Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

How to identify my Bizhub C203 problem?

Hi Forum,

I got a strange problem with my Bizhub C203. Some days ago it started with an incredible loud clicking noise. That noise started from one moment to the other while it was printing, and is now permanently as soon as I switch on the machine. We didnīt change anything at the machine previously. The last thing was the fuser 4 weeks ago. It sounds like some broken gear-wheel or similar near the ozone filter on the back right. But thats hard to tell as I just can hear from the outside, and it may be somewhere else. Perhaps near the fusing, or the image transfere roller, or anything else, ...
    But as the machine still works well, I donīt know how to identify my problem. Of course the machine stops as soon as I open any door, and so I cannot follow and see where the cklicking noise comes from.

Any ideas for me, what to do now? Where to start? All the gear wheels that I can see look fine. But the noise is extreme and I fear that I seriously damage the copier when I "play around" more time and let it run another 10 minutes.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: How to identify my Bizhub C203 problem?

There are three things that can experience drive failure and not show an immediate effect:

1) toner add
    2) developing agitation
    3) waste toner system

if it sounds like it's coming from the back it's probably the waste toner system. Wow! You have a treat in your future! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

This series was bad for hardened toner clogging the supply tubes in the back, it could also be the transfer belt waste augers or related parts. Either way, this is not a task the average end user wants to tackle. This is hours of tear down, cleaning and re assembly. I would recommend having a Konica Minolta dealer quote a price for the repair, and then, if this is what the problem is, replace the MFP. Emujo

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hey thanks for that quick answers. Well the waste toner system is a good hint. The wast toner box was replaced the same day. I didnīt think about it as It is at the other side of the machine Well, the service manual was not really helpful about the waste toner system. Perhaps you can tall me more?
    And are the "supply tubes in the back" connected to the waste toner system? If it is the waste toner system, where does this ugly loud klicking noise come from? Can I turn on the machine again without finally damaging it?

Sadly we got no money for any real technician, as we drive our machines privately an non commercial. So I have to do it with the service manual and your help.

Record the sound to make sure we are going down the correct rabbit hole.
    If its the waste toner transport you are going to be thrown into the deep end.

Very fixable there is just a 1000 bits and pieces you need to remove to get to the problem it takes almost an entire day to do.
    So i really hope for your part its not that.
    Whatever

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Each time i've had this clicking caused by toner clogging in the waste pips etc I write the machine off, it is simply not worth the time & effort to repair such an old machine.

Now the weather has got hotter (UK) this problem starts appearing!

Nightmare job!

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Few cans of beer, good music and no one interrupting you you'll be done in 4-6 hrs. All depends on your photo-memory in your brain.

Good luck and hope it is not the same as in the video below. The sound was very ratchet like type. Nylon gears skipping on drive mechanism, until one of them gives up and then once 2-3 teeth are out it will skip on any occasion it can when higher torque is required. There is 2 of the same gears to it. part nr. 4004254501 - GEAR 18/30T.
    One on the drive train side and one on the waste auger drive end. They both are locking in 90 degree angle. The first job was a nightmare... then I actually enjoyed it as it was fun..

Toner Convey Section C203 - Item 16.jpgFeed Drive C203 item 9.jpg
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Before jumping the gun with noise coming from the waste toner system I would pull out the transfer belt (2 screws) and check the cleaning unit on there. Since you said you recently replaced the fuser maybe a piece of the orange rubber is preventing the trans belt cleaning unit from turning. This is assuming you replaced the fuser because the orange rubber roller broke apart?

By the way I have seen this happen many times. Almost every Biz 203/253 the orange rollers are breaking apart. I still have around 20-30 of these in service.

Shame but this series has reached "end of life" status with Konica Minolta. No longer supported and when parts are gone they are gone.
    Last edited by copyman; 05-31-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

copyman, you have been right. We exchanged the fuser, because of one of the rubber rolls breaking in pices! ;) I put out the transfer belt this evening, and really there have been 2 small pices of that rubber around. But not more, and cleaning didnīt change the situation. But, the whole belt was full of yellow toner. So I had a look at the yellow drum and it is also full of yellow toner. So I suspect that I really got a wast toner system problem.

habik, you are incredible - as always! ;) But as I know you, when you do it in 6 hours, I will need about 4-5 days. But ok, it is doable at least! Thanks as well for the right pages of the parts manual.

copier tech, of course you are right for "commercial" usage of a printer, Even if habik would try to rescue the machine, it is questionable if it is worth the "investment" of time and power. But on the other hand, we got time, but no money, so I will give it a try in any case. Trashing a whole machine, because cleaning a part deep inside takes long to access the part, is ugly by the way. Well it is how our world works, but I like to care about machines and ressources. Call me a hippie ;)

allan, here is the audio. It is an .amr file from my mobile, bad quality, but you will hear it well enough! :-)

BizhubC203.amr.zip

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

that is gears stripping to me.
    check all the drive components and the fuser gears. especially the little ones on the main body.
    will it stop if you open the trays?
    i mean, that just sounds like gears not engaging to me. just try to pinpoint the sound to a specific area.