Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    WTF! It can't be this hard to install Firmware

Re: WTF! It can't be this hard to install Firmware

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Is the yellow folder labeled "msc" inside the C224 base firmware suppose to be copied onto flash?

Yes, the 'msc' folder should be on the root of the flash drive, along with all the other individual files from within the 'A1610Y0-F000-G00-72(00)' folder.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

That is what I did, I included that msc folder. I copied & pasted everything in (00), tried "send to", "move files", etc.. All the ways I tried writing to flash were successful and the same files were on the flash drive when I checked.

Firmware and I go way back. Without sounding too stupid I always struggled with Kon/Min firmware for some reason. It all started with the C250, C253 and those damn compact flash cards. Got better with C220 now having trouble again. Mostly every machine I get from wholesaler needs the movie data put back in. Never had a problem with installing movie data.

Thanks again

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

what brand stick are you using? the ones with the stupid hidden software are garbage, they try to push the autorun crap before the actual boot firmware.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Yeah it is more forgiving with the C220 and 223 series using the tar files. The 4 and 4e series are a bit more unforgiving. Some usb drive work better than others.

I have had some drives that would work perfectly for the 4 and 4e series but then it wouldn't after I used it for something else possibly. In those case I remember that I tried to reformat it with the quick format but that didn't help. In those cases I had to do a full format with fat32 to eventually make it work. But then with some usb sticks even that didn't work. Eventually you go through enough sticks that you just find some (and I have many sticks) that just work no matter what and you just always trust them for certain situations.

other than that, it sounds like you are doing everything correct.

Another option if you were desperate is to load the firmware via FTP. That is what the mktar_Zeus.bat file is for. You just drag the folder for example "A2X00Y0-F000-G00-72(00)" onto that .bat file and it will create a tar file. Of course you can't use that tar file on the usb stick like the C220 & 223 series but it can be used to load the firmware via FTP using ISW.

I agree it has to be the Flash drives are the problem. The few I tried today were the cheap ones. I tried a full format on them and that didn't help. Think you are right about the crap loaded on the cheap flash drives. I guess formatting doesn't remove it?

What brand flash drives have you had success with? Now that I think of it the reason I got the cheap ones is I couldn't find 1 or 2gb brand name. The service manual says to use 2gb or less, how critical is the size?

Thanks

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Just a tip from a Ricoh-tech that used to be a KM tech (meaning it's been a long time since I've last updated a KM machine):

Try to completely erase the flash drive's partition (Right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management or using any Partition Management software - Be VERY careful not to erase any other partition on your computer or you'll lose everything there) and then create a FAT32 partition from scratch on the thumb drive.

Maybe that'll help...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    What brand flash drives have you had success with? Now that I think of it the reason I got the cheap ones is I couldn't find 1 or 2gb brand name. The service manual says to use 2gb or less, how critical is the size?

Thanks
    We use only Kingston brand flash drives, specifically the 8G and 16G sizes; never a problem even after repeated wiping and rewriting and have never had to format the drives.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

In my travels I have come across a SanDisk web based utility specifically designed to remove any disk management software. Maybe that's what you need.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Drop the file marked "CW" into the one marked "mktar_Zeus.bat" and it will create a .tar file. Put this on the thumb drive with the large file you initially put on.
    This should allow the firmware to load on the machine.

Houston we have lift off !!!

Finally got it to work. Think it was the flash drives I was using. Tried installing the firmware with copier addict's trick and it didn't work on 1, 2, or 4 GB's cheap flash drives. It didn't even recognize and booted right to basic screen. Finally tried a SanDisk 32GB and it worked. So much for cheap flash drives and K/M saying to use 2GB or less!

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

PS, I don't think I'll ever like firmware