Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Very strange... Bizhub 423 tray 1 jams, shows paper size error.

We've rebuilt tray1 feed assy with tires, 1-way clutches, new feed clutch, replaced the whole feed assy., the registration/transfer clutch, the whole regist./ transfer unit, the tray 1 size switch assy., the fuser, and the tray 1 itself. It still pops up this screen. However, it works fine feeding letter size Short Edge First. Trays 2 & 3 are fine. Latest FW installed - G00-D2. Seen it go 40 pages sometimes, but usually jams after second page. 1 page 1/2 way under the registration roller, 1 page lead edge at exit roller. See screenshot.
    Bizhub 423 paper size screenshot.jpg
    Last edited by Don N.; 12-06-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: add pic

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Very strange... Bizhub 423 tray 1 jams, shows paper size error.

Quote Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
    We've rebuilt tray1 feed assy with tires, 1-way clutches, new feed clutch, replaced the whole feed assy., the registration/transfer clutch, the whole transfer unit, the tray 1 size switch assy., the fuser, and the tray 1 itself. It still pops up this screen. However, it works fine feeding letter size Short Edge First. Trays 2 & 3 are fine. Latest FW installed - G00-D2. Seen it go 40 pages sometimes, but usually jams after second page. 1 page 1/2 way under the registration. roller, 1 page lead edge at exit roller. See screenshot.
    sounds like the registration sensor is failing or dirty.. you mentioned the clutch ..but not the sensor?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The regist. sensor was replaced as part of the entire transfer guide plate & reg. roller ass'y. from a good machine with only 9k pages on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I'm wondering if there is a setting I'm missing for tray paper size? I've checked the service mode. I just recalled some setting about inch/metric. Going to check for that now... But this only happens on tray 1 and only when feeding Long Edge First. Trays 2 & 3 are happy.

I'm wondering if there is a setting I'm missing for tray paper size? I've checked the service mode. I just recalled some setting about inch/metric. Going to check for that now... But this only happens on tray 1 and only when feeding Long Edge First. Trays 2 & 3 are happy.
    could that tray have a pre-set function? like FAX?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    could that tray have a pre-set function? like FAX?
    Thanks for replying. The "print reports" tray is always tray 1 by default. If I recall, there is a designation available for trays by soft switch, but I don't think assigning a tray to fax or special use would cause a jam and/or size error.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

We've rebuilt tray1 feed assy with tires, 1-way clutches, new feed clutch, replaced the whole feed assy., the registration/transfer clutch, the whole regist./ transfer unit, the tray 1 size switch assy., the fuser, and the tray 1 itself. It still pops up this screen. However, it works fine feeding letter size Short Edge First. Trays 2 & 3 are fine. Latest FW installed - G00-D2. Seen it go 40 pages sometimes, but usually jams after second page. 1 page 1/2 way under the registration roller, 1 page lead edge at exit roller. See screenshot.
    Bizhub 423 paper size screenshot.jpg
    Is paper size for tray 1 correctly detected?
    There are 2 photointerupters behind the tray which detect paper height.
    What if one of them stops working in a moment when you got a message? I suppose that's your problem.
    Test is simple: remove assy with 2 sensors for tray 1&2 and swith positions. Now tray1 shoud work properly and tray2 should error out.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for replying. The "print reports" tray is always tray 1 by default. If I recall, there is a designation available for trays by soft switch, but I don't think assigning a tray to fax or special use would cause a jam and/or size error.
    well in most setups .. FAX is SEF... what is the paper orientation in the tray if LEF yes that would cause a jam once paper size/type is picked up by the machine

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Resis- We swapped t1, t2 size switch ass'ys. Problem stayed on tray 1.

Phil B- I'll check into the tray being designated as fax. Do you agree that's a soft switch? I have noticed that any tray running SEF prints out the faxes on a 4 tray customer's 283 we have. Never tried making all of their trays LEF... I just assumed since that don't have a sorter the customer likes their faxes to stick out vs. prints or copies.
    That still begs the question why we've gotten upwards of 50 pages out, then back to back not more than 2. That sounds like a clutch, but they all have been replaced.
    I'll report my results.

That still begs the question why we've gotten upwards of 50 pages out, then back to back not more than 2. That sounds like a clutch, but they all have been replaced.
    I'll report my results.
    frankly it sounds more like a sensor .. a mech clutch once it starts failing never comes back to life.. in my 30 years I have never seen it happen.