Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customers???

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Customers???

I am going on a rant about my first two service calls that I had today.

First cal the call says that they cant make a copy on the machine, a C308, with out choosing the paper size. I go there and I ask the customer to make a copy. She gets up and puts a paper in the doc feeder and look at the panel, and before I can say STOP, she presses the start button and it comes up and says the paper is not available. She said see that is what it was doing. Well she put the paper in the doc feeder and the paper size that it thought was in there was A4!!! I to;d her that she needed to put the guides tight on the paper. She says, we have never done that. Can there be any way that we can stop this? I said no. What is so hard about making sure that the guides are tight on the paper? That is the first thing that I do when I put the paper in, after 28 years of doing this, that is the first thing that I do when I make copies!!!

Number 2 is the call said that the color on the C224e was off. I said okay. They showed me a sample of before and after and it was really dark. So I ran the demo print page, the on with all the colors and the quick brown fox thing. And it was the worst print that I have seen. The cyan star was black! So I was going to reset ans stabilize, so I did that and then while I was in the service mode I ran a cyan halftone at 150. I was black!! So I looked at the toner and I pulled out the toner that was in the cyan spot. Well it was a black toner! I thought that the toner cartridges were keyed and could not be switched like that! So I put in the cyan toner and ran about 150 cyan halftones at 255 and the cyan color did come back! I was shocked. Thought that I would have to replace the developer. It was only 25% used.

Just don't know about customers anymore?

Thanks
    KEN

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Customers???

Re: Customers???

Yeah, I had a Kyocera KM-C4035E customer do that. They were out magenta toner and needed copies, so they just jammed a cyan toner cartridge in there.

Yes, I know it's keyed and not supposed to fit, but I suppose that depends on how motivated your enduser is. The copies were a bit ... PURPLE, as you may surmise.

This is the first time I tried this:
    I installed the right toner, then made up a 100% fill magenta electronic original, and cranked a quick 75 prints through it. The color came back quite nicely. After all, the developer isn't really out of balance, it's just got some toner of the wrong color. Use that toner up and it comes right back to the right color.

I can't imaging how the customer thought that would be a good idea. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

As I always say, every company has someone that is named NOBODY!!! Because NOBODY does it!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Hey kenpio, just use some packing tape on those adf side guides. That should eliminate those pesky "we NEVER ever had to do THAT before!"

It's all an a days pay. without crappy days, we wouldn't have great days.you'll think back on this and laugh.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Customers???

That cyan is certainly super dark when inside the bottle.

No keying feature is scary !!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Customers???

Quote Originally Posted by kenpio View Post
    I am going on a rant about my first two service calls that I had today.

First cal the call says that they cant make a copy on the machine, a C308, with out choosing the paper size. I go there and I ask the customer to make a copy. She gets up and puts a paper in the doc feeder and look at the panel, and before I can say STOP, she presses the start button and it comes up and says the paper is not available. She said see that is what it was doing. Well she put the paper in the doc feeder and the paper size that it thought was in there was A4!!! I to;d her that she needed to put the guides tight on the paper. She says, we have never done that. Can there be any way that we can stop this? I said no. What is so hard about making sure that the guides are tight on the paper? That is the first thing that I do when I put the paper in, after 28 years of doing this, that is the first thing that I do when I make copies!!!

Number 2 is the call said that the color on the C224e was off. I said okay. They showed me a sample of before and after and it was really dark. So I ran the demo print page, the on with all the colors and the quick brown fox thing. And it was the worst print that I have seen. The cyan star was black! So I was going to reset ans stabilize, so I did that and then while I was in the service mode I ran a cyan halftone at 150. I was black!! So I looked at the toner and I pulled out the toner that was in the cyan spot. Well it was a black toner! I thought that the toner cartridges were keyed and could not be switched like that! So I put in the cyan toner and ran about 150 cyan halftones at 255 and the cyan color did come back! I was shocked. Thought that I would have to replace the developer. It was only 25% used.

Just don't know about customers anymore?

Thanks
    KEN
    next time post this in Rants n Raves

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Also had someone put a black toner in the cyan position before, I just sat there running solid cyan 255 pages till it was fixed. End user stupidity is a great way to make money, all these calls should be being charged.

Also had the guides one a million times in ADF and trays and people logging calls for crooked prints. Ummm no sh*t genius, are people getting dumber by the day ?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Customers???

problem is a lot of customers have high turn over rates with staff. so you could do a in depth training session at install but in 12 months you may find an entire different bunch of users.

thats why i try to assign a key operator. one thats unlikely to leave the company (so never a sales person lol). that way any new staff can ask them. that is unless they dont mind the boss bitching to them over the call out and labour fee they just got billed because user was to lazy to ask around the office 1st

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Customers???

I somewhat shifted gears in employment and until recently, was working in a small office for the past year.

One day after a jam-spree (on a slowwwww ass Ricoh model I never touched before), I explained to everyone why it is a good idea to fan the ream before just plopping it in the machine and how simply tap the side guides to ensure the paper was loaded right, etc. I swear the way they would load a tray was violent. I also showed them the way to open a ream by holding the ream on one end with both hands and smacking it on a desk then rip the wrapper off. And other stuff. Funny thing is they all thanked me but never once did what I said.

Moreover, their general lack of common sense when operating the machine was extremely... distracting even boarding on horrifying at times (my desk was right next to only MFP in the office).

Basically, being on the other-side for a while explained so much.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

for what its worth, i have a customer with a Brother MFC 9120 CN and they don't use color. i found a black in the magenta slot. so, in case you need to get one going, other than poor color, it works just fine apparently. .