Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    c654 going through Cyan IU's quick.

I am printing 4 postcards to a 8x11. They have a google street view picture on them. Lots of Green and Blue being printed.

I have a few of these machines and print about 100k each on them a month, I go through a Cyan IU every two weeks. The rest of IUs work fine and go way past original life.

DO I need a press for what I am doing C6000 or above? The quality needs to be good but not blow your socks off. I like to buy my machines and do general service.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

Re: c654 going through Cyan IU's quick.

one reason the cyan could be bad is because you let the blk go too far. sounds weird but it happens. it can happen to other color too. its all to do with the calibration. c6000 might be better for 100k a month.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woxner View Post
    one reason the cyan could be bad is because you let the blk go too far. sounds weird but it happens. it can happen to other color too. its all to do with the calibration. c6000 might be better for 100k a month.

Cyan Toner hopper seem dry, need to cause many stabilization to fill up the hopper when a job is running. Gradiations every day. Yellow past life but all VDc and Vd are within normal limits. So I dont think its that.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

If you are an end user I don't think you will be able to maintain a C6000, etc. as easy? I don't work on them so I don't know. From what other techs say they can be a pain in the butt and they are trained! Like 2 week classes.

Since you are familiar with them I would buy some more low meter C654's and keep running them. This model loves to be run. Fuser never has a chance to squeal

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    If you are an end user I don't think you will be able to maintain a C6000, etc. as easy? I don't work on them so I don't know. From what other techs say they can be a pain in the butt and they are trained! Like 2 week classes.

Since you are familiar with them I would buy some more low meter C654's and keep running them. This model loves to be run. Fuser never has a chance to squeal

I just want to change out drum and developer. Is it really that hard? From memory issues to cyan suck... im over the 654

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

very easy to do

If you mean rebuild the "cyan" image unit with an aftermarket drum & developer then it's not that easy to do. I have tried it and haven't had the best results. The aftermarket drums & blades seem to work ok but the times I tried an aftermarket developer there were issues. The black unit is easy because the OEM drum is sold separately and sits on top of developer unit. The 3 color units have to be taken apart to get to drum, etc. Allow a few hours first time doing it and good to have another one to reference when putting back together.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    If you mean rebuild the "cyan" image unit with an aftermarket drum & developer then it's not that easy to do. I have tried it and haven't had the best results. The aftermarket drums & blades seem to work ok but the times I tried an aftermarket developer there were issues. The black unit is easy because the OEM drum is sold separately and sits on top of developer unit. The 3 color units have to be taken apart to get to drum, etc. Allow a few hours first time doing it and good to have another one to reference when putting back together.

No,... replace developer and drums on a C6000 or C6501 easy enough to do? All other I will call a tech for. I imagine the C6000 and alike do not have a gradient process? More technical?

Ok. Good to know.