Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: BW Production Printing Headaches

Thanks to all your guys for your input. Please correct this novice.

The unit has 9M copies on it but is guaranteed to go under a service contract with a full money back guarantee. It was on a contract directly from Minolta as of last week. I was debating about putting it under a new contract but looking at Yoda/Allen is making me consider it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tech51 View Post
    I assume the machine is used. In which case how many prints does it have on it already? All machines tend to need increased maintenance as they age, which may be beyond you as a non technical person. That's when you will need a fully trained & experienced technician who as access to all of the non standard parts that can wear or break. In my opinion you will be taking a big gamble on the reliability of the unit, particularly the binder. Whatever you do I wish you good luck.
    That's a good point about the binder. I don't know that model specifically, but finishing attachments like that are typically not made by the machine manufacturer, and often can cause serious headaches for technicians (which translates into increased labor costs as it takes longer to troubleshoot and fix).
    -----------------------------------------------
    Config page instructions for copiers, printers, & fax machines

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

This is a Minolta Bizhub 1200

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I have found (painfully) that the hardest customer to keep satisfied is the one with no service contract.

Folks with no agreement tend to never call for service until it gets to a critical point, where nearly everything needs to be addressed, making for a very high repair bill.

"Every time we call you it takes us down for 2 days and costs us a bundle!". Well, yeah, that's exactly what will happen when you wait too long to ask for help.

Nobody is doubting your technical prowess, it's just that you need a trained expert with the right resources (genuine parts, firmware, manuals, factory assistance, etc...) available should the need arise.

It's a lot easier to deal with a major issue if a tech has been there on a routine basis, and is familiar with not only the machine itself, but the environment, the way a machine is used, and, most importantly, the customer. These can be HUGE intangibles.

Over the years (far too many to admit ) I can safely say that the most difficult customers I ever had were ones that I had to write a bill for when I was done.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    BW Production Printing Headaches

Actually if I was an end user a production machine would be where I would want a service contract. It's not a bad deal paying per click with everything included.

It is a matter of rolling the dice. Example If you get a electrical surge or a circuit board just blows out you could be looking at $1200+ just for one board. Fuser units, etc $1000+ each,etc etc.

I tell my customers if you like peace of mind then get the contract, otherwise take the gamble. Like any type of insurance, nice when you need it.

Keep in mind it will be very costly if you max out all the consumable & maintenance items then call a company to put copier under contract. They will require ALL items to be replaced before covering with a contract. Big $$$$$

Couple of tips if you decide to take the gamble:

1) Use only Genuine toner & good quality paper.

2) Drop to knees say a prayer and power on the machine.

Best of luck

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Toner is $65, fuser is $168, and developer is $175 off ebay and look genuine.

Im looking at a contract based on responses.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Toner is $65, fuser is $168, and developer is $175 off ebay and look genuine.

Im looking at a contract based on responses.
    If you don't go with the contract, make sure (1) that those parts are genuine before ordering them, and (2) that if you order the developer by itself, instead of as a whole unit, that you know how to install it.

copyman made a good point -- if you decide to put the machine under contract later, the company will likely require many of the parts to be replaced so they can ensure that the machine is at a baseline level where they can keep it serviced.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Config page instructions for copiers, printers, & fax machines

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. CPC on a 1051 are running $0.0075 since it is 7 years old. Multiply that by 1M copies it is $7500. Cost for toner, developer, drums, fuser parts is running $1,000 for 1M copies. $6500 is a huge difference IMO. The way I have heard these machines being described as being indestructible and solid makes me think it won't require $6500 in service. But maybe I am over simplifying things.

I would also consider: 1) what is the projected production on this unit. 2) Do you have a backup unit to shove jobs to while waiting for a tech to arrive. 3) What is the hourly cost for the tech to come to you ( travel time? Labor? Parts if needed? 4) can you afford to have a production machine down for days?

A maintenance contract like stated will: 1) Give you a expected response time 2) Better pricing on parts 3) Most companies will use OEM Toners/Drums/Parts as opposed to 3rd party compatibles. 4) Who knows how much knowledge the responding tech will have with that product!?

But Hey it's your money and reputation on the line.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks, I do have another C6000+ Perfect Binder for any down time.

I did talk to the local minolta branch, they said new printers get 0.00125 click rates, so my click rate may be much cheaper. They are going to inspect the unit soon. My calculations may have been off.

But the branch manager felt the life of a 1200 is around 25 million copies and than after that it starts getting ugly with lots of down time.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

For this series of machine I can tell you with some pretty good accuracy. My largest direct mail customer has 4 KM 1051's (Same as 1200) and last year they ran 15.5 million 8 1/2 x 11 impressions. I recently tallied up everything they have spent in that time period for service and parts (Toner and paper not included) and they are averaging $.0014 per page. This is with PROPER maintenance with full PM's on schedule etc. These machines are well built tanks. I have 2 at over 22 million clicks still running strong. For this customer we keep an onsite parts and supply inventory to minimize down time.

Lee