Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Black trails, dirty aspect : cyan’s or black Image Unit problem ? Or other ?

Hello,

I’ve just bought a second hand bizhub c552 with FS 526 finisher.
    First, it made disapointing copies – less or more dirty aspect on all - as you can see on pictures 1 and 2 : one thin blanck line on the black and white copy and many grey stripes through the entire color copy.

The seller told me it was an cyan’s Image Unit problem : « The Cyan doesn’t fix »
    So I’ve decided to clean it, first by manipulating in and out the cleaning lever, then by using an anti-static and lint-free rag on the accessible section of the photo conductor/C. Finaly, I shaked this drum unit, twice head down and twice head up , before reinstalling it.
    Here are the results of this first cleaning on pictures 3 and 4)

As the thickness of the black trails you see seemed to decrease as the copies went on, I continued to gently manipulate the cleaning lever. Here is the result of this second cleaning (picture 5)

You see a line of black drops that crosses the page at the same place that the black trails were located.
    Then, a last cleaning with the same rag all around the photo conductor/C by making it turn thanks to the gearwheel gave the result on page 6.

Update : Here the last 4 copies I’ve tried, maybe they’re more significant ; they are all made with mono color mode ( 1st : only K / 2nd : only C / 3rd : only M / 4th : only Y ).
    Even if the Cyan doesn’t fix completely ( left side of the copy is a bit wipped ), the Black ink - still on that left side – doesn’t fix at all.
    Magenta and Yellow are ok.

Also, on the verso, a black stripe crosses the back.

Can someone here help me ? Have you ideas about where the problem(s) may come from ? or what advices can you give me on how to procede.

Sorry for my english.

Thanks a lot,

Angélique
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Black trails, dirty aspect : cyan’s or black Image Unit problem ? Or other ?

Black drum maybe.

Re: Black trails, dirty aspect : cyan’s or black Image Unit problem ? Or other ?

Hek of awork. Check K drum and do clean the PHs all of them especially K.
    BH552 is a work horse. Good choice. Ur machine do need some expert hand.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Zesti View Post
    Hek of awork. Check K drum and do clean the PHs all of them especially K.
    BH552 is a work horse. Good choice. Ur machine do need some expert hand.
    Hello and thank you very much for your answers 3ktlc and Zesti.
    Zesti :
    - what do you mean by checking the drum K? is it an attempt to remove and clean the photoconductor, or even replace it ? (picture 1)
    - What do you mean by "cleaning PHs"? Is this the element I attach in the photo? and especially the mirrors? How are they cleaned? (picture 2)
    Sorry to bother you again, but you're the only expert hand I know.... delighted.
    Angélique

Translated with DeepL Translator
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

IMPO, get 4 IUs and a transfer belt and roller.
    then calibrate.
    its a bit of an investment but worth it when you get 100k or more with no image issues.
    dont put a bandaid on a broken arm, replace the consumables and enjoy.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There should be a "wand" to clean the print head (PH) there is a slot that you insert it in to clean each glass (one for each color toner).

Then, I would suspect only the black IU (and maybe cyan for picture 4 I think it was). I would take out the black IU and inspect for developer spew (will look like black toner but will be ferrous (use a magnet to find out). In addition to this, you can get a flashlight and sort of look at the print head slit underneath to see if there is any debris on the window.

Give us the life on the IUs and transfer belt and meter counts

Synthohol is absolutely correct, but getting all that probably will cost just as much as you spent to acquire the machine--but that how it goes with used machinery (especially copiers).

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Synaux View Post
    There should be a "wand" to clean the print head (PH) there is a slot that you insert it in to clean each glass (one for each color toner).

Then, I would suspect only the black IU (and maybe cyan for picture 4 I think it was). I would take out the black IU and inspect for developer spew (will look like black toner but will be ferrous (use a magnet to find out). In addition to this, you can get a flashlight and sort of look at the print head slit underneath to see if there is any debris on the window.

Synthohol is absolutely correct, but getting all that probably will cost just as much as you spent to acquire the machine--but that how it goes with used machinery (especially copiers).
    Hello,

It's really very kind of you to take care of me.
    I haven't opened anything yet but I'll get to it soon, taking your advice and hypotheses into account.

Synaux,
    You're talking about cleaning the print head with a wand. I would like to be sure that we are talking about the same element: according to the documentation, the write section (PH) is the element that I attach in photo 2 on my precedent post. If that's the case, do you mean that I have to open this element to clean each laser drive board ? or more simply, without opening, clean the windows on the element ? And what tools and products should be used to clean?

I think I made a good deal and the photocopies were much better before I started the cleanings I described above.
    I understand Synthohol but I can't afford to buy new all these items, does anyone know of a site where I could buy cheaper equipment?

In any case, thank you, I do not give up dismantling and look at the places you have pointed out to me.
    I attach the status of the consumables.

See you soon,
    Angelica
    Angél-vie conso1.jpgAngél-vie conso2.jpgAngél-vie conso3.jpg

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AngélC552KM View Post

Synaux,
    You're talking about cleaning the print head with a wand. I would like to be sure that we are talking about the same element: according to the documentation, the write section (PH) is the element that I attach in photo 2 on my precedent post. If that's the case, do you mean that I have to open this element to clean each laser drive board ? or more simply, without opening, clean the windows on the element ? And what tools and products should be used to clean?

Similar to what you see in this video. Although this usually only repairs light streaks in the print not dark streaks.

For the c552 the wand will be in the top paper tray underneath a cover.

YouTube

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Synaux View Post

That's exactly what I saw when I pulled out the black UI!
    Ferrous developer spew everywhere !

I removed what I could, but some areas in the machine are inaccessible without a very thorough disassembly. In addition, the toner is well attached to the metal. The wand I had to redo cannot remove the debris on the print head window.
    The cyan IU may be affected, but the black IU is definitely affected!

After a brief cleaning, the problems returned.
    What to do about it?
    Is it possible to tweak to restore the black IU?

A big thank you already,
    Angelique

Angel,
    How much tech experience you have on KM's?
    It's a good practice on these machines to take out the PH unit completely and clean it thoroughly.
    If there is developer spewing, you need to put new developer unit and K drum. The C unit pron to problem due to K unit toner scattering.