Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

HP LaserJet 4250n

What would cause this HP LaserJet 4250n to overfeed? What I mean by this is that I only want to make one copy, but the machine pulls two sheets through, and the first sheet stops as a quarter (1/4) of the lead-edge is exiting. This problem is only with the second paper cassette. (The machine has two paper feed drawers and a bypass tray.) Thank you for any help given.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Re: HP LaserJet 4250n

The problem more than likely is the Paper Feed Solenoid. Look in the event log. You will see 13.98, 13.02, 13.03 errors if the solenoids are having issues.

Test
    If it is jamming under the toner with a blank page 13.02 error definitely replace the solenoid or change the foam however you want.
    Go into “Diagnostics” and “Paper Path” Test Mode.
    Set it for 10 prints, single sided and select the tray that you would like to test.
    Pay close attention to the sound, speed and rhythm of the machines operation.
    If the solenoid is good you will hear the same rhythm and operation through out the test. But, if there is an issue with the solenoid you will notice a pause. It will “hiccup” and pause just for a moment, then continue. If it is really bad, it may end up jamming or become obvious that the foam is totally destroyed.
    You will become acquainted with this and be able to quickly tell if there is a problem. If you don’t do it that often you may have to pull the solenoids off to test them. It’s very subtle but if you do it enough you’ll be able to spot it right off.
    Izzy

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Definitely a sticky paper pickup solenoid. Replace the solenoid unless you know the trick into replacing the sticky foam.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP LaserJet 4250n

Quote Originally Posted by Printerdude View Post
    Definitely a sticky paper pickup solenoid. Replace the solenoid unless you know the trick into replacing the sticky foam.
    Ditto that. The test is just to manually hold down the actuator for 10 seconds, then let go. If there is any delay in returning, you know that the foam is getting sticky.

I'll usually chemically clean away the old foam and any remaining two sided tape and adhesive. With a hole punch I'll punch a nice 1/4" disk of inner tube, or scrap rubber transfer belt, then glue it in place with cyanoacetate. The adhesive will never ooze through the rubber. It won't ever come off. And it won't ever make noise.

When I first discovered this fix I would just scrape away the foam and let it "clack". The drawback to this, is that the metal actuator will eventually magnetize if it contacts the metal solenoid core, and you'll get exactly the same effect as the sticky sound damping foam. Then you have to replace it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    HP LaserJet 4250n

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Ditto that. The test is just to manually hold down the actuator for 10 seconds, then let go. If there is any delay in returning, you know that the foam is getting sticky.

I'll usually chemically clean away the old foam and any remaining two sided tape and adhesive. With a hole punch I'll punch a nice 1/4" disk of inner tube, or scrap rubber transfer belt, then glue it in place with cyanoacetate. The adhesive will never ooze through the rubber. It won't ever come off. And it won't ever make noise.

When I first discovered this fix I would just scrape away the foam and let it "clack". The drawback to this, is that the metal actuator will eventually magnetize if it contacts the metal solenoid core, and you'll get exactly the same effect as the sticky sound damping foam. Then you have to replace it. =^..^=
    I like your idea; i've always just wrapped the armature a couple of times with scotch tape - no more residual magnetism, although a little noisy.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP LaserJet 4250n

Question Re: HP LaserJet 4250n

I thought that sounded familiar. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=