Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    LaserJet P4515 Firmware problem

So I decided it would be a good idea to update the firmware on a P4515 before reselling it. Wrong.....
    I did apparently make the mistake of doing it with tray 3 and the duplexer attached, and got the "checking paper path" message. I removed both of them, and now I`m getting "Resend Data". I`ve tried several times to do the firmware update. It completes but the message returns.
    I've found a couple different threads on this but I`m unclear on whether there is a solution outside of replacing the formatter (?)

Frustrating! Since the printer functions perfectly except for that constant screen message

The update was done with the firmware utility (?). Afterwards I tried the Remote update via the web browser, but it doesn't connect and returns with an error.
    Any advice is appreciated.

EDIT: In the event that I do replace the Formatter. Can some of you HP Experts give me some advice in that area, even if you don't have advice about the firmware issue.
    The SM discusses replacing the Formatter and DC controller together. Does that mean they must be replaced as a pair?
    Also, I'm getting some conflicting information about board compatibility. I can get my hands on a used formatter board, but it is from a P4015. Are they the same? and can it just be swapped in??

Thanks again
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 01-11-2015 at 01:52 AM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: LaserJet P4515 Firmware problem

Try the instructions on how to reset rfu errors posted in this link. Worked for me when I had the same issue.

P4015/4515 firmware upgrade issue 04.170.3 Resend ... - HP Enterprise Business Community

Quote Originally Posted by Elmtech View Post
    Try the instructions on how to reset rfu errors posted in this link. Worked for me when I had the same issue.

P4015/4515 firmware upgrade issue 04.170.3 Resend ... - HP Enterprise Business Community
    I can't thank you enough for this!
    Problem solved!

Although, I still get the message "clearing paper path", when I attach tray 3. I guess I may have bricked that . But I can live with it.

In case the link you gave me ever disappears, and perhaps to help someone else down the road, the fix that solved my problem was this:

1. Turn the printer power off
    2. Power the printer back on and watch for the memory count to begin
    3. Hold down the Cancel (X) button when you see the memory count begin. Continue holding this button down until all three printer control panel lights flash once and then remain on. This may take up to 10 seconds.
    4. Press the SELECT (OK) button and then the MENU button.
    5. Scroll down until you see “Clear All RFU Errors”.
    6. Press the SELECT (OK) button twice until the highlighted cursor is the letter ‘C’ in the word ‘Clear’.
    7. Scroll down until you see “Set Runmode to Manual”.
    8. Press the SELECT (OK) button once until the highlighted cursor is on the letter ‘R’ in the word ‘Runmode’.
    9. Scroll down until you see “Set RFU Error Off”.
    10. Press the SELECT (OK) button twice until the highlighted cursor is on the letter ‘S’ in the word ‘Set’.
    11. Turn the printer off and power back on.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Try updating the firmware with all accessories removed and than reattach. It shold work.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmtech View Post
    Try updating the firmware with all accessories removed and than reattach. It shold work.
    I thought about trying that, but I was just so pleased to get it back up........and ALSO a little nervous about screwing it up again.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow, and let you know.
    Thanks again!

Re-installed the firmware, but still got message "clearing paper path" when tray 3 was attached. Took the tray to a colleagues shop, and attached it to his printer, and again "clearing paper path". It seems that the programming of the control board in the paper tray got corrupted.
    Lesson learned.