Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Question KM C451 Is it possible to disassembly this machine into smaller pieces for transport?

As photocopier has to be transported on the 3rd floor, I have to figure out a way to transport it on my own stair climber (manual) (couriers here seems to be not able to help as they do not have a powered stair climber and I won't allow on transport with just couple guys and manual stair climber)

At this moment photocopier is stored in a garage, so I can spent as much as necessary to disassemble and secure this photocopier. It says in manual that it's weights is around 190kg so way too heavy to transport it without powered stair climber.

Could you let me know if it is possible to remove safely all those paper trays and scanner feeder ?
    Are those connected like by few screws and quick connector or maybe they are not meant to be disassembled after they left factory ???

Most likely it would save this photocopier as other option is to take 4 guys, manual stair climber and tries to take it on 3rd floor (+ second floor of the apartment where wooden stairs might not be sturdy enough to support 190kg + 4 men).

Thank you in advance.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    KM C451 Is it possible to disassembly this machine into smaller pieces for transport?

Re: KM C451 Is it possible to disassembly this machine into smaller pieces for transp

Hi,

Yes this is a very heavy machine, if you have room on the stairs four people to lift would be ideal.

However you can quite easily remove the ADF, all paper trays, ITB, Fuser, all drums then gauge the weight you could also remove the scanner but this is not so easy.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

Re: KM C451 Is it possible to disassembly this machine into smaller pieces for transp

Thanks for quick respond.

Do you think that I could go to 50-60kg on main unit ? How should I pack drums/fuser, etc. so it would be secure for a transport ?

Is it possible to remove all those containers for a paper trays (1/2 and 3/4) ? It is just awfully heavy and width on the stair case is around 1m, so there is a space for 2 people from each side (top/bottom), however it will be much safer to remove everything what is possible for a person with some IT knowledge (I am software engineer so I know how to find my way around the printers, but I have never been disassembling or servicing photocopier, so I do not want to remove something and destroy due to lack of knowledge).

I just want to find the balance between weight and how securely I can disassemble this photocopier (I have no idea why it is so heavy if other models from Konica are almost 2x lighter).

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Once for my previous employer i moved one of these machines up a staircase with no stair climber, only a hand trolley with 2 guys.

I lightened the machine by removing the document feeder, the fusing unit, all 4 imaging units, toner cartridges and obviously the waste toner box. I also removed all 4 trays. All of these parts are heavy, easy to remove and not a problem to remove.

It was done with 2 guys on the trolley and me supervising. (staircase not large enoigh for more than 2 people)

Its very dangerous and there is a risk of personal injury but at the time I had no choice and the customer was not accomodating to any other timeframe other than right now.

You can not do it by yourself with a manual hand trolley, period. You will get killed / seriously injured and the machine will get totalled. That minimum of a second person is needed to assist lift the trolley up/down onto each next step. Even then, it is not safe or an easy job.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by EarthKmTech View Post
    Once for my previous employer i moved one of these machines up a staircase with no stair climber, only a hand trolley with 2 guys.

I lightened the machine by removing the document feeder, the fusing unit, all 4 imaging units, toner cartridges and obviously the waste toner box. I also removed all 4 trays. All of these parts are heavy, easy to remove and not a problem to remove.

It was done with 2 guys on the trolley and me supervising.

Its very dangerous and there is a risk of personal injury but at the time I had no choice and the customer was not accomodating to any other timeframe other than right now.

You can not do it by yourself with a manual hand trolley, period. You will get killed / seriously injured and the machine will get totalled. That second person is needed to assist lift the trolley up/down onto each next step.

I've hoped that body can be disassembled into smaller pieces (paper tray containers looks like a part attached to a main body) like 30-40kg each which easily I could transport (I was transporting on stair climber up to 55kg), however if machine cannot be taken down, then I am looking into getting at least 3 people to transport it (having in mind that I would try to remove as much as possible of all parts) using stair climber, preferably 4 people (so me + 3 other, 2 on top and 2 supporting from bottom).

I wouldn't even try to transport it on my own, unless I can take it apart with the heaviest part up to 50kg.

Do you have any idea of how much weight I would loose, removing DF, the fusing unit, etc. ? Can I hope for at least loosing 50kg of total weight ?

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    KM C451 Is it possible to disassembly this machine into smaller pieces for transport?

Even removing the feeder fuser and trays you wouldnt even notice a difference all together even with the drums and dv units out you may save like 50 lbs.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

I would leave the trays in..not much weight here, ADF is secured with 2 screws and you may have to remove the wire bundle, not sure if this is Molex connection or not. Fuser, x-port belt, IUs and waste bottle removed it should be light enough for 1 person to lift it. (not recommending 1 person take it up stairs). The lower paper tray assy is not meant for separation into two sections. I guess you could lighten it by 20 lbs or so by removing tray 3/4. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

With all the units mentioned above a.e. cca weight

Weight
    Machine Approx. 190.0 kg / 419.0 lb (without IU and Toner Cartridges)
    IU and TC Approx. 14.5 kg / 32.0 lb

ADF 16-20kg
    TRANSFER BELT 6-8kg
    FUSER 6-8kg
    Trays 1,2 3 kg each
    Tras 3 & 4 5kg each

190-16-3-3-5-5-7-7=144kg with the above units out.

You can take control panel off as that is another 3kg easy.
    If you want to be more thorough you can take paper feed 1 and 2 units and bypass off as well, that will shave anoter cca 15kg
    and if you going deeper then Print head is another 5-8kg.
    So after this you end up with cca 110-120'sh kg.
    Going deeper is just time consuming
    I suggest you tape in the tray slideres as they are a real pain when you go up stairs and they start to annoy your knees or eyes or stair railings, depence which way the machine travels.
    Ah and a tip for the ride. Use the ratchet straps with hooks and hook them in the hand hold slots. One strap per each side.
    Traveling up stair is better with the back of the machine leaning against the stairs and strap being sloted LH and RH rear slot of the machine if handled manually. Step by step and you get there.

If you use manual stair climber (sack barrow) triangle 3 wheels each side *6 wheel drive *then make sure is 3 of you and guy on top has the power to go all the way up. As there is no break time once you start rolling.

Good luck. Been there three times, done that, never again.

BTW there are electric stair climbers that can take that machine up easy. One man job, the whole shabank 200+kg. Just bear in mind there was enough room to turn etc.
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    I would leave the trays in..not much weight here, ADF is secured with 2 screws and you may have to remove the wire bundle, not sure if this is Molex connection or not. Fuser, x-port belt, IUs and waste bottle removed it should be light enough for 1 person to lift it. (not recommending 1 person take it up stairs). The lower paper tray assy is not meant for separation into two sections. I guess you could lighten it by 20 lbs or so by removing tray 3/4. Emujo
    Is that you Tony Stark ?
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by habik View Post
    With all the units mentioned above a.e. cca weight

Weight
    Machine Approx. 190.0 kg / 419.0 lb (without IU and Toner Cartridges)
    IU and TC Approx. 14.5 kg / 32.0 lb

ADF 16-20kg
    TRANSFER BELT 6-8kg
    FUSER 6-8kg
    Trays 1,2 3 kg each
    Tras 3 & 4 5kg each

190-16-3-3-5-5-7-7=144kg with the above units out.
    Thanks for detailed explanation !

Now I just worry about fuser / transfer belt. How to secure them for a short trip. Can I just put some A3 papers on the pass area and some bubble wrap ?

I have managed to find a team of piano movers, unfortunately they are not having an electric stair climber, so 4 people will be carrying it.

I guess 144kg is pretty good for a 4 guys, especially with landing area on each floor