Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    BH-423 with FS-527, paper curling

Sheets are coming out of the finisher with a slight curl at the leading and, lesser, at the trailing edge. As long as they are printed on one side they stack more or less OK. However, duplex sided prints are very often touching with the leading edge the stack of previous prints and than the mess starts ( see attached picture).

Since this is exactly the same type of paper the customer uses since many years I suspect somehow wear out of parts in the sorter. Or what do you guys think?

Is there a way to let the lower tray of this finisher stay a little higher to reduce the angle with which the ejected sheets touch the stack of finished prints?

Had not much time to spend on it yet but would love to hear any suggestions from you guys.

Hans
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: BH-423 with FS-527, paper curling

I havent found a "perfect fix" for this yet. My fix is to place a piece of mylar by the rollers on the front side of finisher so that it holds the lead edge of the paper off the tray for a little longer and doesnt allow it to curl under. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Sheets are coming out of the finisher with a slight curl at the leading and, lesser, at the trailing edge. As long as they are printed on one side they stack more or less OK. However, duplex sided prints are very often touching with the leading edge the stack of previous prints and than the mess starts ( see attached picture).

Since this is exactly the same type of paper the customer uses since many years I suspect somehow wear out of parts in the sorter. Or what do you guys think?

Is there a way to let the lower tray of this finisher stay a little higher to reduce the angle with which the ejected sheets touch the stack of finished prints?

Had not much time to spend on it yet but would love to hear any suggestions from you guys.

Hans

Don't think its wear. I had a brand new machine with that problem.
    I played with 2 settings. I set fusing priority to production instead of quality and dropped the fuser temp with 15 degs.

A simple test for paper is to take the paper out of the tray and to turn it upside down. If the curl is much less then the paper is the problem.
    Just take a fresh ream of paper along, but i do think its the machine.
    Whatever

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I didn't think of fuser temperature at the time. The only way I could stop the spill over was to send all prints and copies to the upper exit tray. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I have inclination to paper as well. Try the above suggestions or to print landscape. If it comes out straight, then they have off-cuts paper from the manufacturer. Paper industry is suffering, so savings are made everywhere, then we have nigthmares.
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Be careful dropping the fuser temp. Ive dropped them as little as 10 degrees and had to go back because it wasnt fusing properly

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splblazer91 View Post
    Be careful dropping the fuser temp. Ive dropped them as little as 10 degrees and had to go back because it wasnt fusing properly
    Yes and the fix for prematurely failing fuser rollers on these models is to increase fuser temp by +5.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for all your input guys. Will come back on it later cause I had to suddenly take over another territory. When back in my own I'll pick up the issue again with that customer.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    Yes and the fix for prematurely failing fuser rollers on these models is to increase fuser temp by +5.
    How much longer does it make it last? Currently I can only expect 2 drum lives before having to change the fusing units on these at the factory setting. Some machines it has to be changed at every drum change.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EarthKmTech View Post
    How much longer does it make it last? Currently I can only expect 2 drum lives before having to change the fusing units on these at the factory setting.
    Not sure. That's the official "fix" from KM (take that for what it's worth) and we just started changing all our machines whenever we go on calls to the higher setting. We haven't had enough time to determine if it really works or not. We get way more mileage out of aftermarket UFRs in these and just put in a rebuilt fuser when the original one fails early.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.