Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

B421 Skew Tray 1 only

Hi,
    I'm fighting a constant skew from Tray 1 only on a 421. I have replaced the feed ,Pickup and Sep rollers. Then I swapped tray 1 with tray 2. I finally replaced the tray 1 feed assembly. Still getting the skew. I have cleaned the paper path and used scotchbright with no change. Any ideas would be welcomed. The paper seems to Lag on the end closest to the user. I noticed this by stopping the copying process right at transfer. The skew is NOT optics related. It occurs on internal test patterns.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    B421 Skew Tray 1 only

Re: B421 Skew Tray 1 only

What about tray 2 and Bypass? Does it skew as well?
    Paper loop adjustment perhaps?
    Can you produce some samples of halftone on A3 and take a picture with phone so we can have better idea how bad it is.

Any deformations on the door?

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Quote Originally Posted by habik View Post
    What about tray 2 and Bypass? Does it skew as well?
    Paper loop adjustment perhaps?
    Can you produce some samples of halftone on A3 and take a picture with phone so we can have better idea how bad it is.

Any deformations on the door?

Tray 2 feeds fine. I suspected the actual tray 1 cassette but when I put tray 2 paper cassette in the tray 1 area , I get the same skew. I'm trying to get an idea as to what is the same and what is different before the paper reaches the registration area. And the bypass doesn't work either. It has a bad motor , I think. I hadn't considered the buckle loop adjustment being that Tray 2 feeds almost perfect. I have been troubleshooting possibilities related to the tray 1 area only.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

This could be just so much nonsense, as I've only worked on analog Konicas. As such, I apologize in advance.
    Still, have you checked the paper in the tray for defects? I've seen something like this being caused by like ten or so pages at the bottom of the stack having a corner turned under. It's kind of hard to see, for me anyway, so it can be kind of easy to miss.
    Something else that makes the paper in that tray not parallel to the pick up roller could be causing this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    This could be just so much nonsense, as I've only worked on analog Konicas. As such, I apologize in advance.
    Still, have you checked the paper in the tray for defects? I've seen something like this being caused by like ten or so pages at the bottom of the stack having a corner turned under. It's kind of hard to see, for me anyway, so it can be kind of easy to miss.
    Something else that makes the paper in that tray not parallel to the pick up roller could be causing this too.
    Paper was my first suspect , So I loaded fresh stack, Also I swapped tray 1 with Tray 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pocavon View Post
    Tray 2 feeds fine. I suspected the actual tray 1 cassette but when I put tray 2 paper cassette in the tray 1 area , I get the same skew. I'm trying to get an idea as to what is the same and what is different before the paper reaches the registration area. And the bypass doesn't work either. It has a bad motor , I think. I hadn't considered the buckle loop adjustment being that Tray 2 feeds almost perfect. I have been troubleshooting possibilities related to the tray 1 area only.
    Thanks to all for your input. I went back to this skew issue this morning , What I found was ....There is a silver tension spring that rides OVER the registration bushings on either end of the reg roller. Well ,on the outboard side(closest to user) the spring had slipped off the bushing and was riding on the shaft itself...Causing drag on that side. I thank you all for alleviating me of my tunnel vision. I was focused on the tray area and not the registration area.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    B421 Skew Tray 1 only

Well done!
    You would have thought the skew will happen all the time from all trays. Peculiar.
    I wonder how it came off. Spring sits on top of bushing which should have a lip, so it wont come off.

.OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

[QUOTE=habik;520712]Well done!
    You would have thought the skew will happen all the time from all trays. Peculiar.
    I wonder how it came off. Spring sits on top of bushing which should have a lip, so it wont come off.
    That was exactly my thought process. Why did tray 2 feed correctly? It wasn't until I notice this sites advice was directed toward registration that I even looked at registration as a source. Once I started to focus on The registration, I found the bushing issue in about 10 minutes.

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by habik View Post
    Well done!

That was exactly my thought process. Why did tray 2 feed correctly? It wasn't until I notice this sites advice was directed toward registration that I even looked at registration as a source. Once I started to focus on The registration, I found the bushing issue in about 10 minutes.

Thanks again,

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pocavon View Post

Thanks again,
    The reason it was only skewing from tray 1 is because when it feeds it has a tighter bend to travel through before entering into the grey registration roller. The other trays which when fed, travel up the vertical being driven by the forwarding rollers.

Yes sometimes we need to stand back and refocus before we charge into the fault. Well done.