Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Emptying Waste Toner

Back in the day (no longer turn screwdrivers), my vacuum was only for MFP cleaning (spilled toner, dev, dust ect) Customers were taught to have plenty of waste bottles on hand. I wasn't very keen on filling up my little POS vacuum with waste toner as it meant a unnecessary trip to the shop. So no, either they took advantage of our Green program or capped the bottle and put it in the trash. Emujo

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Emptying Waste Toner

most times on copiers.. yes I take them to my car and clean them.
    some printers you have to replace them ( chipped )

but if the machine is under contract... keep spare ones there and change it out.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Emptying Waste Toner

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    Back in the day (no longer turn screwdrivers), my vacuum was only for MFP cleaning (spilled toner, dev, dust ect) Customers were taught to have plenty of waste bottles on hand. I wasn't very keen on filling up my little POS vacuum with waste toner as it meant a unnecessary trip to the shop. So no, either they took advantage of our Green program or capped the bottle and put it in the trash. Emujo
    on a 3M toner vac.. I have found you can empty them (filters) out several times before having to put a new one in...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

We are an independent and we always replace the waste containers.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I go back to the analogue days when you had to empty the waste. No customer replaceable boxes or recycling in those days. Everyday was a black snot day back then. Techs today are so pampered in that respect😀

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Emptying Waste Toner

Using non genuine is more troubnle than its worth. We used kastun boxes for a bit. Half the time they would detect or would make strange noises. Youd think a wtb would be a safe thing to buy non genuine but you will be mistaken

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

I only empty for the customer in an emergency if they have not got a spare one and the machine has stopped. Otherwise its new genuine all the time and customers change them by themselves, they cost next to nothing.

In emergencies i also re-cap different speed/ same engine toners if the correct version is not on hand for the customer - marketing BS - no difference in toner.

I also use colour belts in black and white machines so I dont have to carry so many varieties, and here the black belts cost more than colour anyway.

A few weeks ago there was a national shortage of C3100p toners, C3110 is the same fricken machine but with a scanner on top. Chop the fins off the top of the c3110 toners and they go straight in, detect and reset fine!

Techs always have back ways.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    If they are a KM customer (under maintenance) you can sign them up for the Green Planet program..All MFP waste products (toner, waste bottles, IU's ect) can be placed into a pre paid UPS Shipping box and sent back to KM for free. Emujo
    Not bashing the idea, but in a practical sense, how "green" is it to pay UPS and ship away waste toner vs dump in a sack & double bag? There's no more plastic than the avg fast food lunch packaging for a few employees, and it probably takes most of the same plastic inside to make another container. Somebody has to mine the new materials, melt & form the new tank, package, transport, store, order, ship to dist center, ship to dealer, deliver to client, process the orders, dang that's a lot of energy for a green program.

Takes me 2-3 min. Saves both of us money. That's what my customers care about. That's the diff between looking out for the customer's wallet like most indy's have to and corp guys who never see the checks except their own. Nobody's right, but come on, its only toner. If I were a corp guy, I'd do whatever got me out the door fastest too.

Health wise, it's all inert, (little or no ability to react) so unless your digesting it in quantity, no worries.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Emptying Waste Toner

Quote Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
    Not bashing the idea, but in a practical sense, how "green" is it to pay UPS and ship away waste toner vs dump in a sack & double bag? There's no more plastic than the avg fast food lunch packaging for a few employees, and it probably takes most of the same plastic inside to make another container. Somebody has to mine the new materials, melt & form the new tank, package, transport, store, order, ship to dist center, ship to dealer, deliver to client, process the orders, dang that's a lot of energy for a green program.

Takes me 2-3 min. Saves both of us money. That's what my customers care about. That's the diff between looking out for the customer's wallet like most indy's have to and corp guys who never see the checks except their own. Nobody's right, but come on, its only toner. If I were a corp guy, I'd do whatever got me out the door fastest too.

Health wise, it's all inert, (little or no ability to react) so unless your digesting it in quantity, no worries.

New here as well unless it's an emergency, to generate a service call for a waste toner to me is like generating one to change a toner. Our customers are trained to keep spares and utilize the recycling programs that are free to use. If your down because you don't have a spare supply. We'll try to get it too you as soon as we can but, sometimes that takes time.

Regards!

A.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Emptying Waste Toner

At a previous employer the waste toner light automatically created a down service call. The customer was down until somebody could dump it. There were very few spares.

Personally I thought that it was simply ridiculous that a customer would be down for a waste bottle message, then tie up a trained tech's time dumping toner out of a plastic box. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=