Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

cp3525 with 59.f0 error

I have a CP3525 with a 59.f0 error. ITB Contact Alienation error.

I've checked that the sensor is working (through the manual sensor tests in the control panel) and it does work. I pulled the cyan ctg out and watched the transfer belt lower and raise, as well as saw that the flag is indeed passing through the sensor. I've also replaced the transfer unit itself.

Any ideas?

Also... when I did the ITB Contact/Alienation component test, I watched the drive turning. It did make some clicking noises as it turned, but it didn't seem to skip. But maybe it's not supposed to click like that? This is the first time I've run that test on one of these, so I don't know.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    cp3525 with 59.f0 error

Re: cp3525 with 59.f0 error

Check this out, looks like a pain

59.F0 Error

Description:
    Printer boots up to 59.F0 Error and is unable to print. This behavior may be caused by one of the following two conditions:
    • Transfer belt is stuck and cannot rotate.
    • Sensor SR17 (primary transfer-roller-disengagement) is bad.

Recommended Action:

• Have the customer reseat the ITB and power-cycle the printer.
      NOTE: If the problem persists, an HP Certified Technician should be dispatched for further troubleshooting.

CAUTION: The following steps should only be performed by an HP Certified Technician.

• Inspect the ITB by taking the ITB completely out of the printer. Check to see if the flag rotates when the white knob is turned. See the Figures below.
    • If the ITB flag is broken or damaged, replace the ITB (CC468-67907). Otherwise, continue with step 4.
    • Open the right door and defeat the interlock switch. With the ITB removed, perform the ITB Contact/Alienation Test. To run the ITB Contact/Alienation Test, follow these steps:

• Press the Menu button.
      • Press the Menu button.
      • Press the down arrow to highlight COMPONENT TEST , and then press the OK button.
      • Press the down arrow to highlight ITB CONTACT/ALIENATION , and then press OK. During the test (takes about 20 seconds), observe the alienation drive hub, which is above the cyan cartridge. If the alienation drive hub does not rotate, the problem could be the fuser motor or the fuser-drive assembly. The fuser motor is already included in the Fuser Drive assembly.
      • If it completes successfully, EXIT DIAGNOSTICS will be displayed. Press the OK button to exit and continue with next step.

• Test Sensor SR17. Perform the Manual Sensor Test. In order to run this test successfully, make sure the Fuser, ITB, Cyan Cartridge, and Black cartridge are removed. To run the Manual Sensor Test, follow these steps:

• Press the Menu button.
      • Press the down arrow to highlight DIAGNOSTICS , and then press the OK button
      • Press the down arrow to highlight MANUAL SENSOR TEST , and then press the OK button.
      • Observe the state of sensor I on the control panel. The normal state is 0.
      • Locate SR17 through the right side of the printer. It is attached to the frame of the printer just above where the end of the black cartridge comes into contact with the back of the frame. Insert a piece of paper into the SR17 sensor bracket. The state of sensor I on the control panel should change to 1. See Figure below to confirm location of SR17 and placement of paper to test it.
      • Observe the control panel for proper operation of the sensor. If the value for sensor I does not change, the sensor will need to be replaced. (Photo interrupter (SR17) - WG8-5696-000CN)

To replace SR17:
    There is no need to replace the entire rear pre-exposure assembly (that contains SR17) if the sensor is defective. Just order the sensor replacement component: Part Number WG8-5696-000CN, Photo interrupter. Then follow these steps to replace the sensor:
    • Turn the printer off.
    • Before proceeding, remove these supplies:
      • Black and Cyan cartridges
      • Fuser
      • ITB

NOTE: Once the supplies are removed and the unit is ready to be worked on, make sure there is enough light inside the printer to see what you are doing.

• Locate sensor SR17 as described above. The sensor is embedded in a small holder. See the Figure below.
    • With your left hand, grab the sensor and tilt it back away from you until it pops out of the front of its holder. Then tilt the sensor towards you to remove it from the holder. See the Figure below.
    • Gently pull the sensor away from the attached cable to release it from the cable. You may need a small screwdriver to assist in this step.
    • Attach the new sensor to the cable. You may need a small screwdriver to help guide the cable into the sensor connector. Ensure the sensor connector and cable is properly seated. See the Figure below.
    • Place the sensor back in the holder, angling the cabled end in first, until it is properly seated in the holder.
      The approximate time required to replace this sensor is 15 minutes.
    • Reinstall all removed components and retest.
    • If the issue persists (Intermittently or permanently), perform a fuser motor (M2) COMPONENT TEST:

• Remove the Fuser.
      • Defeat the right door safety switch (upper left area) by inserting a stiff or folded piece of paper.
      • Defeat the right door logic switch (right side below fuser) by using masking tape to hold switch down.
      • On the control panel, press the Home button, press the down arrow to highlight the DIAGNOSTICS menu and press OK , select COMPONENT TEST and press OK , and then select FUSER MOTOR and press OK .
      • During the test, observe the fuser motor gear.
      • If the test fails or the fuser motor gear does not rotate, replace the fuser motor (M2).

NOTE: To exit the diagnostic, select EXIT DIAGNOSTICS and then press OK .

• If the fuser motor is working properly, perform an ITB Contact/ Alienation Test :
      NOTE: This test activates the fuser motor (M2) and primary transfer solenoid (SL1) to cycle through the ITB alienation stages.

• Defeat the right door safety switch (upper left area) by inserting a stiff or folded piece of paper.
      • Defeat the right door logic switch (right side below fuser) by using masking tape to hold switch down.
      • On the control panel, press the Home button, press the down arrow to highlight the DIAGNOSTICS menu and press OK , select COMPONENT TEST and press OK , and then select ITB Contact/ Alienation Test and press OK .
      • During the test, observe the alienation drive hub located above the cyan cartridge.
      • If the test fails or the alienation drive hub does not rotate, replace the fuser-drive assembly.

NOTE: To exit the diagnostic, select EXIT DIAGNOSTICS and then press OK .

• Check the connections again to the primary-transfer disengagement sensor J19 and to the connector J128 on the DC controller PCA before reinstalling the ITB.
    • Remove any items used to defeat the right door switches, reinstall the ITB and any other components removed during testing.

13. replace dc controller

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    cp3525 with 59.f0 error

if there is grinding noise and 59.f0 and you checked previous info on transfer belt and sensor check this:

During boot up the printer makes a grinding or clicking noise at the right side of the printer near the fuser. This issue could be related to a broken or damaged fuser drive gear. To solve the issue it is necessary to replace the fuser drive. It is possible in some instances that the printer may post a 59.F0 error during boot-up.
    Solution

• Make sure the initial troubleshooting was done by following the instructions from the Control Panel Message Document (CPMD) available in SAW.

• After following the steps advised in these documents, it is necessary to remove the fuser drive assembly by following the service manual instructions and look for the following gear and check for damage.

Figure 1: Damaged gear

Figure 2: The fuser drive assembly

Please refer to the service documentation and HP Part Surfer in order to look for the fuser drive assembly part number.

I got it fixed. I'll post the solution with pics later.

So to recap:

• The hub was turning when running the component check, as expected.
    • The hub clicked with each turn, as expected (I only know this because it continued to do it AFTER fixing the problem).
    • The flag on the ITB turned, as expected.
    • The sensor worked, as expected.
    • After replacing the ITB, the 59.f0 error continued.

I finally decided to go for the fuser drive assembly. If you ever have to bid this job, leave yourself at least 2 1/2 hrs. The hardest part is just getting all the cables and harnesses back through the guides and plugged into the right spot. If you follow the manual's directions (especially lining up the cartridge cams), you shouldn't have any problems.

The gears turning the hub are timed, and they were out of alignment, as shown in the pic below. So even though the hub was turning, it wasn't turning right. The gear is actuated by a good old solenoid... so in about 8 years, I imagine these things are going to get stuck like they do in the 4300's and older machines.

I got a new one, since they're cheap and I didn't want to have to tear it all apart again. It might have been fine if I had just realigned things, but I wasn't going to take the chance.

cp3525.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    So to recap:

• The hub was turning when running the component check, as expected.
    • The hub clicked with each turn, as expected (I only know this because it continued to do it AFTER fixing the problem).
    • The flag on the ITB turned, as expected.
    • The sensor worked, as expected.
    • After replacing the ITB, the 59.f0 error continued.

I finally decided to go for the fuser drive assembly. If you ever have to bid this job, leave yourself at least 2 1/2 hrs. The hardest part is just getting all the cables and harnesses back through the guides and plugged into the right spot. If you follow the manual's directions (especially lining up the cartridge cams), you shouldn't have any problems.

The gears turning the hub are timed, and they were out of alignment, as shown in the pic below. So even though the hub was turning, it wasn't turning right. The gear is actuated by a good old solenoid... so in about 8 years, I imagine these things are going to get stuck like they do in the 4300's and older machines.

I got a new one, since they're cheap and I didn't want to have to tear it all apart again. It might have been fine if I had just realigned things, but I wasn't going to take the chance.

cp3525.jpg
    I am adding three photos of the solinoid type that is under the plate above. I found the solinoid was sticking in the release position and causing the flag to move when it should have homed. The resolution was to clean the old Foam pad off. as you can see in the photos.IMG_0274.JPGIMG_0272.JPGIMG_0273.JPG
    The sticking solinoids effect most printers and cleaning the pads off will resolve most of those errors that seem to make no sense. My thanks to all posts on this subject, helped me to figure this out.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bernielhat View Post
    I am adding three photos of the solinoid type that is under the plate above. I found the solinoid was sticking in the release position and causing the flag to move when it should have homed. The resolution was to clean the old Foam pad off. as you can see in the photos.IMG_0274.JPGIMG_0272.JPGIMG_0273.JPG
    The sticking solinoids effect most printers and cleaning the pads off will resolve most of those errors that seem to make no sense. My thanks to all posts on this subject, helped me to figure this out.
    Thank you for posting this part of the solution. A problem on an older HP with a sticky solenoid noise reduction pad was a large part of the reason I stopped being a lurker and joined CTN back in the day.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    cp3525 with 59.f0 error

Fuser drive may not have been my problem, but I replaced it anyway since I was that deep into the printer. The gears lined up. There was no thumping/grinding. What I did notice, however, was the black cam on the main drive assembly was not timed correctly. The printer would successfully reach a ready state, but, as soon as it started to calibrate, it threw the 59.F0 error. The fuser motor, ITB contact/alienation, and SR17 all tested good, so, I figured it had to be a timing issue.

DaIceMan

Hi all, just wanted to add my experience with this issue.
    In my case the ITB was moving (the black was window rotating properly) and the gear was rotating upon visual inspection and the optical sensor was working fine. However shortly after powering on the printer a "whirring" sound would be heard and the 59.F0 error would popup and the printer would be offline. Also when running the ITB diagnostic a this whirring noise would also be heard sometimes which was never heard before.
    Following Bernielhat's suggestions, I resolved the problem removing and cleaning the degraded foam "click silencer" from the solenoid actuator lever. In our case the gear was not misaligned and nothing was broken and the solenoid was working fine, it was just sticking so that the gear did not stop when it should have as the actuator would not "drop" in time and a "whirring" o fast clicking noise (like slipping gears) was heard from the side. This is because the large "double gear" has a small dent/camme where the solenoid actuator should lock on to stop it from rotating but being held back by the sticky foam it would drop after half a second missing the stop point. The gear would then rotate too far as it is spring loaded and hit the relevent primary gear. When the primary gear rotated it's gears would "slip" on the spring loaded gear and create the whirring or clicking noise which I heard as out of alignment. This subsequently misaligned the ITB black "window" which rotates on the ITB and the relevant sensor would not detect the correct position resulting in the 59.F0 error. For additional reference I will attach some photos of the solenoid and gear assembly.
    20151130_182338.jpg20151130_182426.jpg20151130_182350.jpg

The solenoid can be dismantled easily (the photos show the solenoid without the actuator which I already removed): after unscrewing the 2 screws from the solenoid assembly, remove the solenoid from the gear assembly lifting and rotating it out. Then carefully remove the actuator spring and lift off the metal actuator by slightly tilting it to one side and lifting it off, it's easier said than done. Clean off the black adhesive pad using some alcohol or solvent. I used first my finger then some alcohol and my nails to remove the remaining adhesive. Remount it the opposite way, first the actuator then the spring and place it back in the gear subassembly taking care of lifting the metal actuator with a small screwdriver while inserting it back into position as it will get in contact with the gear if not pressed back. Hold it there and put the 2 screws back into place.

20151130_182342.jpg

The "clicking" is barely noticeable once the printer is closed up and running so I don't really know why hp decided to place that pad there. It took me 4 hours to get the thing apart and back together as there is no other way to access the solenoid. The contact surface is large so it won't consume or dent the actuator in any way.

Kudos for the sticky/foamy pad on the actuator which saved me debug time and money!

DaIceMan

Thumbs up Re: cp3525 with 59.f0 error

Hi all, just wanted to add my experience with this issue.
    In my case the ITB was moving (the black was window rotating properly) and the gear was rotating upon visual inspection and the optical sensor was working fine. However shortly after powering on the printer a "whirring" sound would be heard and the 59.F0 error would popup and the printer would be offline. Also when running the ITB diagnostic a this whirring noise would also be heard sometimes which was never heard before.
    Following Bernielhat's suggestions, I resolved the problem removing and cleaning the degraded foam "click silencer" from the solenoid actuator lever. In our case the gear was not misaligned and nothing was broken and the solenoid was working fine, it was just sticking so that the gear did not stop when it should have as the actuator would not "drop" in time and a "whirring" o fast clicking noise (like slipping gears) was heard from the side. This is because the large "double gear" has a small dent/camme where the solenoid actuator should lock on to stop it from rotating but being held back by the sticky foam it would drop after half a second missing the stop point. The gear would then rotate too far as it is spring loaded and hit the relevent primary gear. When the primary gear rotated it's gears would "slip" on the spring loaded gear and create the whirring or clicking noise which I heard as out of alignment. This subsequently misaligned the ITB black "window" which rotates on the ITB and the relevant sensor would not detect the correct position resulting in the 59.F0 error. For additional reference I will attach some photos of the solenoid and gear assembly.
    20151130_182338.jpg20151130_182426.jpg20151130_182350.jpg

The solenoid can be dismantled easily (the photos show the solenoid without the actuator which I already removed): after unscrewing the 2 screws from the solenoid assembly, remove the solenoid from the gear assembly lifting and rotating it out. Then carefully remove the actuator spring and lift off the metal actuator by slightly tilting it to one side and lifting it off, it's easier said than done. Clean off the black adhesive pad using some alcohol or solvent. I used first my finger then some alcohol and my nails to remove the remaining adhesive. Remount it the opposite way, first the actuator then the spring and place it back in the gear subassembly taking care of lifting the metal actuator with a small screwdriver while inserting it back into position as it will get in contact with the gear if not pressed back. Hold it there and put the 2 screws back into place.

20151130_182342.jpg

The "clicking" is barely noticeable once the printer is closed up and running so I don't really know why hp decided to place that pad there. It took me 4 hours to get the thing apart and back together as there is no other way to access the solenoid. The contact surface is large so it won't consume or dent the actuator in any way.

Kudos for the sticky/foamy pad on the actuator which saved me debug time and money!