Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

C35 boot failure only when network cable connected

Greetings, all.

I have 7 Bizhub C35s in 3 different buildings with the exact same problem, when rebooted with the network cable attached to the machine it will not get past the KM logo screen.
    Disconnecting the network cable and rebooting the machine will have it boot normally, all the way to the copy screen (or user access screen, depending on location). Once the machine is up I reconnect the network cable and the machine pulls its proper IP address from the server via DHCP, and users can then print as normal.

I've had on-site IT working on this since 16 March, no results as of yet. Figured I'd ask here.

All of these C35s are on the same two print servers, (don't ask, they won't tell me,) and the hardware is confirmed not to be at fault, per a senior technician.
    Have upgraded firmware to latest, replaced MFPB on one (figured the port might be bad), problem remained, so I got the IT guys involved immediately after that. Crossover connection with laptop allows pinging of IP and connection via PSM, and once the disconnect-boot-reconnect workaround is performed, allows connection via PSM from network PC.

I'm fresh out of ideas. The workaround gets them up and running, but it's not a fix.

Thoughts?

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Re: C35 boot failure only when network cable connected

can you try giving it a static addy and see if it still happens?
    did you try flashing the latest firmware for printer and controller?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    can you try giving it a static addy and see if it still happens?
    did you try flashing the latest firmware for printer and controller?
    Set the required IP (so they might still be able to print to it) to static after flashing latest P & C firmware, prior to swapping MFPB.

Im not getting any input from the on-site IT team, but they did confirm that if the boot sequence works without the network cable connected that it's not the hardware.
    I'm just not really sure where this is going to lead; either a network reconfiguration or replacement of several machines.

see if you can set the network speed to 100mb simplex, if there is an auto-negotiating switch on the network the C35 is auto-negotiating as well, i wonder if it just gets confused as to what speed to accept.
    ive seen it happen on other models, thats why i suggest it to try at least.

I am not allowed to alter network speeds with this particular customer, if that change is to be made it must be done by their IT. They're really protective of their network (and for good reason, this is a medical facility).
    Current speed setting on all networked machines across the board is 100/1000 Mbps and once the boot sequence completes and I reconnect the machine to the network there are no issues. The problem is "something [they've] recently done to their network may be causing the machine to attempt to pull firmware upon boot." That's the best guess they've given me, although I do not know if a C35 will automatically attempt to pull firmware from a network connection without direct prompting. Typically we upgrade firmware in service mode only, via USB or, failing that, direct connection via laptop.

I mainly wondered if anyone else had had a similar issue with this model.
    If it gets resolved (some-crazy-how) I will look into removing this thread, since from my side of the repair process this seems to be a nonissue.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Change the speed on one machine... I think the setting is under the ADMIN11 I'm sure they will let one be tested.

Yes changing the C35 metwork speed wont affect their network in the least.

Ask them if they changed the network switches. Had this before and it was the network hardware.
    Whatever

Try a small network switch between the machine and their network. This has got me out of trouble more then once

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I suppose nothing is wrong if you reboot the machine while hooked up to your notebook via crossover lan cable? In this case I'd say it's not a problem of the C35 but the customers network. Won't help if the customers react restrictive and non-coorperative to your suggestions if YOU try to help to fix THEIR network issues. Set up a fix network speed (machine wise) is a good attempt.