Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: C35 boot failure only when network cable connected

Packet capture will tell you everything you need to know. If the customer is uncooperative and will not allow that then kindly explain to them that this is Their problem and they need to have Their IT address it. The End.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

I appreciate all the feedback.
    While on the phone with the IT helpdesk I confirmed their stated requirement of network speed settings of 100/1000 and did not change it.
    If I boot the machine whilst connected to it via my laptop it boots normally. Another indication that the network was the direct cause of the issue and not the hardware. I have had a work order open with on-site IT since 3-16-16 with no mention of light at the end of the tunnel. The ball is in their court, I just wanted to ask here if this had been a known issue with anyone else.

Thank you all.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

A funny thing happened on the way to the CTN forum...

So guess what?

Got another one with the identical issue as the others.
    From what I was told the IT folks made some network changes (they fail to disclose specifics, "trade secrets" or some such BS,) to the seven machines this happened to previously, and I haven't heard word one about any of them since.
    This morning another C35 got called in for "stuck at logo screen/down/ASAP/ETA". Ran the same workaround tests as before, confirmed the machine boots normally when not connected to the network and fax line. Called I.S., opened ticket, went and spoke to the person assigned the ticket, conversed with multiple people in the room on the same IT team, stumped everybody. Told them I'd bring it up here (didn't mention I already had previously).

Funny thing is, this only happens after we have inclement weather, but it doesn't happen every time we have a storm.

None of these C35s with this issue were or are plugged into power filters, by specification of the account. Per my manager, they all should be, but the sheer amount of C35s in this place would rate a prohibitive cost to add power filters to them all. I will bring it up with them and see what they want to do, (I'm guessing the response would be something along the lines of: "If the power filters will prevent this from happening again, sure, but if we don't confirm that's the cause, forget it.")

No, network speed hasn't been changed. IT told me before that the auto-negotiation shouldn't affect this, that it's likely the network attempting to force an automatic firmware update via the network cable, which the machine does not like. (there may be a setting I'm missing that will allow the C35 to check for updates via the network cable, and not finding any (since they don't have it on the network, I have it on USB) might allow the machine to continue the boot process unhindered, but I don't know.)

Any ideas?
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Any ideas?
    None new

I think that kind of customer will try and charge you if that power filter idea won't work