Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

P4015 went back to P4014

Installed a used formatter into a P4015 and now the machine sits as a P4014. I waited several minutes, power cycled and still a P4014. I cold reset, NVRAM clear, and upgraded firmware with no luck. I have more formatters I can install but I do not think that will resolve it.

I think I saw that there is a file HP can send to fix this. Does anyone have this file?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: P4015 went back to P4014

Found this link with a pjl commands to set the model name and number.

LASERJET P4015 - HP Enterprise Business Community

Note if it is set wrong the machine will generate errors.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Elmtech View Post
    Found this link with a pjl commands to set the model name and number.

LASERJET P4015 - HP Enterprise Business Community

Note if it is set wrong the machine will generate errors.
    we already use pjl to set the model number, serial number etc. But not the model name. I will try that but I think that only changes it on the config page, and does not actually change the machine settings

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    P4015 went back to P4014

Used formatters that have already had their personalities "burned in" on the formatter will downgrade any printer you put them in. Unlike the 4240/4250/4350 printers, there isn't a known way of restoring the printer personality back to a P4015. You are pretty much stuck with a P4014.

New OEM formatters are blank and do not have P4014/P4015 personalities. When you install them, the printer writes to the board telling the formatter what machine it is, automatically entering the serial number into the formatter. If it already is a P4015 with a different serial number the printer is, for lack of a better description, "confused". The printer is trying to write to the formatter and the formatter tries to write to the printer. The information doesn't match so the printer is downgraded. Sorry.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    P4015 went back to P4014

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Used formatters that have already had their personalities "burned in" on the formatter will downgrade any printer you put them in. Unlike the 4240/4250/4350 printers, there isn't a known way of restoring the printer personality back to a P4015. You are pretty much stuck with a P4014.

New OEM formatters are blank and do not have P4014/P4015 personalities. When you install them, the printer writes to the board telling the formatter what machine it is, automatically entering the serial number into the formatter. If it already is a P4015 with a different serial number the printer is, for lack of a better description, "confused". The printer is trying to write to the formatter and the formatter tries to write to the printer. The information doesn't match so the printer is downgraded. Sorry.
    If you want the issue corrected, you have to contact HP Support, They will require info from printer and then create a multi-byte file that can reflash the formatter to correct model number, pjl file is used for s/n, page count and other. When installing formatter you need to wait at least 5 minutes then reboot, wait another 5 minutes and reboot again. (per HP). Same with DC controller. If you replace fomatter and DC controller at same time , must do 1 at a time and follow reboot procedure for each.