Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    Kiran Otter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    Wow, that's cool about being able to refill them. I never knew. I assumed that once it was empty, the chip was flagged and that was the end for the cartridge.

    I have noticed the bongos have a sort of cover on them that's independent of the actual piston that pushes up underneath.. maybe it can 'see' if that fails to come back down when the plunger doesn't reinflate.

    As I mentioned, the 1050C, 5000/5500, 4000/4500, Z6100, T7100/T7200 and likely others I can't recall off the top of my head.. all use the air-pressured ink cartridges.

    I've attached an except from the 5500 service manual from the functional overview.

    Kiran

    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #22
    End User 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Wow, that's cool about being able to refill them. I never knew. I assumed that once it was empty, the chip was flagged and that was the end for the cartridge.

    I have noticed the bongos have a sort of cover on them that's independent of the actual piston that pushes up underneath.. maybe it can 'see' if that fails to come back down when the plunger doesn't reinflate.

    As I mentioned, the 1050C, 5000/5500, 4000/4500, Z6100, T7100/T7200 and likely others I can't recall off the top of my head.. all use the air-pressured ink cartridges.

    I've attached an except from the 5500 service manual from the functional overview.

    Kiran
    Thanks, that air pressure system seems a bit over-complicated compared to the ones that pump the ink directly. Was that an older generation before the ones that pump the ink directly?

    Did those printers make a compressor type sound when they were pressurizing the air?

    I think the ones that pump ink directly seem like a much better design. I don't know why HP abandoned that ink system in the Officejet Pro line, that's the main reason I finally switched over to laser (and the fact the new paper pickup couldn't pick up card stock at all despite the specs saying it supports card stock).

    Thanks


  3. #23
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    Kiran Otter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    The APS existed in the 1050C before the 500/800 came around, so I'd say it came first. I'm not sure about the OfficeJets.. I don't work on those. If it uses those skinny cartridges that are similar to the 69ml inks the 500/800 use, then I'd guess they came out at the same time as the 500/800.

    I can't really say why they favor one design over the other; perhaps it's used in the bigger machines because more ink is used, or has a longer distance to travel.. only HP knows for sure.

    The little compressor barely makes any sound when it's running. And once it reaches pressure it stops. You certainly can't hear it over the rest of the printer and vacuum fans.

    The APS is still in use in all of the 'big' Designjets, like the T7200. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/large-forma...ers/t7200.html

    Of course if you get into the Scitex line, they use an electric ink pump.

    Kiran


  4. #24
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    Kiran Otter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    By the way, does this look over-complicated?

    z6100_iss.jpg


  5. #25
    Just a fellow wanderer 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,746
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    By the way, does this look over-complicated?

    z6100_iss.jpg
    Um, for what it is worth, aab1 was enough of a pox and murrain here back in the day that they were the first to be put on my ignore list.
    I don't think aab1 is worth your effort, but that's just my take.


  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Jersey city
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    SOLVED: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    Well, it took me a while, and reading through other posts here about the issue helped me figure it out. It seems like the printer has a manual sensor that pushed up against the black rubber bulb on the cartridge. For whatever reason, I guess it wasn't getting the necessary pressure when it tested. So just put some tape over the hole in the plastic cartridge over the bulb and bam! no more empty cartridge error.


  7. #27
    End User 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: SOLVED: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    Quote Originally Posted by kahner View Post
    Well, it took me a while, and reading through other posts here about the issue helped me figure it out. It seems like the printer has a manual sensor that pushed up against the black rubber bulb on the cartridge. For whatever reason, I guess it wasn't getting the necessary pressure when it tested. So just put some tape over the hole in the plastic cartridge over the bulb and bam! no more empty cartridge error.
    While that will solve the error, it actually prevents the pump from working which will likely lead to the printhead associated with that color to fail.

    I didn't go back through the entire thread to remind me of what was said but I would assume a new cartridge would solve the issue, did you make sure to check the cartridge wasn't actually empty and try a new one?


  8. #28
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    nmfaxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    1,699
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty



    Why do they call it common sense?

    If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

  9. #29
    End User 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Designjet Z3200 says new ink empty

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    It may seem like it, but not really since the included cartridges are normally less than half full. And it's only low end printers that cost less than new cartridges.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-=-=-=-=-=-


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here