Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Scan error with smb protocol on Windows 10

Re: Scan error with smb protocol on Windows 10

KM "4e" series will support SMB 2.0 with a simple firmware update. "4" "non-e" can be brought up to latest through a complicated multi step firmware upgrade, backup procedure. Older machines will not support anything except SMB 1.0

I wouldn't enable SMB 1.0 unless the customer specifically requests it. Then have them sign a disclaimer.

All "8" series support SMB 2.0 out of the box.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by wjurls View Post
    KM "4e" series will support SMB 2.0 with a simple firmware update. "4" "non-e" can be brought up to latest through a complicated multi step firmware upgrade, backup procedure. Older machines will not support anything except SMB 1.0

I wouldn't enable SMB 1.0 unless the customer specifically requests it. Then have them sign a disclaimer.

All "8" series support SMB 2.0 out of the box.
    I have 454e's that are giving me trouble scan to smb what is the firmware need to fix?

Thanks
    Terry

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T_foot2 View Post
    I have 454e's that are giving me trouble scan to smb what is the firmware need to fix?

Thanks
    Terry
    On the "e" series of these machines it is best to just upgrade to the latest firmware and not worry about a specific version.

With that being said there have been a few windows 10 computers that have refused to do SMB no matter what we tried, other than SMB V1 being enabled. With that being said I'm still a firm believer that if ransomware is getting to the PC IT needs a better firewall. Not saying all firewall's will stop ransomware. But if it can be proven that something we did directly results in a company losing money we, or the company we work for, can be sued for loss and damages. These machines have multiple ways of scanning for a reason. One or more should be bale to work with in IT's guidelines. SMB, FTP, HDD of copier, Email. Machine can also do Webdav but I have not had success with it.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Scan error with smb protocol on Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by jotunn View Post
    That's not true... most RansomWare/viruses need "retarded" users interaction to get into the local network - like opening any "invoice" e-mail attachment.
    In normal cases your local network is behind NAT/firewall, so there is no way to use SMB as an attack vector from Internet.
    In some cases SMBv1 can help to spread RansomWare inside your local network - but attack is usually limited to shared folders. SMB is not the main problem, the problem is with sharing whole drive without password at all, with write access to everyone.
    funny you are the ONLY one that seems to feel SMB1 is not a problem ( that is including ALL hardware manufacturers ... MicroSoft ... Cisco et al ) you must be one hellofa tech!