Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Biz C224 toner spots

Biz C224 toner spots

Never saw this one before. Machine has 70k total pages, mostly B&W.

When I got to customer's office magenta toner on pages (see attached). As I ran it yellow and cyan toner spots started to appeared but magenta shows the most. Pulled transfer belt out and spots of all colors was on belt. What is weird is blotches of toner was on the top side of belt, almost like toner was dropping from above. But if you know the machine there is nothing above but a metal plate. The belt cleaned fine turning by hand so blade is cleaning the belt. Like I said very low clicks on this machine.

I had a drum with me and swapped that with the magenta and didn't change. Toner levels all in the 6's except magenta which was 7.5%. I ran some mag halftones and to lower and still toner on pages. Ended up changing background voltages to -5 and it worked! Print looked great! Figured I would leave it like that so customer could use it and would investigate and go back. Well lasted about a day and customer called back and said same thing happening.

Anyone ever see this or have some ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Biz C224 toner spots

Have you checked dev units; excessive toner on magnet roller maybe? Are IDC sensors clean?
    If everything is normal, try with HV board.
    What are the values of Vg and Vb in State confirmation --> Table number?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts afterhours's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post

When I got to customer's office magenta toner on pages (see attached). As I ran it yellow and cyan toner spots started to appeared but magenta shows the most. Pulled transfer belt out and spots of all colors was on belt. What is weird is blotches of toner was on the top side of belt, almost like toner was dropping from above. But if you know the machine there is nothing above but a metal plate. The belt cleaned fine turning by hand so blade is cleaning the belt. Like I said very low clicks on this machine.

I had a drum with me and swapped that with the magenta and didn't change. Toner levels all in the 6's except magenta which was 7.5%. I ran some mag halftones and to lower and still toner on pages. Ended up changing background voltages to -5 and it worked! Print looked great! Figured I would leave it like that so customer could use it and would investigate and go back. Well lasted about a day and customer called back and said same thing happening.

Thanks in advance
    I have seen this with bad/ non oem/ wrong toner.

The best bet is to run all the toner out of the machine and then put new oem toner in it. If this doesnt help, youll have to replace all developer units.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts afterhours's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post

Thanks in advance
    Im assuming you didnt see this on the drums.

I have seen this with bad/ non oem/ wrong toner.

The best bet is to run all the toner out of the machine and then put new oem toner in it. If this doesnt help, youll have to replace all developer units.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Biz C224 toner spots

Re: Biz C224 toner spots UPDATE

Wanted to update. Even though print quality was fine I went ahead and replaced the HVPS, transfer belt and updated F/W. Cleaned IDC sensors, etc.

I hate intermittent issues. Would rather machine doing it all the time and when you fix it you know it's fixed!

All state confirmation voltages were within spec. Toner is genuine.

2 days later they called back and said it was leaving magenta toner spots on page again.

Only thing I can think to do at this point is replace magenta developer unit and put in a new toner. Can the developer units be swapped from one machine to another? I have a low meter machine in my shop I would like to take dev unit from since they cost over $500!

Any other ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

May be loose connection OR faulty PH OR PH Board.
    I have seen this twice in case of C360
    Hope this helps.