Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Konica C284 (badged Olivetti MF282) smudge on top of A4 prints

Hi all

I have an Olivetti MF282 (Konica C284) which is producing a smudge at the top of A4 prints...It's not always black, sometimes cyan.

I have replaced all 4 drums last week and the ITB cleaning blade (compatible one) however the fault has returned. The whole ITB was replaced 46k ago...

Example pic below.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

MF282.jpgMF282-c.jpgMF282-b.jpg

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Konica C284 (badged Olivetti MF282) smudge on top of A4 prints

Was the trans belt new and genuine K/M? Can't imagine needing the cleaning blade after only 46k. Did line go away after replacing blade?

How many pages on the developer units? Were the drums new and genuine K/M? Might be the black DV unit is starting to dump because of one of the consumables being over life. It doesn't always have to be the developer unit dumping that is bad. If any of the consumables, drums , belt or dv units are over life it can cause ANY of the other DV units to dump. The spots on the one sample you posted looks like when developer is being pulled out of unit.

Found this to happen if there is some corrosion and buildup on the charge grid of the K drum on low volume prints. The blade you replaced probably got warn out by the bad belt surface. If you have changed the drums then its should only need a ITBU.

Check with a magnet to see if there is any developer in the belt cleaning section. If there is then there is probably still some issue.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Found this to happen if there is some corrosion and buildup on the charge grid of the K drum on low volume prints. The blade you replaced probably got warn out by the bad belt surface. If you have changed the drums then its should only need a ITBU.

Check with a magnet to see if there is any developer in the belt cleaning section. If there is then there is probably still some issue.
    Thanks for the info, will check with a magnet when I go back Monday

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Change K drum (if it is contaminated) and K Dev ( bet it lost 30-40% carrier on mag roller)and change for sure with OEM ITB.

If you have it on +5 background then put it back to 0.
    Since you have all new drums do Initialise and Background reset, the stabilise and gradation as per usual.

I've noticed that when cheap paper is in use no matter what you do the drums won't last as much. I have seen machines doing 600k on the first ITB and still usable. And saw few where cheap paper was in use and you could see the sheet powder in Devs, ITB and Drums and you were lucky to get 150k out of drums or reach the life of ITB.

Check your setup of TCR levels, not just the readings.

Just out of curiosity, how many of those blades have you changed and how long does it take to replace the belt ,(not the whole unit of course)?
    Must be some time consuming experience.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Was the trans belt new and genuine K/M? Can't imagine needing the cleaning blade after only 46k. Did line go away after replacing blade?

How many pages on the developer units? Were the drums new and genuine K/M? Might be the black DV unit is starting to dump because of one of the consumables being over life. It doesn't always have to be the developer unit dumping that is bad. If any of the consumables, drums , belt or dv units are over life it can cause ANY of the other DV units to dump. The spots on the one sample you posted looks like when developer is being pulled out of unit.
    Hi, thanks for your info

The ITB was genuine Konica (didn't know you could get comps).... The smudge did go away but saying that it was very faint coming and going.

Not too sure on the dev life but the machine has done 487K (251k on colour, 236k on black).

The drums were genuine KM black with CYM chips for the colour drums.

The spots have cleared up after replacing the drums, but the smudge line has reappeared.

I have been advised by a tech that the secondary transfer bias could be pulling the excess toner off the belt and may need adjusting?

TBH, the belt looks fairly worn to the edge where the fault is...........

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Like I said check the black developer unit. Agree with what the other poster said probably a lot of black developer is gone. Have you removed the black DV unit and looked at the dev on mag roller? If some has leaked it might be wearing that side of belt causing those splotches of developer on side.

To answer the other posters question, aftermarket trans belt & blade are available and takes 15 mins to replace belt & blade. I have used a few so far with no problems. I wouldn't use it on a machine with your problem.
    Last edited by copyman; 01-18-2018 at 10:55 PM.