Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP 4050 error 41.05

Re: HP 4050 error 41.05

Hmmm...been doing this job for a long time. I think the problem is everyone is thinking of the 41.3 error which is paper size error. If the paper doesn't clear the sensors at the right time it can cause that error.

My checklist for that error has always been:

1) Change 4 "D" shaped pick up rollers, 1 feed roller, 1 sep roller, & 1 torque limiter.
    2) If paper continuously picks (extra sheets), replace felt on pick-up solenoid (or solenoid if defective)
    3) If paper drops back into the tray, check the tray for debris or springs, and then check PF assembly behind tray 1 for debris, stuck label, or worn rollers.
    4) For paper not reaching sensor in time, replace the cartridge and check the registration for debris. Usually gives 13.20 error.
    5) For paper stopping in the fuser, test from tray 1 to rule out pickup issues and replace fuser. Usually gives 13.20 error.

41.5 is a Media Feed error. Which would lead you to believe it is the same as a 41.3. I would have checked the sensors behind the PF assembly that went to the engine control board. I would have thought engine control board if replacing the sensors didn't work. Still wouldn't have thought Formatter (unless it was a 4100).

41.2, 41.4, 41.9 deal with the laser scanner. A faulty shutter would give you 41.2 Beam detect error.

BTW: The service manual does not give the Formatter at all as a list of things to try.
    Last edited by prntrfxr; 02-17-2015 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Looked up error codes in the SM
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Hmmm...been doing this job for a long time. I think the problem is everyone is thinking of the 41.3 error which is paper size error. If the paper doesn't clear the sensors at the right time it can cause that error.

My checklist for that error has always been:

1) Change 4 "D" shaped pick up rollers, 1 feed roller, 1 sep roller, & 1 torque limiter.
    2) If paper continuously picks (extra sheets), replace felt on pick-up solenoid (or solenoid if defective)
    3) If paper drops back into the tray, check the tray for debris or springs, and then check PF assembly behind tray 1 for debris, stuck label, or worn rollers.
    4) For paper not reaching sensor in time, replace the cartridge and check the registration for debris. Usually gives 13.20 error.
    5) For paper stopping in the fuser, test from tray 1 to rule out pickup issues and replace fuser. Usually gives 13.20 error.

41.5 is a Media Feed error. Which would lead you to believe it is the same as a 41.3. I would have checked the sensors behind the PF assembly that went to the engine control board. I would have thought engine control board if replacing the sensors didn't work. Still wouldn't have thought Formatter (unless it was a 4100).

41.2, 41.4, 41.9 deal with the laser scanner. A faulty shutter would give you 41.2 Beam detect error.

BTW: The service manual does not give the Formatter at all as a list of things to try.
    thanks so much for the input, always welcome. I had gotten it into the shop and disassembled expecting to find something in the feed, even swapped out the feed assembly behind tray 1 feed as 1 way gear was slipping and I thought ah ha...but then it started acting up. as just a shot in the dark I tried the formatted cage assembly which seemed to cure it.. Fairly new to the HPs so thanks again for the info.. Tom(Wester)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Sounds like a feed solenoid to me...the tip off was the blank page. the solenoid arm sticks and feeds and extra sheet. If you get called back that's what it is
    Izzy