Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFA14

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

CFA14

We have two very new C308s in one customer (less than 600 copies on both)

Both came in for error code CFA14 within a day of each other. If you uninstall the HDD, the machine won't error, but this is not an option.

After updating firmware on one of them, CD011 came up. Tried backdating, but the machine couldn't read the same usb stick?

Two machines down. Manufacturer recommend replacing the HDDs. Seems weird to happen to two machines in the same office at the same time though!

These were our first installs of the new 8 version machines. NOT GOOD!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance......

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Re: CFA14

Is the power clean (no spikes, surges, highs or lows) at this office? Are these machines connected to any type of line conditioner or any sort of power protection? We've had, on numerous occasions, the C253 series machines with HDDs that appeared to be bad (locked up and UNUSABLE with no codes when trying to scan) because of power surges, even when connected to a line conditioner. The power at the office was so bad, the line conditioner did no good. In actuality, the HDD never was fried, just needed to remove and reformat it on a PC and put it back in the machine and reformat it in the machine. I realize this isn't the exact same issue, but the common thing in your two machines is presumably the power.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Had it happen on a new 454e not too long ago.. Maybe the HDD got corrupted. I would file a warranty claim on the HDD, you can get the replacement within 2 days usually, overnight if necessary.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    Is the power clean (no spikes, surges, highs or lows) at this office? Are these machines connected to any type of line conditioner or any sort of power protection? We've had, on numerous occasions, the C253 series machines with HDDs that appeared to be bad (locked up and UNUSABLE with no codes when trying to scan) because of power surges, even when connected to a line conditioner. The power at the office was so bad, the line conditioner did no good. In actuality, the HDD never was fried, just needed to remove and reformat it on a PC and put it back in the machine and reformat it in the machine. I realize this isn't the exact same issue, but the common thing in your two machines is presumably the power.
    Back in tomorrow morning. I will check power, due to the fact that both machines give the same fault. Thanks.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    Had it happen on a new 454e not too long ago.. Maybe the HDD got corrupted. I would file a warranty claim on the HDD, you can get the replacement within 2 days usually, overnight if necessary.
    I have ordered one, after the first machine went down. Perhaps we have a bad batch of HDDs on the C308s, if two at the same customers have gone down?

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Milner View Post
    I have ordered one, after the first machine went down. Perhaps we have a bad batch of HDDs on the C308s, if two at the same customers have gone down?
    Really bad power will cause HDDs to get corrupted. Once we found out we could just connect the HDDs to a PC and reformat them at their default partitions (usually 3, I think), we don't have to order nearly as many drives as we used to.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Milner View Post
    Maybe. Seems like every time one goes out another one will.

verify that the correct print drivers are installed on all connected PC's

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Western digital branded drives were pretty good, although still the WD company (now) the HGST branded drives seem to fail more often.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Turned out to be the MFP boards. Both machines were replaced.