Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts landspeeder's Avatar

hp DJ 5000 error B0008 and other problems

So I go on site a while back and find a printer that says some of the new or old printheads are not seated...if you take them out it detects there not there...put them in and it says to reseat them...its every other printhead not all of them...so I find the trailing cable is crunched up and a few traces are broken, at the carriage end and I feel that is the problem... also it throws a B0008 error which says that one of the cooling fans is not detected..they are plugged in.. so I change the trailing cable and it makes no difference...it goes to the B0008 error and no further but once it actually went to almost ready and said every 2nd printhead needs reseatting...So can a bad trailing cable have shorted anything?

help!!! me!!!
    You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.... and
    if this was an easy thing to do then everybody would be doing it! But it isn't and they are not!!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: hp DJ 5000 error B0008 and other problems

Usually the reseat printhead error can be bad heads. How much is this plotter used? Printheads have expiration dates. They might still be usable, but if they expired, that is just cause to have customer replace them. Last plotter I had in shop had heads that expired 6 years ago.

I don't think the cable is going to short out the board, as it is mostly moving data. No high voltage. You might try reseating the cable again.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

The plotter is in a colledge...so used a lot... but to have every other print head saying reseat...6 printheads...2,4, 6 saying to reseat...also what do you think about the b0008 ..manual says that if all fans are plugged in then change some pca board...can that board also affect the printheads....or is this two different issues?? What you think??

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Usually the reseat printhead error can be bad heads. How much is this plotter used? Printheads have expiration dates. They might still be usable, but if they expired, that is just cause to have customer replace them. Last plotter I had in shop had heads that expired 6 years ago.

I don't think the cable is going to short out the board, as it is mostly moving data. No high voltage. You might try reseating the cable again.
    You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.... and
    if this was an easy thing to do then everybody would be doing it! But it isn't and they are not!!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Usually plotters I get are military and basket cases when I get them. If this is a regularly used machine, and it woke up one morning with all of these errors and issues, then I would say it is most likely the board. However that is just a guess. If you want a better second opinion, HP has a public forum that any tech can use. Look for a senior poster named David Zuts. I got some questions answered when I first started working on plotters. He is still there. Get a price on the board, it may be cheap enough to go ahead and change. Keep in mind that a new plotter starts at over $4,000 and that makes anything on that one worth repair.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The trailing cable won't give you reseat messages, but it is critical that it's connected correctly and not damaged. A shorted trailing cable can damage the carriage and or main PCA. One printhead can affect others because they're in a sort of matrix. Always replace consumables first before replacing other hardware. If you can, take the printheads to another 5x00 and try them. Inspect the flex cables in the carriage that contact with the print heads. Ink and other dirt/debris can cause connection issues. Only clean them with water; I use Simple Green, but don't use alcohol, it will melt the plastic and deform the cable.

On the fan, there's 2 and they plug into the power supply. They're almost always clogged with dust when I see them. Make sure the fans spin freely. If I remember correctly, one will come on, and then the 2nd one during initialization. If one isn't spinning, try swapping their connections; see if it's the fan or the board. If the fans have been clogged, the power supply may be shot from overheating.

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Kiran,

I appreciate all the answers you give us on these plotters. For those of us who are just getting into the plotter world, your experience (and willingness to share it) is valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Kiran,

I appreciate all the answers you give us on these plotters. For those of us who are just getting into the plotter world, your experience (and willingness to share it) is valuable.

Those are great answers!!! Thanks ..I did change the trailing cable because it was badly damaged and some traces looked broken....the trailing cable and the fans plug into the same board...so errors from both seem to point to the board...the service manual says for the b0008 error if the fan is ok and plugged in then change the board....it looks possible that since the board is common to both its bad

A B0008 means a power supply fan is not detected; the power supply fans plug into the power supply, not the main PCA.

A B0007 means the vacuum fan is the problem, B0009 is the aerosol fan; both of these do connect to the main PCA.

Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Kiran,

Thank you for the thanks! I know I don't know everything, and I've made my share of mistakes, but I like to try to help when I can.

Kiran

So if the cooling fan for the power supply ia alright....then why does the service manual say to replace the main PCA...?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Thank you for the thanks! I know I don't know everything, and I've made my share of mistakes, but I like to try to help when I can.

Kiran