Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Support Desk 50+ Posts SlipperyCat's Avatar

~ Dedicated 20amp or converter? ~

I can buy an adapter for $13 to convert a 15amp outlet into a 20amp. Some Konica machines require a 20amp outlet of course. Why can't an adapter be used? Doesn't most businesses use 20amp in the building behind the scenes and only the outlets are 15amp?

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Re: ~ Dedicated 20amp or converter? ~

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyCat View Post
    I can buy an adapter for $13 to convert a 15amp outlet into a 20amp. Some Konica machines require a 20amp outlet of course. Why can't an adapter be used? Doesn't most businesses use 20amp in the building behind the scenes and only the outlets are 15amp?
    The issue is that the wire between the breaker panel and the outlet is only rated for 15 amps. You are opening yourself up to a lot of liability if you just install an adapter. Not worth it in my opinion

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The 20 amp plug is there for a reason... Why bother spending $$ for a converter, just grab a pair of plyers and turn that pesky prong 90 degrees. This is the same thing as a "converter".I would also recommend you add a vending machine, coffee pot and space heater on the same outlet, and be sure the ground wire is attached to the plumbing pipes..Emujo

Support Desk 50+ Posts SlipperyCat's Avatar

OK! Thanks!

If those adapters were an actual solution I'd be a rich man because sales reps never bother to check power. Have a box in my car and sell them for $50 a pop when they look like idiots in front of their clients. Easy cash!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

do not follow emoju2 advise .. those plugs are designed for that reason.. so a 20amp machine cannot hookup to a 15 amp line..

like copier addict said ... have the customer install a 20amp breaker...

running that machine on an "adapter" will draw too much on the line.. could damage the 15amp breaker and start a fire.

why do $15/hr technicians ( or technicants in some cases ) think they know better than a $100k a year electrical engineer?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    do not follow emoju2 advise .. those plugs are designed for that reason.. so a 20amp machine cannot hookup to a 15 amp line..

like copier addict said ... have the customer install a 20amp breaker...

running that machine on an "adapter" will draw too much on the line.. could damage the 15amp breaker and start a fire.

why do $15/hr technicians ( or technicants in some cases ) think they know better than a $100k a year electrical engineer?
    I suppose you did not recognize the ironic tone to emujo's post? He is not encouraging this stupidity. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I suppose you did not recognize the ironic tone to emujo's post? He is not encouraging this stupidity. =^..^=
    Thank you..must have lost something in the translation..E

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I suppose it's up to you if you want to take on odd and possibly expensive electrical problems on the copier.

Be responsible for if the building burns down and the insurance company will not pay out because you have violated fire codes.

You could stick a 15A breaker in the back of the machine to check if it will break.
    If it does break you have a problem if it does not and run on the 15A breaker you should be ok.
    Then leave it in there.

The production machine does have a built in breaker.
    Not sure about the rating.

Then again the machine was designed and tested by knowledgeable people and the ratings is the ratings.
    Whatever

When I was doing installs, we had this thing called a site survey. Sales was required to go onsite and verify the electrical would support the devices going in. If this was signed by the customer, the MFP was delivered. If I arrived on site and the outlet was incorrect, then I would refuse the install and say "please call back when you have this corrected". When I came back I only checked for the existence of the correct NEMA outlet, I didn't inspect breakers and wiring. If the customer just took the shortcut and didn't upgrade the wiring and breaker from the plug back to the panel it wasn't my problem. If a call was placed for a dead MFP and the breaker was tripped, then I would require a electricians work order showing the necessary changes had been made and I would unplug the device and depart. This was a very rare problem, most of the KM office equipment that had NEMA 20 plugs were only like this because they had enough accessories that, if all of them were running, (saddle, PI, folder) they could draw over 15 amps. I am still more concerned over grounding issues than 15 gauge/20 gauge wiring. And, for the original poster, when you say converter, do you mean an actual electrical appliance that converts 15 amp to 20 amp service, or do you mean a pigtail that merely routs the 3 wire nema 20 to a nema 15. I only post this because I am 100% sure that we have a lot of 20 amp MFPs plugged into what looks like a nema 20 amp outlet but only the outlet was changed. You are probably not going to have to deal with any building fires. Emujo