Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

Brand new C308 blurry copies

I was setting up a new C308 in the office today. I initially turned it on and could only hear fans and such engage, no panel illumination etc. This ended up being the machine not liking the additional RAM that ships separate from the machine (don't know why it doesn't already come installed on the machine at this point). Anyway, I reinstalled the RAM and machine went to ready. I only mention the RAM issue incase this helps any of you guys with my bigger issue.

After setting up the machine as per the manual, I usually take my printed Management Lists and use these originals as test copies to test paper passage and finisher operation. The machine functioned fine; however I noticed that the copies looked blurry. When I would do 2 sided to 2 sided through the DF-704, the front side would have a few blurry spots around the text but the second side would have this plus it was also picking up the image from the front side and ghosting it on the second side. I was able to adjust the scanner light adjustment up to 3 for RGB and this would eliminate the blur on single sided documents. However, as soon as I ran 2 sided the issue was much worse on the second side.

Prints are fine, so I can pretty much eliminate that.

Scans look ok.

I've attached sample images of what it's doing. Perhaps you guys have seen this issue before.

The issue is most pronounced when making 2 sided to 2 sided copies. Most signs point to the DF-704; however, I still see some remnants of the issue off the glass. MFPB board?

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Brand new C308 blurry copies

What's the weight of the paper?
    Have tried printing it on 90 GSM and tried the Copy after?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Technician

Whit a print from pc the error persist?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by furius View Post
    Whit a print from pc the error persist?
    It's described in the request that printing is fine.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

The paper that I am using in my test is the same paper we've always used. I did try a different ream from the same box and it made no difference. I will say that the primary issue (opposite side image bleed through) will go away when making 2 sided copies of high quality paper. Since this is not what most people use on a daily basis, I don't see this as being a solution to the problem.

As a test, I would love to be able to try a different doc feed; however, I only have DF-701's available. They look very similar to the DF-704, but I doubt they are interchangeable.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post

Prints are fine, so I can pretty much eliminate that.

Scans look ok.
    You mean scans (and copies) from original glass (without ADF) are fine.

If that's correct then either paper is too thin or light intensity of two scanners are too high because ghost image on the second side is exactly the image from the first side like light goes through paper.

If you are dealing with thin paper, I think there's an option for that in b) No of originals menu. Otherwise try with lower image density and/or background removal in basic menu.

Hi,

If its only from DF and Glass that would point to CCD in my opinion.

Theres 2 metal clamps that hold the CCD in place and they really push down on the CCD, causing a distorted image problem, to be honest on the one I had the sample copies looked a bit different to yours but they where in colour, but its worth a try...

Can you try removing and re-seating the CCD? (dont touch painted screws), even as a test just put the metal clamps back on very loosely, and also remove the metal cover around the CCD as a test, as this can also distort the frame where the CCD sits on.

Good luck!

I would agree that this is a CCD issue; however, this is a DF-704 dual scan doc feed and it's the second side that has the issue. This would point more to the CIS located in the doc feed. I don't know how to adjust the light intensity of the CIS module. If I could, I think I would be able to overcome this issue. There is a scanner light adjustment setting, but I don't think this changes the intensity of the CIS.

5.21.9 Scanning Light Adjustment

(1) Use

• To adjust the scanning light of DF.

• Used for adjusting the difference in the scanning lights between scanning from the original glass and scanning from the DF original glass.

(2) Procedure

Call the Service Mode to the screen.

Touch [ADF] -> [Scanning Light Adjustment].

Select a color by pressing [Red], [Green], or [Blue].

Press the value using the [+] / [-] key.

NOTE

• It is recommended that the scanning light adjustment should be made by the same steps for all the three colors of red,

green, and blue.

Touch [END].

Touch [Exit] on the Service Mode screen.

Turn OFF the main power switch, wait for 10 sec., then turn the switch ON.

(3) Setting range

• -4 to +4 (Step: 1)

I just wanted to update everyone on the status of this machine. After replacing the main board, the entire doc feed, checking voltages to related boards and replacing the CCD, Konica is finally sending us a different machine. In my 14 years of doing this, I've never had a machine act like this right out of the box. With all the pieces that come together to make these machines, it's amazing that things like this don't happen more often.