Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

bizhub c203 e4553 need advice from experts

Not one of the brands we work on, but have to look at it anyway. Originally the problem started as an e4553, yellow laser malfunction. I replaced the laser, turned it back on, and it still had the code. Is there a reset I do? I couldn't find one in the manual so far. Besides this, I cycled the power to see if it would change, and from there it would refuse to boot up.
    I noticed the KM logo would come up on the screen right away if it did initialize. Mostly though, an hourglass would show on the screen right away,hang there and not boot. A couple times it would stay black.
    I put in another hard drive, and no change. I have a system board,print relay board and another laser to try when I tackle it next. I wonder from those who have had to deal with these, is there any other procedures or parts I may require? Whys and wherefores ?
    I appreciate any light that can be shed by those who know more then me.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: bizhub c203 e4553 need advice from experts

Was the laser new? If not it may be bad as well. Whenever I've replaced them it reset code when turned on. Did you try a trouble reset for the heck of it?

Used to get a lot of laser calls during the colder months when these models were poplar. K/M came out with a F/W upgrade for "cold laser start"

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

It's true, it is a used laser. I don't have access to any others. I'll see if I can find the trouble reset. Maybe it will clear after sitting in the machine for a while. Would a laser problem cause it
    to hang booting up? I'm not sure what to try besides the system board if it won't initialize. I also don't have a way to get firmware.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    In germany it was a great story with faulty laser-units. The cause were faulty sos-sensors. The only way they worked correctly, was to change the whole ph-kit (all 4 lasers). Have tried to change only the defective one mostly failed.
    Greetings...

Don't think the laser will cause it to hang on boot up. I think you need to try firmware first to get it to boot up. You need to get it to boot up first before replacing the laser again.

I have always replaced lasers one at a time with used ones and never had a problem. Did maybe 30 of them.

For firmware you will need a 128mb Compact Flash card "UN-formatted" and the Kon/Min toolkit utility to write the F/W to card.
    Last edited by copyman; 01-11-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmw View Post
    Not one of the brands we work on, but have to look at it anyway. Originally the problem started as an e4553, yellow laser malfunction. I replaced the laser, turned it back on, and it still had the code. Is there a reset I do? I couldn't find one in the manual so far. Besides this, I cycled the power to see if it would change, and from there it would refuse to boot up.
    I noticed the KM logo would come up on the screen right away if it did initialize. Mostly though, an hourglass would show on the screen right away,hang there and not boot. A couple times it would stay black.
    I put in another hard drive, and no change. I have a system board,print relay board and another laser to try when I tackle it next. I wonder from those who have had to deal with these, is there any other procedures or parts I may require? Whys and wherefores ?
    I appreciate any light that can be shed by those who know more then me.
    This is a class B error, so simply opening and closing the front door while the machine is on should clear the error. If that doesn't work then either the printhead you installed is also defective or you have a board or firmware issue.
    Try swapping the yellow printhead with another and see if the error follows the printhead. If it follows you will get a C-4551/2/4 error depending on which one you swap.

I have always replaced lasers one at a time with used ones and never had a problem.
    Same here. I'm an Indy, no money for a whole set of 4 new lasers. Used worked always for me.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Technician

However, I would try to do a throuble reset to the machine after installing the new laser