CKL_Tech

Bizhub C203 Pickup Roller / Misfeed Issue

As mentioned above, this C203 is having misfeed issues. I can't seem to determine exactly where the problem lies. The initial issue was misfeeding, but the machine would pick up paper and print. I was able to determine that the rollers (feed, pickup, and separation) needed replacement as I could see material from the rollers in the tray and other areas of the machine which was also causing a minor print quality issue. I removed the feed assembly for trays 1 and 2 and replaced said rollers (per the Konica Minolta Service Manual P. 22 and P. 26). One of the Separation Rollers was in really bad shape and had basically lost about 1/3 of its material. This machine is 10 years old and they have never changed the rollers. Now, the machine does not want to feed any paper from trays 1 and 2.

I've tried reseating the feed assemblies, and the rollers. I've double checked to ensure the rollers are triggered into place by the tray. I can see that the pickup roller does initially turn when trying to grab paper, but it almost immediately registers a misfeed. The guides in the tray are properly positioned, and haven't changed from prior to the replacement. The rollers were all purchased from Precision Roller and are supposedly Genuine Konica Minolta rollers. Spent about 4 hours last night racking my brain and retracing my steps to no avail. Any advice or things to check would be greatly appreciated.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Re: Bizhub C203 Pickup Roller / Misfeed Issue

Remove from feed assemblies again and use some fine emery cloth to scuff up the shafts where the one way bearings ride. Also disassemble the feed clutches and clean the rust out of them. When you re-assemble the clutches be sure not to push the ring tight against the gear.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Remove from feed assemblies again and use some fine emery cloth to scuff up the shafts where the one way bearings ride. Also disassemble the feed clutches and clean the rust out of them. When you re-assemble the clutches be sure not to push the ring tight against the gear.
    Yes as above, this old 3 series use one way bearings, over time they wear the shaft smooth & slip.
    I would do as suggested or simply replace the feed unit.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Ok should be something simple you missed when reassembled.

I have rebuilt 100's of these paper feed units so hopefully can help you. Good advice from the others about the black one way clutches, also clean the pin bearings inside the one way clutches with alcohol. *leave dry, no lube.

Few other things come to mind to check with unit out of machine, check small pins that goes through shaft and into back of gears (gear next to one way clutches) make sure these are in place. Also make sure black plastic arm is "under" metal bracket, when you push this lever the pick up roller should spring down.
    Check mag clutches on end of units and make sure the slots are on studs keeping them in place.

Perhaps post a few pics and we should see what is wrong right away.
    Last edited by copyman; 07-14-2018 at 10:14 PM.

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CKL_Tech View Post
    As mentioned above, this C203 is having misfeed issues. I can't seem to determine exactly where the problem lies. The initial issue was misfeeding, but the machine would pick up paper and print. I was able to determine that the rollers (feed, pickup, and separation) needed replacement as I could see material from the rollers in the tray and other areas of the machine which was also causing a minor print quality issue. I removed the feed assembly for trays 1 and 2 and replaced said rollers (per the Konica Minolta Service Manual P. 22 and P. 26). One of the Separation Rollers was in really bad shape and had basically lost about 1/3 of its material. This machine is 10 years old and they have never changed the rollers. Now, the machine does not want to feed any paper from trays 1 and 2.

I've tried reseating the feed assemblies, and the rollers. I've double checked to ensure the rollers are triggered into place by the tray. I can see that the pickup roller does initially turn when trying to grab paper, but it almost immediately registers a misfeed. The guides in the tray are properly positioned, and haven't changed from prior to the replacement. The rollers were all purchased from Precision Roller and are supposedly Genuine Konica Minolta rollers. Spent about 4 hours last night racking my brain and retracing my steps to no avail. Any advice or things to check would be greatly appreciated.
    When we first started working on the Konica's years ago, we would go out for jamming issues and install new rollers only to get called back a lot for jamming issues. Didn't take very long for us to realize if you don't rough up the shaft under the one-ways with a fine file ...... you always had issues. Roughing up the shafts under the one ways absolutely works wonders.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I agree about scuffing up the shafts (I use brown scotch brite pad) but if a high meter also replace the one ways. I have never seen machine jam "every time" because of not scuffing up the shaft so I don't think that is your problem. First few years these machines were out we were not scuffing up the shafts, just cleaning or replacing the one ways, new rollers and machines worked fine. Since both paper feed units will not feed any paper it only makes sense you missed something when reassembled.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I agree with copyman.
    Though, end users do some mistakes even after reading SM because they are not techs!
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

What jam codes are you getting? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=