Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Konica c284e stuck at boot screen

So this is a real weird problem, hopefully someone has had it before.......

Konica c284e switches on and goes through the shark fins ok and gets the Konica logo in the corner but wont go any further. Strange thing is that there are no motors or fans activated during booting it is totally quiet.

I thought boards or power supply so using another machine I have swapped the boards on the rear (as a set so as to avoid problems) also hard drive, laser assy, power supply and the board at front of the machine behind the waste bottle.
    It has also had a replacement fuser.

All boards/units removed were put in other machine and worked fine. Firmware has also been upgraded.

I feel that I am missing something obvious but at the moment I haven't got a clue.....

Inspiration anyone???

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Re: Konica c284e stuck at boot screen

SSD board.
    hope you are working for a dealer, its special procedure ordering.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Agree that it is the SSD/NVRAM. Do not use a used NVRAM on this series. You will have two screwed up machines. It must be replaced with a brand new one from Konicaminolta. Dealer only item. Tech support must be called first, you must have a valid tech ID and be certified by Konicaminolta on this machine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I'm concerned that your approach might have been a little heavy-handed. There are a few things to try before you take the "shotgun approach", i.e. "changing all the boards". Not sure if you were using hyperbole, but that is just not going to work on this series of machines. Generally a bad idea to replace all the boards at once, especially with the 4-series and newer. Personally, I would reinstall all the original parts before continuing. I'm assuming that you aren't a Konica tech, due to your approach to this issue. For instance, having the SSD version number, and firmware level, would be relevant to this situation.

I will say... I dealt with a similar problem on a C364e last year. Machine stuck during boot, though it was at the "2 pillars" stage. Couldn't boot into service mode, so couldn't perform board backups/data transfer. SSD was at 6.01, but would code out (error 3320) when attempting to update. SSD tool did not work. Machine would not load MFP firmware (of any version). Tried removing all options, unplugging everything one by one, replacing DCPU, SSD, MFPB, and on and on and on. Everyone, including Konica, was stumped.

There is a long, long and twisted service history on this machine, enough to fill several posts. It was eventually recommended that I change the PWB-MCL board. However, this board is impossible to replace without having data backed up in service mode. Turns out, Konica has a magical device that is able to program a *new/unused* PWB-MCL with the relevant data to a particular Serial Number/Machine. There is (rumored) to be only one of these devices in North America and another in Japan. The North American team had to have the required files prepared by a team in Japan, then sent to the US, programmed into the new "donor" board, then shipped to me.

It didn't help.

The machine got scrapped the next month.

Thought it was an interesting story, though.

If you are interested, I can go through my notes/emails/SSD ticket related to this issue.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Konicaminolta NVRAM Troubleshooting guide

Dropbox - NVRAM_Final_1-16-13.pdf

Technician

Thanks for the info, I actually changed the SSD board as the first option with a brand new one from Konica, it didn’t make a difference, but will double check everything again.

Quote Originally Posted by 907tec View Post
    I'm concerned that your approach might have been a little heavy-handed. There are a few things to try before you take the "shotgun approach", i.e. "changing all the boards". Not sure if you were using hyperbole, but that is just not going to work on this series of machines. Generally a bad idea to replace all the boards at once, especially with the 4-series and newer. Personally, I would reinstall all the original parts before continuing. I'm assuming that you aren't a Konica tech, due to your approach to this issue. For instance, having the SSD version number, and firmware level, would be relevant to this situation.

I will say... I dealt with a similar problem on a C364e last year. Machine stuck during boot, though it was at the "2 pillars" stage. Couldn't boot into service mode, so couldn't perform board backups/data transfer. SSD was at 6.01, but would code out (error 3320) when attempting to update. SSD tool did not work. Machine would not load MFP firmware (of any version). Tried removing all options, unplugging everything one by one, replacing DCPU, SSD, MFPB, and on and on and on. Everyone, including Konica, was stumped.

There is a long, long and twisted service history on this machine, enough to fill several posts. It was eventually recommended that I change the PWB-MCL board. However, this board is impossible to replace without having data backed up in service mode. Turns out, Konica has a magical device that is able to program a *new/unused* PWB-MCL with the relevant data to a particular Serial Number/Machine. There is (rumored) to be only one of these devices in North America and another in Japan. The North American team had to have the required files prepared by a team in Japan, then sent to the US, programmed into the new "donor" board, then shipped to me.

It didn't help.

The machine got scrapped the next month.

Thought it was an interesting story, though.

If you are interested, I can go through my notes/emails/SSD ticket related to this issue.

Technician

I sure hope you tried new firmware first?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingrepairguy View Post
    I sure hope you tried new firmware first?
    I thought the same, latest firmware should be the first step much quicker than replacing all boards!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

Yes latest firmware has been applied. I did that first of all.

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    I thought the same, latest firmware should be the first step much quicker than replacing all boards!

About changing board on these machines, in this case you can swap out one board at a time to test.
    Trick is if that board is not the problem put the boards back where you found them then power up both, then try the next one.
    This includes the SSD.

If you managed to fix the issue put all the boards back where you found them and order the board you need.
    Unless the donor machine is scraped just leave it in there and all should be well.

Would be use full if someone here can expand on the reset tool use.

So you can use used boards.
    Whatever