Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Re: New overtime labor law

I think anyone who uses this site to figure out the best way to be compensated with the new OT laws is asking for a visit from the department of labor. If you're not sure, go talk to a professional, next thing we'll be seeing is recommendations on how to perform that brain surgery we've been putting off. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: New overtime labor law

I agree with the logic behind it. I am a little old school when it comes to working. Our office hours are 0800 - 1700. I am there 30 mins prior to job start if I have to be in the office and most times I go directly to clients office. There are many times I am at a clients well before my 0800 timeframe (usually doctors or Gov) and still work past my 1700 time. I don't go asking for the extra time as it will pay off later in the week. Some times my first call isnt until 9, 10 and could be 100+ mile from my house, I will allow for adequate time to travel and I may only have 2 calls that day and I am off. Other times I can have 5 calls spread out in a 40 mile radius. If it is regular that you are working past your 40 and not being compensated for it then you need to stand up for yourselves. In my earlier years with a dictator as a boss, when someone would get very lazy they would enforce the be at the office at 0800 and 1700. I would drop what ever I am doing at the time I have to leave the client to be back at the office at 1700, regardless of what condition that machine is in. (I know some of you are boiling right now thinking a tech has done that to you) No worries it only takes 1 major customer to clear that up. If you are constantly getting stepped on and have to work extra hours and not being compensated for it, my strong recommendation is continue your certifications thru company and other resources, renegotiate your contract or see if they give bonuses for certification. (get it in writing be you start and make sure it is for all certifications and not just in class hands on). Don't just expect an annual raise based on your calls. Do something that stands outs and benefits yourself and the company. Also remember that your Certifications belong to you NOT THE COMPANY.

We have todays useless youth to blame for these actions. They want everything given to them with no work. $15 hr to work at a fast food joint because someone chose not to get edu-macated and earn the salary they desire/warrant. Get educated, teach yourself, learn a trade, throw on a shirt and tie and go sell yourself. I have seen to many people stuck in a job for many many years and are complaining they don't get paid as much as everyone else or have'nt gotten a raise in a while. If your office closes tomorrow you have to go sell yourself to the next employer NO BOSS is going to look for another job for you. A few techs I know in the area thought they had it good. 3 weeks before Christmas, Boss man came in on payday and said Dec 31 is your last day, sorry I am retiring and closing the business. 5 of the 31 people found jobs. Most had to travel long distances just to get another job as they were qualified to maybe order paper or coffee