Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    I post the news 1,000+ Posts
    Kofax Implementation of TIFF with  JPEG Compression

Kofax Implementation of TIFF with JPEG Compression

Introduction
    Since 1992 Kofax has supported the use of a TIFF file with JPEG compression (TIFF-JPEG) for the storage of multi-bit images (color or grayscale). Kofax implemented the TIFF-JPEG storage filter in accordance with a simplified and widely accepted interpretation of the TIFF 6.0 specification for handling JPEG compression within a TIFF file. As a standard, TIFF-JPEG was non-specific and confusing, leaving developers open to interpreting the specification.
    Following the TIFF 6.0 specification, there was a Draft TIFF Technical Note #2. This draft attempted to clarify the support for TIFF-JPEG; however, the draft was never brought to be accepted as a standard.
    Additionally, the Technical Note #2 implementation was incompatible with the existing format outlined in the TIFF 6.0 specification. Developers of storage and display technologies that wish to leverage the benefits of a TIFF file with JPEG compression now have to make an implementation decision based upon the format and interpretation they believe will be most utilized by their customer base. Unfortunately the varied formats may not work together.
    Recently with advancements in scanning technologies, imaging software, and algorithms we are seeing more customers turn to the use of multi-bit images within their document management/imaging workflows. Whereas the TIFF standard for binary images is well documented and accepted by imaging developers (i.e. binary images written as TIFF files have an extremely high probability of being displayed and read by a wide variety of engines), TIFF-JPEG images written by one vendor according to their interpretation of the TIFF-JPEG specification may not be read by another vendor because of a differing interpretation/implementation of the specification. The problem this creates is one in which images scanned with one vendors implementation of TIFF-JPEG may not be able to be displayed and leveraged by another vendors repository or management system.
    read more

More...

Abigail111

Re: Kofax Implementation of TIFF with JPEG Compression

That sounds good!Especially the TIFF standard for binary images is well documented and accepted .I usually use an imaging SDK to process tiff,now i can try a new assistance.That's really nice!

sarah369

Re: Kofax Implementation of TIFF with JPEG Compression

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail111 View Post
    That sounds good!Especially the TIFF standard for binary images is well documented and accepted. I usually use an imaging SDK to process tiff, now i can try a new assistance.That's really nice!
    Hi Abigail
    I also find the JPEG 2000 Codec SDK there which has been developed to promote the use of JPEG 2000, one of the most advanced and flexible image compression solution. Thanks!