Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C458 tripping

Technician

C458 tripping

Hi,

I have just been out to look at a customers machine it is a C458, they have probably had it for about 18 months, it keeps tripping ie it will boot up to the copy screen and then something in the machine goes click and the machine start the boot up process all over again with the fins.

I have changed the power lead and plugged it into a different socket to rule that out, I have disconnected the fusing unit and doc feed to try and isolate the problem, but even though it pulls up an error code which you would expect with the fusing unplugged all the doors open it is still tripping.

Has anybody had this and would like to give me a tip as where to start looking?

thanks for any help.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    C458 tripping

Re: C458 tripping

there was a bulletin about the extra memory (UK-xxx) being recalled, dont remember if that model applies.
    pop out the 2nd chip and see if issue remains.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    C458 tripping

You don't say how long it takes to reach this reboot condition. If the machine boots up to a "Warming Up" Copy screen, then reboots (~4 minutes). If it only takes 5 or 10 seconds (two pillars) you may have a HDD grounding issue that corrupts the HDD driver software.

There is a bulletin on this. There is a special Recovery Firmware to reload the HDD driver software. If you can manage to get into service mode, you'll see that the HDD firmware level is blank (that's a bad thing). First re-seat all the connectors on the HDD and MFP board. Reform the HDD ground for a better connection (you'll find that it's a very wimpy connection, some techs make a wired connection). Then load the Recovery Firmware. It may take several tries to get the Recovery Firmware to take (typically not less than 3 tries). You may need to replace the HDD or MFPB. Once you have a working machine then you can update to the most current firmware.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Thanks it reboots after about 5 sceonds i will look for the HDD grounding bulletin and see if that does the job back in there tomorrow morning.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

I had a C308 with a similar problem, it was the dual scan pcb for the RADF that was faulty
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Technician

i thought about that but disconected it and it still tripped i think the only thing left is to change the power board, i have unplugged and removed the following all at the sametime and it still trips out.

Lazer unit
    all Devs
    all Drums
    fusing unit
    touch panel
    doc feed
    lazer unit on flat bed
    all fans i can find
    HDD
    all doors open

it now boots up with out making a sound pulls an error code (not supprised) bleeps 3 time then 5-10 seconds later click and shuts down and reboots.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mike4001 View Post
    i thought about that but disconected it and it still tripped i think the only thing left is to change the power board, i have unplugged and removed the following all at the sametime and it still trips out.

Lazer unit
    all Devs
    all Drums
    fusing unit
    touch panel
    doc feed
    lazer unit on flat bed
    all fans i can find
    HDD
    all doors open

it now boots up with out making a sound pulls an error code (not supprised) bleeps 3 time then 5-10 seconds later click and shuts down and reboots.

When you say you've "disconnected it", have you removed it completely....I removed the RADF in tech rep & it still tripped, it was only when I physically removed the pcb, that the m/c worked
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Lazer unit
    all Devs
    all Drums
    fusing unit
    touch panel
    doc feed
    lazer unit on flat bed
    all fans i can find
    HDD
    all doors open

Way you describe it looks like a PRCB to me. I had similar problem but on different model, just keeps rebooting.

In my opinion if PRCB is OK machine would show an error eventually (it won't reboot).
    4 series had problem with SSD (reboot occasionally) but if I remember correctly it didn't click before restart.

Well then its not dead its sick.
    Whatever

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Hi,

I have just been out to look at a customers machine it is a C458, they have probably had it for about 18 months, it keeps tripping ie it will boot up to the copy screen and then something in the machine goes click and the machine start the boot up process all over again with the fins.

I have changed the power lead and plugged it into a different socket to rule that out, I have disconnected the fusing unit and doc feed to try and isolate the problem, but even though it pulls up an error code which you would expect with the fusing unplugged all the doors open it is still tripping.

Has anybody had this and would like to give me a tip as where to start looking?

thanks for any help.
    In my experience when they're stuck in an endless reboot it has been the memory or mfp controller. Reseating the memory sometimes works. Usually wind up replacing the mfp controller.