Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Konica C224 toner compatibility

Hi everyone! We used to refill our c350 with c6500 toner and had great success. I wonder If we can do the same to C224, can we refill the toner from c1060 or c1085?

Thanks

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Re: Konica C224 toner compatibility

i would not recommend that under any circumstance unless you enjoy callbacks and premature DV unit replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    i would not recommend that under any circumstance unless you enjoy callbacks and premature DV unit replacements.
    thanks for the advice. so you are saying their toner are completely different? if they use same toner, then it shouldn't be any problem, since i never had problem refilling my c350 with c6500 toner. I heard a lot copier manufacture they actually use same toner for their office and production machines, the difference are the bottle and chip.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

xx4 series toner has extra developer in the bottle, i dont think production machines have that or even the right ratio or even the right size particles for a BH.

Quote Originally Posted by ftq View Post
    thanks for the advice. so you are saying their toner are completely different? if they use same toner, then it shouldn't be any problem, since i never had problem refilling my c350 with c6500 toner. I heard a lot copier manufacture they actually use same toner for their office and production machines, the difference are the bottle and chip.

You can use C6500/6501 class toner and also C6000/7000/8000 class toner in C224, C350 etc machines because toner for these machines do not have developer inside toner. C1060, C1070 and C1085 have new generation of toner mixture with 5-10% developer inside toner to postpone service intervals for developer replacement in new machines. This toner would make damage to your developing/drum units.

Hope this helps.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nijebitno View Post
    You can use C6500/6501 class toner and also C6000/7000/8000 class toner in C224, C350 etc machines because toner for these machines do not have developer inside toner. C1060, C1070 and C1085 have new generation of toner mixture with 5-10% developer inside toner to postpone service intervals for developer replacement in new machines. This toner would make damage to your developing/drum units.

Hope this helps.

........you sure about that? I would check your facts before encouraging people to ruin their (spendy) dev units.

From the C224 manual:
    6.3.1 Toner replenishing overview
    • The toner replenishing mechanism incorporated in this machine has a two-step replenishing structure, one replenishing the toner hopper
    with toner from the toner bottle and the other replenishing the developing unit with toner from the toner hopper.
    • The toner bottle incorporates the auto refining developing system.
    • The toner bottle is packed with both toner and carrier and the developing unit is replenished with fresh carrier at the same time that it is
    replenished with toner. Excess carrier in the developing unit is discharged, thereby inhibiting carrier left in the developing unit from being
    deteriorated and maintaining stable image quality for an extended period of time.
    • For details of the auto refining developing system, see “O.5.3.3 Auto refining developing system”.

Quote Originally Posted by 907tec View Post
    ........you sure about that? I would check your facts before encouraging people to ruin their (spendy) dev units.

From the C224 manual:
    6.3.1 Toner replenishing overview
    • The toner replenishing mechanism incorporated in this machine has a two-step replenishing structure, one replenishing the toner hopper
    with toner from the toner bottle and the other replenishing the developing unit with toner from the toner hopper.
    • The toner bottle incorporates the auto refining developing system.
    • The toner bottle is packed with both toner and carrier and the developing unit is replenished with fresh carrier at the same time that it is
    replenished with toner. Excess carrier in the developing unit is discharged, thereby inhibiting carrier left in the developing unit from being
    deteriorated and maintaining stable image quality for an extended period of time.
    • For details of the auto refining developing system, see “O.5.3.3 Auto refining developing system”.
    Thank you for clearing this up for people who did not try it by themsleves. Every toner have small amount of developer inside but on new gen of machines that amount is far more than on older machines due to longer service intervals for replacement. This what I mentioned was not result of “official” KM tech recommendations than rather my own reserach and testing with C6501 toner and C224 machine I also have. I used C224 for 3 years running it on C6501 toner with no problems. C224 have 320.000 copies made. And from my research/experinece toner from C5501/6501 is identical as toner for C224 by content and structure. You can find info on US KM site in safety dara sheet section for each toner. It hurts that you by machine whic I know toner cost 30€ per bottle (original for C5501) in KM pricelist and you need to pay 90€ for toner half size but in different packaging. Guy who started thread did not ask for “official” opinion and is probably looking for some insensitive to try this. I am offering my own experience and nothing else.
    Forums are places where people share knowledge, experiences and findings with other people. Everything I wrote here is based of my personal experience and fyi I asked for advice on doing this 3 yeara ago and nobody could tell me any info so I risked 2 years old low clicks C224 and ty it. Result is 320.000 clcks with no problem using C6501 toner.

Best regards to everyone :-)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

[QUOTE=ftq;571672]Hi everyone! We used to refill our c350 with c6500 toner and had great success. I wonder If we can do the same to C224, can we refill the toner from c1060 or c1085?

There is some differences in toner.
    Some toner does not contain developer others do have appropriate amount of developer as per model requirement. ( 4% to 8-10%).
    machines which do have auto dispensing waste developer(you can see that by examining waste bottle, if there is provision for waste developer outlet), the toner contains developer to compensate developer quantity. If not theoretically there is no need for developer contain in toner. C1060 OR C1085 do have developer in toner (% really don't know).
    But my experience is I am using same (C1060) toner even in C220/280/360 machines as it worked very well. As all of us know, after some time developer quantity in C280 Family goes down, and this replenishment of developer helps to maintain the image quality. I am using this toner since C1060 made available, before that I used C8000 toner without any problem.
    Only thing is that you need to refill it manually as one bottle refills 3+ times.
    Hope this help

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Caveat emptor.

A HELL OF KNOWLEDGE for me..........