Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

C450 refreshing the transfer belt

I like to refresh the transfer belt of my C450 as there are some ugly scratches and cleaning with IPA doesn't help in this case.

Could somebody explain me what to do exactly, as I do not understand the service manual completely. Of course I got no "Safety Switch Holding Jig" :-( But I also do not know what "turn ON the Left Door Switch" means exaclty and "wait to finish predrive" like I am adviced from the copier in the "Transfer Belt Refresh mode" of the service mode.

Am I right that the jig is just for switching on and keeping the switch inside in this position? Trying to use something selfmade jig similar to that jig picture at page 35 (4.1 CE tool list) of the field service manual doesn't work so far. The switch sounds like it is switched on simply when I put my "selfmade jig" inside. Or do I need to turn it around and switch something else on? Anyways nothing is happening. There is no "predrive" happening (whatever that means) and the Start button stays orange and does not get green, ...

So could you please tell me how exactly that switch works, and what I need to do to switch it on.
    Subsequently the belt should move, and when it is finished, I should be able to move the Refresh Pad up against the Transfer Belt just by loosening that one screw, right?

Thanks!
    Last edited by AVW; 11-25-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

Re: C450 refreshing the transfer belt

you cant polish the streaks out on the belt. best you can do is clean it if it has something on it. its surface is too thin to buff. so you will need to relace it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Of course I have to replace the transfer belt. But in the meantime IŽd like to see if "refreshing" changes anything. Also IŽd like to become able to do that refreshing for future issues.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I don't blame you trying to keep the belt you have, they are very expensive. Unfortunately no way to refresh. Like wox said you can clean residue, etc with alcohol, which you did. So only thing left is replace transfer belt. Maybe get it for less $ on ebay. Good luck

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

OK guys, thats not very helpful. I try to understand how to exactly "refresh" the belt, and you tell me just it doesnŽt make sense and will not work. You may be right, and I know I have to get a new belt soon (what nevertheless needs 2 to 3 weeks to order it, without service contract), but the option for "refreshing the belt" is described in the manual so it should do anything. I would at least like to try it, and like to understand how that switch works. So please tell me how to do it, and not that it makes no sense

Don't think you are going to get the answer you are looking for here, because there are NO answers for a bad transfer belt! You have received good advice. The belt has to be replaced!

Attached is procedure to refresh belt. never worked for me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks Copyman for the pages from the service manual. Of course I had them before, and I tried a lot to follow these pages. As I said in my initial posting I do not understand how the switch should work, but I would like to. And I am sorry, but no, it is not a good advice. I did not ask "what to do with my belt", I asked "how should the described refreshing work". So it is simply not an answer to my question. Perhaps it is as english is (obviously) not my first language, ... but I really would like to understand the described procedure, even if it doesnŽt improve the situation of my belt.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Every body is absolutely right.
    In KM machines you cannot bring the bad ITB to acceptable working condition by cleaning with IPA or other things. If the belt is polished with some cleaning solution, it does not help at all . on the contrary it prominently lifts up defects .Its so thin OR made accordingly it just needed to replaced ( most in other brands say Xerox it can be cleaned or polished with some cleaning solutions helps, but not in case of KM.) Its too bad. Refreshing is only charging Belt xerographically, but not to remove defects
    Just replace there is no other better solution.
    Hope this helps

You have received good advice here sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear. Time to replace the belt. No way around it. Case closed!

Best of luck.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

No, nothing is closed. You simply didnŽt answer my questions. You adviced me to replace the belt, and as I told several times, I expect that you are right. I know that I need to replace the belt. Nevertheless, I like to understand the service manual, and aked about the switch and the sentences that I do not understand, not about any advice if I shall replace my belt or hope that the refreshing makes sense at all. Even if it will not do anything to my belt I like to understand the manual and be able to do that "refreshing".

I still like to understand the switch and how it workes. So if anybody can tell me how to proceed such a ITB refreshing (with more details than in the service manual), especially how that switch works and what that "predrive" should be, please do so.