Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ru-513

Senior Tech 100+ Posts KMFLT3CH's Avatar

Re: Ru-513

Here's the info I have on it.

Follow the official bulletin and also the other document has you put a felt pad where the upper cover rests when closed. Do both. Someone told me the metal washers by the hinge was an old fix, I'm not sure if it has to be done or not. I just did one today (8 plastic washers on plate + the felt pad) so we shall see how it works.

I don't see how the washers do anything though.

11384.pdf
    RU-513 Field mod.pdf

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KMFLT3CH View Post

Exactly my thought when we got the bulletin a few weeks ago. I don't see how this "fix" will actually do anything to remedy the jamming issue. Doesn't make sense to me.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have only dealt with this once, so my sample size is small, but I did not have any success with the washer mod outline in the bulletin. We received a new c458 and a new c558 with finishers/ru/etc a few weeks ago. Started getting this jam code right out of the box. After anywhere from 75-300 continuous pages, each machine would start to jam at RU513 entrance. Despite my RU's supposedly being in the "fixed" serial number range, I ordered the FOC washer kit. No improvement. Tried modifying the RU entrance so it had a wider entrance with moderate success, but still not good enough that I felt comfortable delivering to our customer. I put thousands and thousands of pages through these machines trying to get those goddamn RU513's to work reliably. In the end, I gave up. I dusted off two "old style" RU513's from my graveyard. I had ZERO problems after installing the "old" RU's, even though they were dirty and scratched up.

Rumor is that the manufacturer changed the composition of the plastic, leading to excessive warping of the entrance guides.

Somewhat related, it kinda seems like the newer 8 series runs "hot" around the fusing unit. Not sure if it is an issue with the ducting, the "quiet" fans, or just poor design, but it seems like the 8's get hotter in that area than the 4's.

Quote Originally Posted by KMFLT3CH View Post
    Here's the info I have on it.

Follow the official bulletin and also the other document has you put a felt pad where the upper cover rests when closed. Do both. Someone told me the metal washers by the hinge was an old fix, I'm not sure if it has to be done or not. I just did one today (8 plastic washers on plate + the felt pad) so we shall see how it works.

11384.pdf
    RU-513 Field mod.pdf
    Thanks!

We are also having the same problems as above.We noticed that when we run it from tray one in service mode its ok,but when we run it from the PC-415 it jams all the time

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ru-513

Quote Originally Posted by howard1234 View Post
    We are also having the same problems as above.We noticed that when we run it from tray one in service mode its ok,but when we run it from the PC-415 it jams all the time
    A Brand new ru513 isn't the same as from the older series this I can confirm, especially at the entrance side, it bows due to heat, I applied 4 1/16 in approx washers on the 4 corners of the metal plate at the bottom of the unit under the plate. Then screwed it all down, pulls the middle away to counter the bowing. Haven't heard back from it yet. Piss poor design imho.

RegardsA.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Their's a Bulletin on the Konica Web site!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts B0265's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antone View Post
    Their's a Bulletin on the Konica Web site!
    Does this bulletin give any new information?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I'm not seeing any new bulletin related to this, can you provide the document ID#?

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

the injection mould was screwed up at the area of the metal reinforcement plate at the bottom side of the entrance.

the 2 middle posts are supposed to be flush with the reinforcement ribbing and not protruding to the same height as the outer 4.

The newly installed reinforcement plate (not used on early versions) has only holes for the screw threads for the centre 2 and not for the posts like the outer 4. It results in the entrance being bowed in at the middle and paper jamming around 100 pages onwards. The issues been known about for a couple months now.

They made a replacement plate available for affected units or you can simply drill out the centre holes in the plate yourself (for the posts to come through the middle 2 holes like the outers). The fix is a 100% success.

Just look at the entrance of an RU out of the box, the entrance upper and lower should be parallel, not bowed in. Its only a certain batch and has since been fixed.