Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    C6500 install. Fiery and driver cannot locate Printers IP address.

This is a first , Tech cannot come until next week. We took delivery of a bit older machine.

We have 5 printers in total at our shop . Never has there been a challenge getting a printer connected to the server.

I have tried the Universal Driver
    Konica driver
    And the Fiery Software workstation cannot locate the IP

What gives here.... where the heck do I start?

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Re: C6500 install. Fiery and driver cannot locate Printers IP address.

print the config page from the fiery and check the IP address.
    it may just be on a different subnet from the previous owner.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Not knowing your network structure nor hardware set-up you'll have to take what I suggest with a measure of salt as it may or may not have any relevance.
    Also I am not a techy, but I do know your pain, and am the one who is tasked with fixing and maintaining our network and print machines.

At the end of last year we picked up a c6501 to add to our 'fleet' of machines. Upon installation we found that it was not seen on the network, we also had the added complication that the fiery controller was booting up, but not connecting to the machine so we were unable check or change the network settings of the fiery.

So at the risk of 'teaching you to suck eggs' as we say in England...

Check the network settings of the fiery: the default gateway, DNS and IP address - we use fixed/reserved IP's - are all in-line and range as your DHCP server settings.
    BTW our DHCP server is a very simple modem router, and logging into it through a browser these details are readily available - and looking at it's client list the fiery was not there either.
    I say this because we used an IP scanner - software freely available online - which picked up the printer, and showed that it's IP - which had been set by the previous company - was outside the range of our DHCP server, it was something like 192.168.1.xxx rather than our 192.168.0.xxx. Now, not being able to change the network settings of the fiery via the printers interface, the way I connected to it, was by changing our network to accommodate the fiery's IP range. I achieved this by disconnecting all other network connections bar one PC, changed the range of the DHCP server to that of the printer, rebooted the PC to change it's IP to within the new range and was then able to see the Fiery through the internet browser. Command workstation on the same PC would then see the fiery, CWS then told me why the printer could not see the controller....another story. There may well be a better way of achieving this but this is what I did.

Regarding drivers - We downloaded the correct drivers from the EFI Fiery website EFI - Downloads - Support & Downloads
    The specific drivers for these older machines were still readily available a few months ago.

Check that the version of command workstation is compatible with your drivers.
    So for us the latest CWS is not compatible with the older fiery devices, and we have four, off hand I cannot remember which version we use, but again previous versions are readily available through the EFI Fiery website.

As I said a few simple suggestions, if they help great, if not I'm sure a more comprehensive response isn't too far away.

Mark

fierys come with the drivers hosted on its own web page.
    open a browser (once you get the IP address) and select downloads.
    the printer files are there, both drivers and CWS.
    also most importantly, once the driver is installed change the port to LPR and type Print as the queue name.
    so many printing issues solved by using the correct port.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    fierys come with the drivers hosted on its own web page.
    open a browser (once you get the IP address) and select downloads.
    the printer files are there, both drivers and CWS.
    also most importantly, once the driver is installed change the port to LPR and type Print as the queue name.
    so many printing issues solved by using the correct port.

I download the fiery workstation and all components. The Fiery Software is System 8 release 2. I could not find drivers for the specific to that.

No Ip scan can come up with the IP address. I changed the printers IP address to a lower range like the others it identifies and nothing.

Something is preventing the Printer from releasing the IP address?

ok, please PRINT the config page.
    if the IP scheme is different than the local IP, subnet or gateway either fix it on the copier panel or reconfigure one PC to a similar scheme and log on to the fiery web page and select launch configure.
    from there you can manually assign the IP that will work on your network, just dont forget to set the PC back after the fiery reboots to make the changes.
    dont worry about drivers yet, connectivity is more important.
    also the drivers are hosted ON THE FIERY. when you go to the fiery IP in a browser one of the choices is to download the drivers RIGHT FROM THE FIERY.

if a manual address (preferred always) is already on the fiery there is no release. only change to another IP or DHCP (eecchh)

also which fiery? the tower or the one bolted to the back?

also im very fiery fanboy, if i sounded too emphatic with the capital letters and all just know im not trying to be a smartass, i just love the simplicity of fiery and its usefulness.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

ok, please PRINT the config page.
    if the IP scheme is different than the local IP, subnet or gateway either fix it on the copier panel or reconfigure one PC to a similar scheme and log on to the fiery web page and select launch configure.
    from there you can manually assign the IP that will work on your network, just dont forget to set the PC back after the fiery reboots to make the changes.
    dont worry about drivers yet, connectivity is more important.
    also the drivers are hosted ON THE FIERY. when you go to the fiery IP in a browser one of the choices is to download the drivers RIGHT FROM THE FIERY.

if a manual address (preferred always) is already on the fiery there is no release. only change to another IP or DHCP (eecchh)

also which fiery? the tower or the one bolted to the back?

also im very fiery fanboy, if i sounded too emphatic with the capital letters and all just know im not trying to be a smartass, i just love the simplicity of fiery and its usefulness.

I have the config page. NO scanning can locate the IP. I changed the IP ON THE copier, to reflect an IP in range of the others. NOTHING. Bolted on the back... looks like a print controller.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swaggen View Post
    I have the config page. NO scanning can locate the IP. I changed the IP ON THE copier, to reflect an IP in range of the others. NOTHING. Bolted on the back... looks like a print controller.

Im failing to see how this is so simple . I have also located the drivers and fiery for the 6500 and download them.

There must be something very simple,.. and very dumb that I am missing.

copier IP is completely irrelevant, fiery IP is only what you need
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

copier IP is completely irrelevant, fiery IP is only what you need

Ok, I have downloaded all the needed drivers. I know its not needed yet....

But how am I to locate the Fiery IP address? The Fiery IP is not generating an IP yet. I have scanned for all available IPs. They are all accounted for,.. nothing coming from the Fiery or Printer.

The workstation asks for an IP address. That is where I am at now.