Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    Original toner Vs compatible , advice needed

Re: Original toner Vs compatible , advice needed

just my .02c
    aftermarket toner=dirt in a bottle.
    my 18 years of turning the screwdriver i have never had such poor CQ, failure to reach yield on consumables, clogged waste toner pipes, caked up toner in hopper, fusers that turn into presses, ATDC sensor failures from OEM toner.
    anytime i see A/M toner in a machine the pit of my stomach starts to ache.
    YMMV

For the color machines i totally agree, proved that on the C360 machines.
    I have not found color toner that let the unit go past yield where the originals will let the yields go past double.

The B/W toner i use seems to be just as good. No ill effects found with that German stuff next to that is the compatible stuff from Japan.
    Don't seem to be able to get the stuff from Japan any more.
    The developer from Japan was half the price and worked perfectly.

If you can get a B600 to run it's yields then you know the stuff must be identical, may be better.
    Even the B163/250/223 well exceeds the yields when it comes to toner and parts (3de party drums, blades, UFR and other bits and pieces)

If not for the 3de party stuff the dealers would struggle to compete with KM directly.
    They can beat any copy charge by quite a margin.

Now i remember my days with Kyocera/Ricoh machines.
    Its really stupid but the company i used to work for eventually close due to for what i believe was crappy consumables.
    The guys there would refuse to buy better consumables and made the work load, parts cost and logistics over an 800 Km radius to costly.
    It chewed on the company for a couple of years to the point were they could not pay staff on time anymore.
    Luckily i resigned there well before that happened.

For the management, they did not have the correct technical understanding that if you kill the goose that lays the golden eggs things would turn tits up.
    Whatever

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts neil greenhough's Avatar

You can't make gold out of lead! If you put crap in you will get crap out. It's the manufacturers fault that this ridiculous situation of unsustainable no profit service costs has driven dealers to using 3rd party inferior toner. If their prices for toner were realistic dealers could make a honest buck. Also if dealers did their homework regarding actual page coverage and pages per job then they would quickly realise that they were on a hiding to nothing. Remember 10 percent of nothing is still nothing! Note to manufacturers - Stop being so greedy and give the dealers a chance. Remember, dealers put right what you get wrong. So how about a bit of payback!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 250+ Posts nottoosharp's Avatar

With sharp b/w machines I have had problems in about 50% of the mx models using non oem toners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technician

I've used only Katun compatible toners and never ever expierenced a problem in any machine that we've used them.
    Only once we had a DOA problem that was replaced with a new cartridge and everything was fine.

I suppose Katun is a guaranteed brand especially in Germany.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The advice and replies you will receive will come from 2 different parties.

1) copier engineers who would use genuine everything all of the time regardless of the cost as it makes their life a little easier and they get paid at the end of the month regardless.

2) people who own and repair machines themselves, like me, ideally I would use genuine every time but as mentioned in an earlier post, the cost of genuine toner can be prohibitive when cost per prints are being forced lower.

Ask your non genuine supplier for the sales numbers of the products you are interested in and ask dealers you know if they use them.

I think we have all seen what the bad stuff can do.
    K toner + B601 = got fetch vacuum cleaned and developer.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I only use non oem toner in our Konica machines c252/c253/c452/c280/c284 range of machines. We are a small Indy just myself and my business partner and I don't see any real problems with the toner. We run all machines over life and get what you would expect from yields. Off course I can't compete to oem but we don't seem to change parts early apart from the odd failure.
    paul.

Service Manager 250+ Posts nottoosharp's Avatar

Has anyone else had problems with non-OEM toners throwing up toner abnormality codes the summer? For the winter it was fine by last two weeks I've had abnormalities ten times

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jakani View Post
    hello everybody

my company started purchasing compatible due its low price and some problems with old dealer ,

anyway i know from posts i read from time to time that non Oem toner will cause problems in the machine in long term ,

and i will the one that will be stuck with it then ,

so i need some advice or any horror stories about the compatible toner for me to convince them to switch back to original one .

thank you very much ,
    I worked for a Ricoh dealer as a service manager. Owner switched to non oem toner with manufacturer promising to fix any issues. We had a lot of service calls. In the old days Quill toner just dumped out of the developer. At the Ricoh dealer we had a ton of service calls relating to the developers. Owner bragged he was saving $25k a month. But customers were pissed and the techs suffered their wrath. I ended up quitting, two techs quit after I did. Another tech said he called Ricoh for poor copy quality and Ricoh troubleshooter came out. Saw non-oem toner, got camera out took a picture and said see you later. I had a machine this year with toner in a canon box in a canon bottle that a lady bought off the internet. Would not fuse (black) in a 7260. Vacuumed all toner out put in our bottle and perfect copies. In 30 years I never have seen good results with non oem toner. Otherwise everyone would order it. It is a lot cheaper. Your job is going to be a lot harder. First thing I asked the new place I am working at. Don't want to go down that road again!