HP 4250 Clearing paper path message

HI. I've got a HP 4250 that throws a "clearing paper path" message along with a 41.3 unexpected paper size in tray 2. If you print a test page, the first page comes out correctly but throws the message. Print is centered perfectly and on a config page, tray 2 shows to be letter which is correct. Tray 1 works fine. I've tried a new set of rollers, a PIU, tray 2 feed solenoid, and a paper size switch. I've swapped formatters with a known good one to no avail. I've cleaned sensors and inspected flags for proper movement. I even swapped the torque limiter and tried another fuser. Engine test runs good and as long as you hold the button. Anything else, prints first page then errors. A half test at error showed the trailing edge is in the registration and lead edge is entering fuser. Noticed that that when a test page is requested, the first page is fed past piu prior to print job starting. I can see the lead egde, through the manual trayjust before the metal "fingers" of the registration unit. DC Controller?

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: HP 4250 Clearing paper path message

Based on what you have done, I don't have any ideas. I did want to comment on your post6. I wish more people were more like you when asking for help. Your post shows you know the printer, most likely used the manual and tried everything you could before posting. Hopefully you will get a responce. If you do not, it is because you have tried everything.

At this point, I would swap the whole paper input assembly, but it is just a guess.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

dc controller is possible but I think because tray 1 is working there is something else going on. I just had a strange problem with jamming and there was a piece of paper stuck inside; Only way I could get to it was pulling the power supply out couldn't see it. You said you changed size sensor? you would have to pull all that off if you did. I would take tray 1 assembly off and check paper feed roller assembly out /replace then look at sensor lever /spring. Good luck
    Izzy

Wild Bill, you can change the switch without removing LVPS. You do have to remove formatter and side panel. I thought DC Controller just cause of a possible bad circuit. I replaced the PIU, which is behind tray 1, and made sure flag was operating properly. I may have to remove LVPS to check all sensors. Thanks to for replying. Also, Thanks to Alien Overload for you comment.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Might be worthwile checking yhe sensors in diagnostics to see if they are lagging or not registering. I would also look at yhe paper pickup solenoid for t2 it may be sticking. And also the registration clutch mechanism. Lastly lader units have been known to also cause these errors though not so kuch on this model.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP 4250 Clearing paper path message

Every time I've had to deal with the 41.03.00 error message it was either a damaged tray indicating the wrong paper size, or the paper size PWB.

I think I would focus on the paper size PWB. If those momentary switches are reading 83 ohms or more when closed, the formatter considers that to be an open condition. The switch reading can fluctuate during the feed process, due to the mechanical shifting of the tray. On a few occasions I've replaced individual switches successfully, but it's easy to solder them to death. I'd probably recommend ordering the paper size board as an assembly.

Yes, like fix, I offer my kudos on a very thorough diagnostic and use of the manual. I wish all the threads read like this one. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I did have one a few months ago where I did almost everything you have done. After replacing the Paper input, I still had an issue similar to yours. I found the actuator behind the input was the issue. The part of the frame that holds the spring was chipped, the spring was not working properly. Not enough tension.

I just looked up my old post, my issue was opposite. Tray 2 worked, tray 1 jammed. Replacing the reg assembly fixed mine.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Great, great machines. As to your problem. The machine feed fine from tray1, make sure to run about 25 prints from tray1. That said, you can eliminate some sensors and actuators that would cause this problem and concentrate on tray2 and secondary feed section. From the service manual, tray 1 does not use pre-feed sensor ps102 which is located on the secondary feed unit.
    I would unblock this sensor and power up the machine, it should give an error code, if not then the sensor is bad or wiring to be checked. You replaced the formatter, which i would not have replaced, but instead after sensor checks ect. would have replaced the dc controller, or the other name is the engine pwb where all the sensors are connected and controlled from.
    more to input here, but have to get out the door now. will follow up later.

should correct ,that the pre-feed sensor ps102 actuator is on the secondary feed assy, the sensor is on the machine frame i believe.
    Last edited by subaro; 03-27-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke