Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Konica Biz Hub 600 cleraner drive clutch question

Hi Guys. this unit had a toner back up. i found the cleaner clutch on the inboard end of the toner recovery roller shaft was rusty. i disassembled and tried to clean and it still was not turning when i made a copy. i ordered a new clutch. when i returned to replace it, the old one was scorching to the touch. i replaced the clutch, and when i made some copies, the toner recovery auger tube gears were still not turning.
    are the out board waste toner transport tube gears connected to another drive? arent those supposed to turn all the time when making a copy??

any help would be appreciated. have a very nice day, Jim

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Konica Biz Hub 600 cleraner drive clutch question

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post
    Hi Guys. this unit had a toner back up. i found the cleaner clutch on the inboard end of the toner recovery roller shaft was rusty. i disassembled and tried to clean and it still was not turning when i made a copy. i ordered a new clutch. when i returned to replace it, the old one was scorching to the touch. i replaced the clutch, and when i made some copies, the toner recovery auger tube gears were still not turning.
    are the out board waste toner transport tube gears connected to another drive? arent those supposed to turn all the time when making a copy??

any help would be appreciated. have a very nice day, Jim
    IF the clutch was that hot to the touch.. it could have fried the circuit of the board that controls it... although I would assume that would kick an error code

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

If you are sure "you can turn the cl unit augers by hand" with no binding. You can try changing softswitch. I seem to recall there was a bulletin about setting the clutch to run all the time. This was suppose to prevent paper dust build up and stop developer from crashing, which didn't help of course. Worth a try to change the SS to turn clutch all the time.

Anytime you recycle toner on a high volume machine you are looking for trouble. This was "Konica's" poor design that they brought with them when they merged with Minolta. They stuck with this design for 10+ yrs! It is in my top 10 for worst machines! "sorry had to vent"

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Attached is the bulletin about the cleaning unit clutch and also another about a gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts HuronMan's Avatar

I've been unplugging these so they are always driving the auger. If it still doesn't drive, there is a 1way in the drive unit on the shaft that drives it. Remove the carriage, reach in and grab the gear sticking out and see if it slips.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by HuronMan View Post
    I've been unplugging these so they are always driving the auger. If it still doesn't drive, there is a 1way in the drive unit on the shaft that drives it. Remove the carriage, reach in and grab the gear sticking out and see if it slips.
    +1 for this ^

I humbly claim to be able to finesse these machines into running very well and this is top of the list in my bag o tricks

Hi guys. Thank you Phil, Copyman, Huronman and Techitiion. this is so helpful. i will go back today and see whats the WTF? i really appreciate your help (again). Happy Friday to you guys. have a great weekend, Jim

Thank you very much to Copyman and Phill. i was able to set the dip soft switches. i think the last one did it. now when i cheat the interlock with the drum cover off, it starts the toner recovery drive before a copy is made. prior, it didn't turn when i made 10 copies. and i suspect that since the cleaner clutch must energize to stop the drive, that is why it was hot. the inner one way gear was fine. this machine as well as his C353 in a major name ship and send shop, has very low copy counts, but everything is falling apart like a 1968 mustang. so i told him i suspect at some point, the counters were zeroed, and has no bearing on actual wear and tear. the biz hub shows 334K and everything way long in the tooth. i have another customer with over 836k and that one you could eat off of.
    which brings my next post query for the other one.
    thank you guys SO much for the assistance. Jim

I always unplug the clutch on the cleaning unit. It tend to not work well with low volume applications and fills up the unit with toner.
    Why bother with dip switches just disconnect it. If all is well on the machine it makes no difference...
    Whatever

thank you Allan, that is actually a good idea. i will try that in the future. i have another one that over time drops toner. i bet it is the soft switch settings that are reducing the recovery drive.

i hope you have a nice day, Jim