just replace the printer. Just hate it when I don't know the resolution.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    LJ4240n with 49.4C02 at power up - Help!

Most of the time it's corrupt print data or non-print data. If you can print from the laptop, you got some network node sending data to your printer that it doesn't like. The simple solution is to change the IP address at the printer and at the drivers. Let the sender send all the crap data it likes to the other address.

Just search this error, I can remember at least 4 threads on this topic. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Most of the time it's corrupt print data or non-print data. If you can print from the laptop, you got some network node sending data to your printer that it doesn't like. The simple solution is to change the IP address at the printer and at the drivers. Let the sender send all the crap data it likes to the other address.

Just search this error, I can remember at least 4 threads on this topic. =^..^=
    Yep, I suspected that there was still something coming down the line even though they said they cleared the multiple queues. (One of them was from an AS400.) That is the easiest solution but doesn't usually fly when you're dealing with a large multi-location corporation with a remote help desk. They have the adminstrative rights locked down, and they're usually resistant to change.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

They probably changed the IP when they installed new printer. I had one where I tried a loaner printer using the sameIP and hostname and it also had the 49 error. Until we changed the IP it didn't work. In other words it wasn't the printer but something being sent to it.
    Izzy

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I had this same problem. I know it wasn't the network, because we put in another machine of the same type in the same place with the same IP using the same cables, and it received everything correctly. I replaced the formatter with no luck. I can't remember what I said would be next, but the cust decided to just replace the machine and keep that one for spare parts. I really do wish we had resolved it, so let us know what you find out.