Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopierNerd's Avatar

Re: Transfer Roller damaged, damaging Drum Unit

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Had one where the transfer roller metal guide was bent recently did exactly the same as you pictures.
    Not buying the mag brush theory on this one. look at the nature of the damaged. Mag brush will polish the surface off.
    The metal guide is OK.Not bent nor deformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxner View Post
    if you line up the transfer roller and the drum you will see what the wear is. remove the two screws on each end of the transfer roller and remove all but one on each side (black spacer) i have replaced new dev and still did it within 100k. its too much pressure on the drum. dev unit can and will do more damage when they get too bad on the dev unit
    Thank you very much Sir Wayne for your kind reply.
    I have checked it. Transfer roller is exactly in line or opposite to the damaged area, which means the transfer roller end damaged the drum surface.

Removing the black spacers adjacent to end is a good idea. I can try this before replacement.

And if Dev Unit is damaging drum then how can we overcome or troubleshoot it?

I do not know what happened but every time i try to post or reply it takes me out. SIGN OUT!
    i cannot thank and like a reply. i do not have privileges. i am restricted.seems like the admin did this.

i have violated CTN rules & policies, and i have apologized for that earlier.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Transfer Roller damaged, damaging Drum Unit

Quote Originally Posted by CopierNerd View Post
    I have checked it. Transfer roller is exactly in line or opposite to the damaged area, which means the transfer roller end damaged the drum surface.

Removing the black spacers adjacent to end is a good idea. I can try this before replacement.

The drum made it passed yield, that is a good thing. Replace the drum, and the transfer roller if you think it needs to be replaced and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by CopierNerd View Post

Hi! Can someone please share the final solution for this issue? As I have 3 Copying Machine of this type and causing this issue. Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muso View Post
    Hi! Can someone please share the final solution for this issue? As I have 3 Copying Machine of this type and causing this issue. Thanks in advance.
    From what I read and saw throughout this tread, it can only be the drum itself causing this issue. I think, there is some build up on the drum cleaning blade or a piece of hard toner rubbing against the drum inside the drum toner cleaning area. The dev unit I don't think would cause the drum to be worn like that. If anything, the dev unit mag roller itself would be worn and its usually the culprit of hardened toner somewhere in the dev area touching the sleeve.
    If the dev unit spacer was wearing on one side, then you might have seen a progressive fade, but it is in one spot that seems to indicate an object rubbing on the drum .
    Plus, the poster thinks that every consumable last its full life time, and that's not the case all the time. Some fail early, some go more than the rated life, its just that way.

Disassemble the drum and look at the cleaning mechanism there. sometime there are stuff like paper and other things , that causes issues.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    From what I read and saw throughout this tread, it can only be the drum itself causing this issue. I think, there is some build up on the drum cleaning blade or a piece of hard toner rubbing against the drum inside the drum toner cleaning area. The dev unit I don't think would cause the drum to be worn like that. If anything, the dev unit mag roller itself would be worn and its usually the culprit of hardened toner somewhere in the dev area touching the sleeve.
    If the dev unit spacer was wearing on one side, then you might have seen a progressive fade, but it is in one spot that seems to indicate an object rubbing on the drum .
    Plus, the poster thinks that every consumable last its full life time, and that's not the case all the time. Some fail early, some go more than the rated life, its just that way.

Disassemble the drum and look at the cleaning mechanism there. sometime there are stuff like paper and other things , that causes issues.
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I have checked the Drum several times and there is nothing starnge inside it. It even start making problem (Scratch ) with new drum unit with 1K printing. The Dev unit, drum and transfer roller is changed. Transfer roller is exactly in line or opposite to the damaged area, which means the transfer roller end damaged the drum surface.Removing the black spacers adjacent to end is a good idea. Highlited with red I found in prevoius post. But I can't find black spacers in transfer roller unit. Can anyone tell me is any black spacer in transfer roller? The picture is attached. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muso View Post
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I have checked the Drum several times and there is nothing starnge inside it. It even start making problem (Scratch ) with new drum unit with 1K printing. The Dev unit, drum and transfer roller is changed. Transfer roller is exactly in line or opposite to the damaged area, which means the transfer roller end damaged the drum surface.Removing the black spacers adjacent to end is a good idea. Highlited with red I found in prevoius post. But I can't find black spacers in transfer roller unit. Can anyone tell me is any black spacer in transfer roller? The picture is attached. Thanks.

This thread is interesting as to the various replies to the solution, the theories and fixes . To the theory of the mag roller brush causing this problem is supposed to be ruled out, as the brush is just toner and the carrier which are the iron oxide particles remains inside the dev unit, if it is a two component dev system.
    Why it is happening as when new drum and dev and transfer roller is replaced, could be the door itself has some hinge strain and causing to put excessive force on the transfer section and some plastic part is rubbing against the drum. With the strain on the door, it may be out of alignment slightly and causing something to rub against the drum. just a thought.

The line is too obvious straight and the width is consistent, so it has to be something rubbing against the drum . The transfer roller sponge itself cannot damage the drum, of if it does, I have never ever seen that in any machine that i have worked on, even high mileage ones.

Alan, fix where he cut something off could be something to look into. He is kinda crazy, but hey, if he found a fix, well it's a fix.

Don't know this machine myself , but the problem is such, that so many various conclusions, but the majority points to the dev,
    Who else has a take on this.

I remember working on a kyocera fs3560 and it had a high pitch squeeking noise . I lube every bloody thing on that machine, pinch gears, bushing , only for it to com back with the squeek. I was determined to find the source. The only thing left was the transfer roller bushing, and I don't usually lube those, just clean as part of normal maintenance. Well I put a drop of tri-flow oil on it and the noise went away. Also the registration roller pinch roller bushings too make noise sometime.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Trusted Tech
    Transfer Roller damaged, damaging Drum Unit

I enjoyed the thread especially for the idea of 20+ year tech's being considered oldies

20 year techs are newbies to some of us

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    This thread is interesting as to the various replies to the solution, the theories and fixes . To the theory of the mag roller brush causing this problem is supposed to be ruled out, as the brush is just toner and the carrier which are the iron oxide particles remains inside the dev unit, if it is a two component dev system.
    Why it is happening as when new drum and dev and transfer roller is replaced, could be the door itself has some hinge strain and causing to put excessive force on the transfer section and some plastic part is rubbing against the drum. With the strain on the door, it may be out of alignment slightly and causing something to rub against the drum. just a thought.

The line is too obvious straight and the width is consistent, so it has to be something rubbing against the drum . The transfer roller sponge itself cannot damage the drum, of if it does, I have never ever seen that in any machine that i have worked on, even high mileage ones.

Alan, fix where he cut something off could be something to look into. He is kinda crazy, but hey, if he found a fix, well it's a fix.

Don't know this machine myself , but the problem is such, that so many various conclusions, but the majority points to the dev,
    Who else has a take on this.

I remember working on a kyocera fs3560 and it had a high pitch squeeking noise . I lube every bloody thing on that machine, pinch gears, bushing , only for it to com back with the squeek. I was determined to find the source. The only thing left was the transfer roller bushing, and I don't usually lube those, just clean as part of normal maintenance. Well I put a drop of tri-flow oil on it and the noise went away. Also the registration roller pinch roller bushings too make noise sometime.
    Thanks Sir for your reply. I agree that Alan fix is a kinda crazy)). To cut the springs and there is no explanation how much need to cut. And if you cut the springs and the pressure reduse more than needed you may have printing problems (pale printouts). But as he mentioned for him this solution worked. Sharing your experience working with Kyocera can tell that some issues and fixes can be that you never think off)). So what I did replaced this two spacer(round white plastic) from both side of the transfer roller and will be monitoring the drum. But the drum is already a little bit scratched. If the scratch will not increase than I can be sure that the issue is resolved. Otherwise I will hang myself in front of this copying machine))).