Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

HP Laserjet P4515 with 13.30 and 13.01 jams (Paper Feed 1, Paper Late Jam)

I got to work on an interesting printer today, a dual tray P4515 printer with a very specific and very odd jam.

When tray 1 or tray 3 is used no jams, runs just fine.

When tray 2 is used it will either pull one piece of paper, which will come out blank and clears the fuser, sits halfway out of the exit. This doesn't always happen. But what will always happen is there will be one sheet that will go up, and just as it hits the transfer roller, there is a grinding noise (it sounds like gears clicking) and it stops dead. The piece of paper is about an inch and a half past the transfer roller with nothing but a dirtyish black line across the page.

It sounds like the grinding noise is coming more from the front of the printer.
    As I said, the manual feed tray and tray 3 which has to feed past tray 2, does not jam at all.

I tried swapping cassettes, changed the rollers, tried another toner cartridge, checked the tray 2 feed solenoid, checked the action of the rollers, and tried to at least manually move the tray 2 paper pickup drive assembly.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: HP Laserjet P4515 with 13.30 and 13.01 jams (Paper Feed 1, Paper Late Jam)

I don't know how much this will help, but I had a similar problem on an older HP which turned out to be the the linkages from the solenoid were getting stuck on worn rubber noise reduction pads. If time permits, you might check that out.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

It's not the solenoid sticking, that was one of the first things I checked, hoping that was the problem. That solenoid has been the source of a lot of my 4250 service calls though.
    Thanks for the reply.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The loud noise sounds like the ratchet gear on the registration assy. If paper is being forced through the registration assy without the clutch engaging that could explain the noise. Have you done a sensor test and upgraded the firmware. Also could try removing the optional tray and testing. Also I would inspect the pre feed sensor and the paper path guides around it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

There is a spring that breaks the one that is used to clear paper jams before the toner cartridge wrap around area and it has a green handle. Had these break a couple times sounds like the issue.
    Izzy

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm scheduled to look at the printer on Monday and this gives me a few ideas of some things to check.
    Thank you.