Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Konica Minolta Low Toner Alert Notification

Re: Konica Minolta Low Toner Alert Notification

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    The most foolish & unprofitable thing a dealer or OEM can do is send customers toners whenever they want. It's tough when contract customer calls with excuses like we always want a set of backups, or toners are showing very low and we are going to run a big job. We had one customers employee selling the toners on ebay!
    we will SELL them a set of toners for backup if they want... but NOT for FREE!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Hey Phil, how can you sell a contract customer toner? If you know they are legit and close to needing toners you wouldn't send them a set. I guess with me being a smaller company I wouldn't want to have to keep sending or delivering them 4 toners at different times. Of course they would have to be 1/4 or less left for me to send them.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

We are a Copystar and Konica Minolta dealer. We use KFS and Command Center RX automated email reporting to keep tabs on the toner levels and overall condition of our Copystar/Kyocera equipment in the field. There's a bit of redundancy here, but having both the automated machine emails and 24/7 cloud based updates via KFS is pretty awesome. We also set the low toner warning levels to different percentages based on certain criteria such as distance from our office and print volume. It would be nice if the Konica machines could at least give us a heads up before going down. I feel like there has to be some setting that could allow for this?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Hey Phil, how can you sell a contract customer toner? If you know they are legit and close to needing toners you wouldn't send them a set. I guess with me being a smaller company I wouldn't want to have to keep sending or delivering them 4 toners at different times. Of course they would have to be 1/4 or less left for me to send them.

Sir, you need to re-read my post it says " they wanted to keep a BACK UP SET ". they STILL get JIT toner delivery.... but not a backup set of toners

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

That becomes a selling point to your competition. Customers say "if we go with your company, do we get a spare toner on hand?"
    We provide a spare, demand and label the toners "re-order immediately upon installation". There should only be a brief time when there isn't a spare on their shelf, and that's right after installing the last one, or the next to the last, etc. depending on their volume. We dictate how many they should sit on. They should never order from the machine's status.
    Also, we sticker toners intermittently warning about toner phoners trying to pretend they are "your copier company" & sell toners for $400 plus $40 shipping because "toner is going up next month"! Yes, those idiots are making a comeback.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts KMFLT3CH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post
    Is there a way to program Konica Minolta machines to notify us via email that toner is low and not completely out? On Kyocera machines, we're able to set thresholds to notify us when the toner is for example at 10%. This gives us time to prepare a new toner before the machine goes down. On the Konica machines, we only get a notification when the toner is out - which doesn't really do us any good.
    The machine shouldn't be running until it's dry, it should be giving you some sort of warning on the panel that the toner is getting low and to "replace it when indicated."

Have your service tech (or you) check the settings in Service Mode > System 2 > Unit Change.

On that screen, the "Toner Near Empty" warning should be turned on, and just under that you can configure the "Near Empty Display Time" which allows you to fine tune how early the warning shows up on the control panel.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KMFLT3CH View Post

The machine shouldn't be running until it's dry, it should be giving you some sort of warning on the panel that the toner is getting low and to "replace it when indicated."

Have your service tech (or you) check the settings in Service Mode > System 2 > Unit Change.

On that screen, the "Toner Near Empty" warning should be turned on, and just under that you can configure the "Near Empty Display Time" which allows you to fine tune how early the warning shows up on the control panel.

If only configuring that "Near Empty Display Time" would also fine tune when the machine would send "Replenish Toner" status notifications via email.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You are getting off track...no matter what the MFP displays, if someone doesn't see it and call for toner, they will be dead...The original poster's question was low toner notifications...Which KMs do not provide, just out of toner. Now you could install some kind of fleet management tool that would capture these SMP messages and send alerts back to your company to facilitate toner replenishment. Another option would be PSES netcare device manager..This could be configured to email MFP statuses. On the plus side, it's free, on the neg, it's can be difficult to get running and new devices require updated plugin files. Printfleet and MPS are some 3rd party softwares that will do the same thing. Emujo