Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

LJ 5200 Tray 3 rollers are diff size than manual calls for???

Update. OK checked the HP part number/Identifier. It is the right add-on 500 sheet unit

Here is the crazy issue!
    went out on a PM service call. Had all rollers sep pads etc.
    Tray 3 calls for same rollers used in 4200 4250 4350 series (0036's and 0037's)

Here is the baffling kicker. The rollers in machine are smaller diameter more close to a 4000 series.

When I put the "correct" rollers in, the machine makes all kinds of noise and about 70% of time jams.
    For the moment is working ok on the "smaller rollers" but will need to be changed pretty soon.

Don't have a clue on difference in size.. Checked parts manual looked around on line. Called 2 printer support areas (Printer Works and Laser Pros International)
    Neither of their people ever heard of this issue.

Customer has two of these machines and both have the smaller rollers in them and both have the correct part number for the add-on 500 sheet drawer option on the back frame.

At a loss as to what the tires actually are

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: LJ 5200 Tray 3 rollers are diff size than manual calls for???

Seems like those should use the same rollers that the 5100 & 5000 use for their 500 sheet trays:

RF5-2634

Technician

Well unless the 5200 unit can use the 5100 tray and their IT people (it is a large bank with many branches)put the trays in. Good idea... I will order in those rollers and check.

Thanks!!!
    Update. Had one of those rollers in parts room. It has a different type hub. The 5200 tray is quite similar to the 4250/4350 series simply a wide format tray.
    Last edited by BobMontana; 07-30-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Update info

Ok... the reason I had suggested that was because the 500 sheet tray on the 5100 & 5000 take that roller. If you used the one suggested by the manual (the common 42xx/43xx), and that isn't working, then you've probably got some kind of mechanical malfunction there.

Technician

That may be the first thought... and thanks for suggestion. What I have here is a tray that works totally OK with the rollers that are in it (other than they need to be replaced probably within the next 2,000 prints. These working rollers are decidedly smaller in diameter than what is called for. WHEN I put in the correct the one in the tray itself actually seems like a bad fit and then of course the noise as if the lift motor and tray position are having issues setting and functioning properly.

Are you sure they're all the way on? And check that the little clips on the end are getting into the groove on the shaft.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    LJ 5200 Tray 3 rollers are diff size than manual calls for???

Quote Originally Posted by BobMontana View Post
    That may be the first thought... and thanks for suggestion. What I have here is a tray that works totally OK with the rollers that are in it (other than they need to be replaced probably within the next 2,000 prints. These working rollers are decidedly smaller in diameter than what is called for. WHEN I put in the correct the one in the tray itself actually seems like a bad fit and then of course the noise as if the lift motor and tray position are having issues setting and functioning properly.
    The 500 sheet tray unit should be a Q7548A for the 5200. With 3 rollers , 1 pick, feed and sep roller. The 500 sheet tray unit for the 5000 and 5100 is Q1866A and it has 4 half moon pick rollers, feed roller and sep roller. I checked HP tech support site and there was nothing about a roller change for the Q7548A.