Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

FS-534 on C754e jamming from paper alignment guide

I noticed this happens every 9 pages.

The both alignment guides will move to the front of the copier just a little and has a page is coming thru the paper runs into the rear alignment guide.

I went to the office and ran a new machine with same finisher and it doesn't seem to behave the same.

I updated firmware. Happens with letter, legal, all paper trays, tried fresh ream of paper. Looked at some mylars, clean rollers.

Thinking finisher control board. They did have issue many months ago with power supply and other board.

Maybe someone has seen this.

Here is a video of the copier with the issue:
    https://goo.gl/photos/7bVywworXzdULYRRA

Here is one of the new finisher
    https://goo.gl/photos/ohHjmDwfrnxVPrsdA

Re: FS-534 on C754e jamming from paper alignment guide

I presume you have tried firmware already.

Try 8 page document and 3 sets to offset. Will it go through? Or will it jam up?

Somehow I see a lag in the broken finisher. Are both videos on 754e ? Have you tried swapping sensors on that alignment unit? PS13 and PS28, am sure the I/O check woul be OK, just a curiosity. Sometimes re-seating PS does miracles.

Board it might be, but I'd go with firmware first.
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

every time I've seen paper get trapped on one of those alignment plates its because its full of paper cuts in the plastic - I carry them in the car, that rear one is the hardest to change too.

Make sure it's not just this very common issue before chasing a red herring.

I did update firmware as I mentioned. Sensors? Maybe if those sensors only play a part during ejection? Only happens at that stage it seems.

The new machine was a 554 speed so it is slower.

I acknowledge the chance of paper getting caught on alignment plate but I still can't get over the fact how the alignment plates behave as both shift to the front of the main body. The new finisher doesn't do that at all. Took me a while to see that happening if you watch the alignment plates closly you can see it.

With all that said thanks for some input. I will update the post with further details.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: FS-534 alignment plate wearing.
    I also had this problem on a C754e/FS534 after 50k copies and machine was only 4 months old. I replaced the alignment plates to fix it but, 4 months and 50k copies later it was doing it again. It cuts those grooves because the way the paper lines up perfectly with those plates. So I adjusted the mechanical centering on each paper tray (including the external LCT) so the paper is closer to rear of machine until problem goes away then adjust centering in ser mode to realign image on paper. Most trays only needed 2mm but some needed 5. That was 9 months ago and I haven't heard back. I didn't need to replace the plates again.
    The reason the plates shift to the front is because it's offset sorting. As 1 set is being shifted to the front, the first sheet of the next set is coming out and should be going over the top of the rear plate until it returns to the rear. One set shifts to the front, the next set doesn't get shifted. If you are only making 1 set, there is no shift. I don't think multiple copies of 1 sheet get shifted either.
    Last edited by BR549; 06-22-2016 at 12:47 PM.

So it was cuts on the plates and also they were missing the Mylars on them which I noticed on a new unit.

I do still notice the shift to the front. Offset sort is off. This doesn't happen on 554s that I test it on. It happens on customers 754 and also 754 at shop. It behaves differently with between those two models.

But with new plates and the Mylars it works.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

The mylars are not a long term fix. You'll get the 72-18 jams in less than 300K. Try this instead:
    FS-534 alignment plate wearing.
    I've got a finisher with 1M clicks since the modification, and no paper cuts.

This is what they look like in the final installation:
    FS-534 alignment plate wearing.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=