Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Smoking?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Smoking?

You need to tell yourself it is time and use lots of mental power. Drinking a lot of water will help flush the stuff out of the system. Then, when you want a smoke.. do something else, take a walk, read a quick article, play with the kids, grandkids, dog, or cat or what ever.

Wash all of your clothes really well and then really clean the carpets and other stuff to get rid of any odor.

this is what worked for me and that was 30 years ago. a pack of generic cigarettes was $1.00 and i though it was tooo expensive.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

I smoked my first cigarette at 5, and swiped/smoked them throughout my childhood. Then I started smoking regularly at age 12. I knew I needed to quit, but like you say, it's tough, nicotine is quite addictive. First decade or so, I switched from regular, to light, to ulltralight. THEN, I started rationing those to one per hour (so, about 16 death sticks a day). Of course, cheat a few half smokes between hours when stressed.
    Price of real cigs got up to $10 per pack here with all the taxes. WOW!
    There was an ad on tv for alternacigs, a cigarette-looking stick with a battery and vaporizer built in, I think the filter had the nicotine (brown part) and screwed to the battery. They tasted NASTY, just like a real cig!! I started using those, but had about 7 packs of light name-brands left. So I 'treated' myself to one real smoke a day, until they were gone.
    A month or 3 in with those, and the company forgot to send my nicotine refills!! I got pissed, shopped online, found johnson creek juice co. who sold "VEA" brand pens. And they had fruity flavored nicotine juice!! That's what I still use 6 years later, I'm not a fan of the thick huge fog-machine giant battery jobs. This gives me a light vape, similar to light cigs.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Smoking?

Started very young and smoked for exactly 50 years. Cigarettes, some pipe, but mostly cigars. My, that time, new cardiologist put his hand on my shoulder, looking into my eyes, asking me "Do you really need that"? I felt like a silly stupid kid caught doing something shameful. The following days I was sitting in my office with in front of me the ashtray and I realized once again the horrible stench of the old cigar butts and almost had to puke. Collected my cigars from all places and put them in the wastebin. Didn't want to be any longer a slave.

Two years now but still every day there is regularly the desire to smoke but I have to remember the stench of the ashtray and am cured again.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

It's amazing to me how I got used to the stench and could not even smell it most of the time when I smoked all day. You get nose-blind!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

smoked from about the age of 12, was on average 2 - 3 packs a day, then 30 years ago i moved into a new flat, saw how bad the old flat was when i moved out, decided i didn't want my new flat to look the same....gave up smoking there and then... Just used will power and nothing else, no nicotine cravings nothing.... though i did put on a bit on a bit of weight as i was eating instead
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts avecosat's Avatar

I was a smoker 20 years and the only way is with willpower, now 25 years ago I do not smoke but I still have the urge to smoke .

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Smoking?

I smoked for around 40 yrs. Stopped around 15 yrs ago. I did some other addicting things in my life but ciggs was the hardest to beat. I still think about a cigg after eating, when drinking, etc.

What finally did it for me was my daughter was born and around the same time I came down with bronchitis. Went to doctors and when he was writing some prescriptions he gave me one for an oxygen tank. I ask what this was for and he said I would need it soon as I was on verge of emphysema. That did it for me, decided I wanted to see my kid grow up. Put the ciggs down and never picked up again. That day I gave up everything, drinking, etc.

Will have a few beers or scotches maybe 5 times a years at parties, etc.

You are in the fight of your life! Best of luck
    Last edited by copyman; 01-04-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Smoking?

I got worried too about customers thinking I stunk. So what helped me quit was taking a new focus on my appearance. Nice clothes, better haircut and getting some nice cologne. Now, I interact with them more confidently and don't have to stay a few steps away.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    I got worried too about customers thinking I stunk. So what helped me quit was taking a new focus on my appearance. Nice clothes, better haircut and getting some nice cologne. Now, I interact with them more confidently and don't have to stay a few steps away.
    Once had a costumer get offended by my plumbers ass crack. e-mailed the boss and manager.
    Very crack conscience since then.
    Whatever

Ok its been more than a week now.
    Using 18mg vape drops on the skin and tung seems to work a charm.
    That and refusing to die...
    Could not breath anymore.
    Whatever