Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

Re: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

Wow, that's cool about being able to refill them. I never knew. I assumed that once it was empty, the chip was flagged and that was the end for the cartridge.

I have noticed the bongos have a sort of cover on them that's independent of the actual piston that pushes up underneath.. maybe it can 'see' if that fails to come back down when the plunger doesn't reinflate.

As I mentioned, the 1050C, 5000/5500, 4000/4500, Z6100, T7100/T7200 and likely others I can't recall off the top of my head.. all use the air-pressured ink cartridges.

I've attached an except from the 5500 service manual from the functional overview.

Kiran
    Attached Files Attached Files

End User 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Wow, that's cool about being able to refill them. I never knew. I assumed that once it was empty, the chip was flagged and that was the end for the cartridge.

I have noticed the bongos have a sort of cover on them that's independent of the actual piston that pushes up underneath.. maybe it can 'see' if that fails to come back down when the plunger doesn't reinflate.

As I mentioned, the 1050C, 5000/5500, 4000/4500, Z6100, T7100/T7200 and likely others I can't recall off the top of my head.. all use the air-pressured ink cartridges.

I've attached an except from the 5500 service manual from the functional overview.

Kiran
    Thanks, that air pressure system seems a bit over-complicated compared to the ones that pump the ink directly. Was that an older generation before the ones that pump the ink directly?

Did those printers make a compressor type sound when they were pressurizing the air?

I think the ones that pump ink directly seem like a much better design. I don't know why HP abandoned that ink system in the Officejet Pro line, that's the main reason I finally switched over to laser (and the fact the new paper pickup couldn't pick up card stock at all despite the specs saying it supports card stock).

Thanks

The APS existed in the 1050C before the 500/800 came around, so I'd say it came first. I'm not sure about the OfficeJets.. I don't work on those. If it uses those skinny cartridges that are similar to the 69ml inks the 500/800 use, then I'd guess they came out at the same time as the 500/800.

I can't really say why they favor one design over the other; perhaps it's used in the bigger machines because more ink is used, or has a longer distance to travel.. only HP knows for sure.

The little compressor barely makes any sound when it's running. And once it reaches pressure it stops. You certainly can't hear it over the rest of the printer and vacuum fans.

The APS is still in use in all of the 'big' Designjets, like the T7200. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/large-forma...ers/t7200.html

Of course if you get into the Scitex line, they use an electric ink pump.

Kiran

By the way, does this look over-complicated?

z6100_iss.jpg

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    By the way, does this look over-complicated?

z6100_iss.jpg
    Um, for what it is worth, aab1 was enough of a pox and murrain here back in the day that they were the first to be put on my ignore list.
    I don't think aab1 is worth your effort, but that's just my take.

kahner

SOLVED: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

Well, it took me a while, and reading through other posts here about the issue helped me figure it out. It seems like the printer has a manual sensor that pushed up against the black rubber bulb on the cartridge. For whatever reason, I guess it wasn't getting the necessary pressure when it tested. So just put some tape over the hole in the plastic cartridge over the bulb and bam! no more empty cartridge error.

End User 250+ Posts

Re: SOLVED: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

Quote Originally Posted by kahner View Post
    Well, it took me a while, and reading through other posts here about the issue helped me figure it out. It seems like the printer has a manual sensor that pushed up against the black rubber bulb on the cartridge. For whatever reason, I guess it wasn't getting the necessary pressure when it tested. So just put some tape over the hole in the plastic cartridge over the bulb and bam! no more empty cartridge error.
    While that will solve the error, it actually prevents the pump from working which will likely lead to the printhead associated with that color to fail.

I didn't go back through the entire thread to remind me of what was said but I would assume a new cartridge would solve the issue, did you make sure to check the cartridge wasn't actually empty and try a new one?

Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

End User 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    It may seem like it, but not really since the included cartridges are normally less than half full. And it's only low end printers that cost less than new cartridges.