HP 9000n

HP 9000n

Jam code 13.20.00 on power up.
    Checked sensors and for hidden paper.
    Any Ideas?????

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP 9000n

HP 9000n - 13.20 error

cDid the error occur immediately after power up or after a print job originally? does it jam in the middle of a print job? If so where?

I've had various different solutions to similar problem:
    • Open the right side door and look hard to find a small piece of paper possibly blocking the input sensor, if it is there it will be hard to see and in the middle of the feed path. Check for any tiny piece of paper in PIU.
    • HVPS contacts not seated properly - try reseating toner cartridge
    • Fuser - jam occurs near there
    • Registration Asm - if jams there
    • DC Controller - multiple jam codes and fuser/cartridge not solution

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    It's a big machine, make sure you have not missed a photocell. I have worked on HP for 8 years and have not changed a photocell because it was bad, or have I had one lie to me. If it is showing a jam when you boot up, then there is probably somethiing is blocking a sensor. I have been wrong before, but I also have wasted a lot of time fighting with the machine only to find out in the end that I was looking too hard and missing something.

HP 9000n

HP 9000n

I can't believe I just had this problem today!! Here's how I solved it:

Symptom - False “13.20 Error”:
    After replacing HVPS – 13.20 error occurs
    No jam present after checking all sensors (above) – 13.20 error occurs/remains

Problem:
    HP has a built in circuit called “the wrapping jam detection circuit”. This circuit uses an arm on a solenoid that makes contact with the lower pressure roller on the fuser roller. The other end of the circuit includes metal contacts under the right side of the HVPS. It compares values from the HVPS and compares them with values from the lower pressure roller. If they are different the circuit signals the DC Controller to stop the printer and display a false “13.20 error”. (For more info check pg 96 in Service Manual).

Resolution:
    1.)Check the HVPS Contacts of the wrapping jam circuit. To check remove HVPS. Under where the HVPS was to the right as you face the back of the printer in between the feed-drive assembly and the formatter cage (you can see it in Figure 101 on page 155 of the Service Manual), there are 2 large metal contacts. Make sure they are not bent, they should be parallel to each other.
    2.)The fuser part of the circuit (wrapping jam detect solenoid – runs on +24Vdc) may be bad and may have blown the DC Controller. REMOVE and replace along with the DC Controller to prevent the fuser from blowing the DC Controller.
    3.)Early versions of the DC Controller had very narrow tolerance for comparison measurements. Later versions have corrected this problem. To check the DC Controller version, print a configuration page and look at the "printer number" (a two-digit code ranging from 15 to 1C). If the second character is a number (5-9), the printer has an older DC Controller, which will be more likely to cause false 13.20 errors. On newer versions, the second character will be a letter (A, B, or C). Replace DC Controller.
    Last edited by prntrfxr; 05-23-2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: promotion accidently included - deleted it

HP 9000n

I was trying to help another tech solver this problem.
    Found out he couldn't fix his ass out of a paper bag.
    I took the call thanks to your info and found he had blown the PS.
    At closer inspection I found a sticky sensor that was staying activated.
    I now longer help this blight on our industry.
    Thanks for the help.