Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Original toner Vs compatible , advice needed

hello everybody

my company started purchasing compatible due its low price and some problems with old dealer ,

anyway i know from posts i read from time to time that non Oem toner will cause problems in the machine in long term ,

and i will the one that will be stuck with it then ,

so i need some advice or any horror stories about the compatible toner for me to convince them to switch back to original one .

thank you very much ,

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Re: Original toner Vs compatible , advice needed

It would help if we knew what models of copiers you are using.
    The company I work for has switched back to OEM for most of our models.
    We had issues with black toner for the C353 and C360 series, so we now use OEM black for these and AM colours. Everything else we use all OEM.
    Our BH350 series would slowly start producing faded copies after about 1000 or so pages after a drum and dev change. It took a while to figure out why until I had some spare time in the shop and experimented with one. I put in an OEM toner and set the machine for 500 copies and just let it go. Around the 250 mark the density started coming back and by the end of the 500 it was perfect. Pretty definitive I would say. Since the switch back to OEM we have regularly been getting close to 200% drum life, and fusers have been lasting a lot longer. So we have actually been saving money by using OEM.
    BH423 series, same story.
    Just my 2 cents

Original is the best option for sure but the cost does make it tempting to try it.
    Trial and error got us the best compatible stuff out there and its not much cheaper probable like 30% less.

On say a B223 bad toner will chew the mag roller until it shines and shows on the copies shorten drum life and would not fuse properly causing a sticky build up on the roller.
    10K to 15K prints later it will cause all of this maladies.

B601 would @#$% out 5K - 10K later

C360 would cost you a fortune to fix.

So get a rat machine to test the stuff on for at-least a 100K.

The German made toners works as good as the original.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have a customer with 5 Canon IRA c5030's. They switch to compatible toner and all seemed okay for a while. But then we started having ghosting issues that were only resolved by switching back to OEM toner. Also, when using the compatible toner the waste containers were filling up much faster. More waste = few pages per toner cartridge. So the savings were minimal at best. After returning to OEM toner all of these issues went away.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

One interesting way to see if the compatible supplies are OK is to study their warrantee return policy. If you get a bad batch, and you can show that's the case, and they will replace the bad supplies like the OEM manufacturer would, you've found a company that will stand behind their product and is awesome. Otherwise, you're entirely on your own.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

we always do sample testing in our office or at a select customer to see how the machines hold up with the 3rd party toner installed in them. Normally the machines start having issues with the first couple days, and if by chance they do not the second round of toners installed will cause an issue with image quality. In the end the customer satisfaction just is not worth the pennies you are going to save.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

Back in the day we tried many third party toner. we ended up with more service calls and parts usage. the machines run dirty. we only use oem

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

We've found using non genuine toners mean you must change the developer/drums or image units when they are due for change, whereas if using genuine toner then these other consumable parts can be pushed past their life expectancy.

So we use compat toners on low usage customers and use genuine toner on high usage customers.

Seems to work for us

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

We use only OEM on our contract machines. We do not sell aftermarket color to anyone. I rarely see after market go the expected life. Most will fail.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    One interesting way to see if the compatible supplies are OK is to study their warrantee return policy. If you get a bad batch, and you can show that's the case, and they will replace the bad supplies like the OEM manufacturer would, you've found a company that will stand behind their product and is awesome. Otherwise, you're entirely on your own.
    Our supplier imports the 3rd party toners. We did slip up badly with a batch that took 3 months to fix.
    Now i just send it back to the supplier if he likes it or not.
    He would not refund us for the installed toners only the ones still sealed.
    Not a bad guy when it comes to this kind of think and will give us the first "new" toners for free to test and to decide if its good enough.

When in doubt use the original stuff.
    Whatever