Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    BH-C-220, C-2553

BH-C-220, C-2553

Got a beautiful trade in BH-C-220 with only 90K on the clock. The CYM developing units having each only around 20K on it so should be all in a practically good condition. Machine gives from time to time a C-2553 service code. Looking in the history it shows that there where in the past, 118 times an issue with C-2553 codes recorded. All other units CY and also K have no codes at all.

Since this machine has to go in a very remote area I want to be sure about what's going on. Question: Are there any known issues causing the M developing unit alone to have so many C-2553 service codes?

Thanks in advance

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Re: BH-C-220, C-2553

I used to have a similar problem on a C220. Never could figure it out... I think every time the code came up I would just run a stabilizer and the tcr levels would return to normal.(opening and closing front door clears the code too)

The account was close by and low volume, so It worked out fine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Don't really know of any but what's a full blead and half blead print look like?
    as it's not done much volume take out the dev unit and look at the coverage on the mag roller and see if it's even, when it's out check toner fill entrance and give it a level shake.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    BH-C-220, C-2553

When these machines were new, many years ago, we had a few that had to have their HV boards replaced. Although the symptom for this was generally draining of the dev unit. Run a gradation print in test mode and look for diagonal void areas. If you see it replace the HV board.
    It could also be the FSRB which is the one behind the front panel.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    BH-C-220, C-2553

Talking Re: BH-C-220, C-2553

First check physically. It takes less time then testing.
    Pull the dev unit out and check if the TCR sensor connection is proper. On the actual TCR sensor, not the front board. I noticed that when re-fitting dev unit and connecting to front board and loom in to the clip points prior to fitting drum and locking it up, the wires had enough tension to disconnect or even lift the soldering of the TCR connector. So that would be my first point of suspicion. If physically OK + position of the TCR sensor seems OK and the brush on mag roller as PAULRID mentioned, is nice then try to top up toner levels.

Do halftone print from Service > Test Mode > Halftones > Magenta. and do 255 value for highest density and perhpas 60 value and see how it looks (any void lines) (leave samples on side)

Check the levels in Service mode > State Confirmation > Level History 1 (should be around 6.5-ish%). If it is below then manually top it up in
    Service mode > Imaging Process Adjustments > TCR Toner Supply > Magenta then hit Start.
    When finished check in Level History 1 what ratios you have as it may need topping up more. After each top up hit Stabilisator then Start. If you happy with the ratios then start testing.
    I'd do at least 20x A3 sheets 255 fill halfotnes and check the ratios. Then do another 20 etc, see how the dev is managing topping up and make notes as you go on each printed set. It can go up to 7-8% but then it will go down to 5-6% and then up. So when the extreme fill is going OK and TCR is reading and managing it nicely, then I'd still do more testing with 8 Color Solid Pattern. This test would take longer..I'd go with 5x 100 sheets A4 Duplexing (re-using the same paper until it becomes unbearable for the machine, i e jamming or such. Save the trees . Seems overkill but, the replenishing ratio will be slower and not as extreme but worth doing rather then driving long way out.

On another note though, since it is from trade it may be that the dev was previously fitted in another machine C280 or C360 which has different TCR levels and could be flicking the ratios all over the place. So if that is the case, then you better of with fitting new M-Dev and swallow the cost.

Either way Good luck.
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

The mechanism inside the hopper is a bit silly on these machines. The magnet reed switch combo with the flimsy aluminum plate in there makes for some fun times if that gets stuck in the hopper. The bottle will not turn because the hopper indicates that its full.
    Then there is the rubber tubes..

Make changes then hammer it with halftones to make dead sure it works.

Sometimes resetting the tank forcing it to re-calibrate can fix things.

The other extent
    Check the amount of developer in the tank if its very low the amount of toner it adds in a low TCR condition can make it shoot past the upper limit in a single cycle.
    Whatever

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    BH-C-220, C-2553

I don't know if it's pertinent to your situation, but we had a real estate client printing 8 page ledger booklets of which half of the pages were a lovely teal color 100% fill, something in the range of C:100, M:60, Y:50, K:60. I can get the actual CMYK values if it matters. This was on a C224e.

If this client printed more than 3 consecutive booklets it would completely de-tone the cyan developing unit. The machine would error out low cyan toner density, cancel the job at whatever point it got to, clear the job, then proceed to tone up the developer again. The customer's complaints were particularly cryptic: "Won't print." and "Jamming." No mention of error codes.

I did a little experimenting with the magenta and discovered that at 50% image fill I could completely de-tone the magenta developing unit and make it error out, I forget how many prints. Again I can look it up if it matters. The error auto clears, then runs for 15minutes trying to tone back up the magenta.

There were really not many things that I could do. I increased TCR to 8% for cyan so it would last a few pages longer. Then I suggested that they run two booklets at a time.

This is not a production machine, and it just can not keep up with the toner usage on heavy fill images. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts neil greenhough's Avatar

There are some modified toner hopper auger bearings for this problem. They are plastic and they oval out and sieze causing toner not to be fed, hence the low toner warning and errors. Take off the front cover on the hopper and watch it replenishing toner. The bearings are white and are easy to replace. Part number is - A5C1RA000 - Bushing. Give it a try.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts neil greenhough's Avatar

Sorry guys! Thought we were talking about a 224 machine.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    BH-C-220, C-2553

Very good info from all of you guys, thanks.

Found that the aluminum actuator of the toner-near-empty-switch in the sub-hopper* was locked in the upper position. Unclear how and why this happened but after releasing and a lot of halftone prints everything seems to be normal.

Hans

* (Don't know why KonicaMinolta calls it sometimes "Hopper" and sometimes "Sub-Hopper". For me its a sub-hopper)

Last edited by Hansoon; 08-07-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "